• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Project: Creating a Pokemon League

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    It is certainly POWERFUL, that is for sure, but I dunno how gamebreaking it really is. Depending on how the PC progresses, it might only give her a slight challenge (if time is spent on training up on wild pokemon, for instance), or it may be tormenting for the PC if she did nothing but prey on the local trainers and left it at that. D:
    Now, this may be a hell of a lot of an effort, but if we had some sort of "suspected" levels that the PC would have when she encountered the rival, then we could use libelldra or something like that in order to calculate how much of a boost the knuckles should give in order to make it "challenging" and not "GOD MODE ON"`- and I think that would be a lot better for every single trainer if they don't have to go into the wild to train each poke up 20 levels and still have to use savestates in order to stand a chance at beating the rival. Just my thoughts though.

EDIT: Just think about it though. Marowak has a base Attack of 80, am I correct? Well, as far as I remember, it is the pokemon with one of, if not the highest attack stat available if it is holding onto its belowed club. Say that the rival has a Marowak at level 50, with maxed out stats - giving it an attack stat of 145 - that is, an attack stat of 290 at level 50. In comparison, Rampardos has a maxed out attack stat at 238 at level 50, and Deoxys-A has a stat of 255 at level 50.
    Now, imagine if we gave a Machop this thingy that essentially doubled the power of the only move it's ever going to use, Dynamicpunch. It has a base stat of 80, so that is the same as if we had a Marowak with Earthquake. But what if it was a Machoke (167 * 2 = 334)? Or - if we present your dreaded Machamp, with a beastly attack of 130? Numbers! At level 50, Machamp would have a maxed attack stat of 200 - and the math is quite easy on this one.., I mean, you have to have about 135 base attack in order to attain 400 attack at level 100 - I don't think very much can stand up to this..

Now that was a lot of theorymon, but it seems rather overpowering to me. Perhaps you should either reduce the power it grants to the punches to 50%, or make it so that it decreases defences by 40% or something, due to the ferocity that it induces in the user? Then it would kind of become a Rampardos clone - only with slighty better typing and no immunity to sandstorm, but it wouldn't be gamebreaking at least.

EDIT EDIT: I tweaked my Fire Red rom a little.. and made Marowak's attack stat 130 + I added a thick club. It OHKO'd everything in the Fighting Dojo, and it was level 28 (the opponents pokes was like 34-38) So yeah, I think it's a little overpowered...

Last edited:

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    It is certainly POWERFUL, that is for sure, but I dunno how gamebreaking it really is. Depending on how the PC progresses, it might only give her a slight challenge (if time is spent on training up on wild pokemon, for instance), or it may be tormenting for the PC if she did nothing but prey on the local trainers and left it at that. D:
    Now, this may be a hell of a lot of an effort, but if we had some sort of "suspected" levels that the PC would have when she encountered the rival, then we could use libelldra or something like that in order to calculate how much of a boost the knuckles should give in order to make it "challenging" and not "GOD MODE ON"`- and I think that would be a lot better for every single trainer if they don't have to go into the wild to train each poke up 20 levels and still have to use savestates in order to stand a chance at beating the rival. Just my thoughts though.

EDIT: Just think about it though. Marowak has a base Attack of 80, am I correct? Well, as far as I remember, it is the pokemon with one of, if not the highest attack stat available if it is holding onto its belowed club. Say that the rival has a Marowak at level 50, with maxed out stats - giving it an attack stat of 145 - that is, an attack stat of 290 at level 50. In comparison, Rampardos has a maxed out attack stat at 238 at level 50, and Deoxys-A has a stat of 255 at level 50.
    Now, imagine if we gave a Machop this thingy that essentially doubled the power of the only move it's ever going to use, Dynamicpunch. It has a base stat of 80, so that is the same as if we had a Marowak with Earthquake. But what if it was a Machoke (167 * 2 = 334)? Or - if we present your dreaded Machamp, with a beastly attack of 130? Numbers! At level 50, Machamp would have a maxed attack stat of 200 - and the math is quite easy on this one.., I mean, you have to have about 135 base attack in order to attain 400 attack at level 100 - I don't think very much can stand up to this..

Now that was a lot of theorymon, but it seems rather overpowering to me. Perhaps you should either reduce the power it grants to the punches to 50%, or make it so that it decreases defences by 40% or something, due to the ferocity that it induces in the user? Then it would kind of become a Rampardos clone - only with slighty better typing and no immunity to sandstorm, but it wouldn't be gamebreaking at least.

EDIT EDIT: I tweaked my Fire Red rom a little.. and made Marowak's attack stat 130 + I added a thick club. It OHKO'd everything in the Fighting Dojo, and it was level 28 (the opponents pokes was like 34-38) So yeah, I think it's a little overpowered...

Wow, that is overpowering if Marowak runs through everything when you tweaked it. Brass Knuckles are definitely broken at this point, so I'm going to make it more like a physical Life Orb without the recoil. Damage of Physical attacks on Fighting types will be boosted to 150% instead of 200%. That should take quite a bit off of Machamp's power.

I considered the drop in defenses, but then considered the use of Brass Knuckles irl. Really they are only used to pummel opponents in fights. It doesn't give the user a defensive disadvantage either (its kind of like tinier versions of boxing gloves that can cut you more on impact). It doesn't really fit with the item, so I chose not to add them.

What I could do though is that since brass knuckles may not always fit properly, there is a 10% chance that the holder will drop them during the battle, and will have to spend one turn immobilized while it picks up the knuckles again. That will be hard to pull off, but if it could be implemented, I think it would work.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    I approve of your changes, though I guess the knuckles are easier to interplant with the +50% boost rather than the 10% chance for dropping them. (But it is a really nice idea.)

Just a question considering the availability of the item - will there be a chance to find it on a few wild Machop and Machoke, or is it rival-exclusive?

Completely off-topic:
    Brock wasn't made by us. I pity him.

Oh well, at least I got a nice new siggy out of it :D

Last edited:

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    I approve of your changes, though I guess the knuckles are easier to interplant with the +50% boost rather than the 10% chance for dropping them. (But it is a really nice idea.)

Just a question considering the availability of the item - will there be a chance to find it on a few wild Machop and Machoke, or is it rival-exclusive?

Completely off-topic:
    Brock wasn't made by us. I pity him.

Oh well, at least I got a nice new siggy out of it :D

Brass Knuckles being found in the wild is most likely not going to happen based off of the item being human developed. However, if Maci built a factory into one of the towns, then there could be something like 5% chance of finding either an Iron Ore or a Coal Lump on any Pokemon found in caves. Then, 3 Iron ores and 1 Coal Lump could be used in the factory to make a set of Brass Knuckles.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    True. There should be a script for that in R/S/E if I'm not mistaken, iirc you must collect a couple of shoal shells in order to make a shell bell or something like that, so it has been done before..

EDIT: Brass is made out of Copper and Tin, if I've learned anything from Runescape - you should probably change that :P

Last edited:

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2017
    Added strategy for the first three encounters with Hibino Hikaru.

If the name's too long, go with Hikaru.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    True. There should be a script for that in R/S/E if I'm not mistaken, iirc you must collect a couple of shoal shells in order to make a shell bell or something like that, so it has been done before..

EDIT: Brass is made out of Copper and Tin, if I've learned anything from Runescape - you should probably change that :P

Wait.. since when did RS start making Brass? I've been away from that game for a very long time :/

There is a script for the Shoal Cave near Mossdeep. We could implement that script and collect the metal ores in a Cave then take them to a factory somewhere.

Oh, and brass knuckles can use all different kinds of metal in their production. Technically the item name should be Steel Brass Knuckles, but that's quite a mouthful.

@raekuul- You really don't need strategy for the first three encounters, just the last 2.

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2017
    Actually, because the Beedrill and Ninjask change their roles between encounters, I thought it would be a good idea to...

You know what, screw rationalizing. Everyone else was doing it, so I did it too.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    I've had some stuff come up irl, so I won't be around much during the Contest Rival submissions. Hopefully I'll be back for the Free Rival submission though.

Maci12

Gym Leader
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Just for clarification, the project is on a two week vacation. Contest Rival opens after the New Year.

Maci12

Gym Leader
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Hey guys, the project is back in full swing this coming Monday, and on that day I will announce the winners of those rounds. I'm starting a new system with votes; PM your votes to me so no one is influenced by voting trends. I'm excited to have this back up soon =]

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    Sweet, it's almost time for the new rounds! And I like the PM way. It keeps you more in suspense as well, since the person creator can't look at the votes.

By the way, I asked this earlier. Do you need contest moves, or battle moves for this rival?

Last edited:

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    I'm going to sit out the Contest Rival round (mainly because I suck at contests lol), but I'll be using that time to get a jumpstart on my Open Rival, so watch out!

Maci12

Gym Leader
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Reserving this post for the Contest Rival Information and the Criminal Rival Poll. I'll have them up later today; I'm busy right now.

Zeta Dimentio: I'm gonna leave that up to you; you can choose to have either contest movesets (which can be found on Serebii), or competitive movesets (which can be found on Smogon, here, and Serebii).

Back