• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

Years
    Pros: The music, I really feel like they've worked hard as the soundtrack is amazing, themes like Souryuu City, Elite 4 battle, Rival battle and the Battle Subway sountrack are amazing. Also I must be one of the few people who really likes the new Pokémon, none have particularly looked that bad for me.
    The new EXP system, it makes it much easier to get a balanced team especially as you get a Lucky Egg quite early on.

Cons: The removal of the VS Seeker.
    The removal of walking Pokémon, but it's nothing too major.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Pros: The music, I really feel like they've worked hard as the soundtrack is amazing, themes like Souryuu City, Elite 4 battle, Rival battle and the Battle Subway sountrack are amazing. Also I must be one of the few people who really likes the new Pokémon, none have particularly looked that bad for me.
    The new EXP system, it makes it much easier to get a balanced team especially as you get a Lucky Egg quite early on.

Definitely disappointed they removed the VS Seeker. There are other ways to make money around now, but it was something I used often. Especially with the many trainers in B/W, the VS Seeker would have come in handy quite a bit of times for me. :(

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    Pros: I liked some pokemon's designs. A lot of the music is good. The new Exp. system (if you fall behind it's easier to catch back up).

Cons: Other pokemon's designs (they're either really good or terrible, not much in between). N's Music (It's my least favorite track. Not to say it's absolutely terrible, but...). Can't walk with pokemon. The new EXP system (If you get ahead, it's harder to stay ahead.)

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    Everyone whining about how the Pokemon look are all people who just saw them for the first time.

Eventually, they will grow on you. They always do. People always whine about the Pokemon at first, I find it quite annoying actually. Then they love them after 2 weeks. :/

The Pokemon are creative, they look nice. For the most part. The region is diverse. The new features are fun, and actually make you want to the play the game after you beat the E4. In my opinion, the 5th generation games are the best so far.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Everyone whining about how the Pokemon look are all people who just saw them for the first time.

Eventually, they will grow on you. They always do. People always whine about the Pokemon at first, I find it quite annoying actually. Then they love them after 2 weeks. :/

While designs tend to grow on people after a while, it is not a definite occurrence. Months later I'm still having reserves about Daikenki's design. Maggyo looks as herpderp-ishly annoying as the first day I saw it, and Daikenki's design is just...garbage. >_> Crimgan's color scheme has been bothering me for quite a while, as well. I still cringe when I see Probopass at times, and I've had years to get used to its design/concept.

Well, it's nice to hear that a Lucky Egg is obtained early - or even obtained at all! Getting one in FireRed is nearly hopeless due to Chansey's chance of fleeing in the Safari Zone, unfavorable catch rate and the difficulty involved, and the 5% chance of a Lucky Egg actually being held by the Chansey. At least in DPPt, it doesn't have a chance of fleeing, so Generation 4 eases things slightly.

The removal of the VS Seeker is somewhat troublesome... If being produced, I wish Gray Version and the RS remakes have much more reliable methods of training than the player monotonously challenging the Elite 4 and the Champion repeatedly.

Furthermore, yet another Con with BW: Glass Flutes relegated to "valuable items"! (i.e., Nuggets and Pearls only usable for sales). Seriously, WTF, Game Freak? If you're going to bother coding them into the game, why not let them retain their original abilities? (If it's for Awakening and similar items being buyable, just make the Glass Flutes rare!) It almost feels like an insult to Generation 3's glass-making system, and I am really wondering how RS remakes will fare with all of BW's horrendous flaws potentially affecting the remakes.

Chadlington

Aka Will Vailencourt
    Years
    I dont like that there is no new Eevee evo. This has been the way through all generations so far. Except G3 i tink. I was hoping for a ghost type called Mysteon or a Flying type called Soareon or something. Disapointed.

I also dont like that apparently you wont be able to use any older gen pokemon until you finish the game. NO EEVEE! whats going on!!! Devastated...

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2011
    Taking away the game corner indefinitely. I miss that little gem :c

Also, HGSS' pokemon following you shouldn't have been a one-time thing :<

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Pro: That TM's can be reused.

Con: You can use the new Pokemon pre-national dex but everything else is nowhere to be seen.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    Con: We've noticed that each new game sort of has "mascot" other than the one that's literally on the game cover. They're usually one of the first Pokemon seen - in 2007-8 it was Riolu and Lucario, and now it's Zorua and Zoroark. Riolu was obtainable in DPPt, even if in one egg, but now Zorua is an event Pokemon. What if you can't access Wifi on your DS? :/

Years
    The C-Gear.
    I don't get it... Apart from the communication aspect, what's the point?
    I'd much prefer a Pokenav, Pokegear, or even a Poketch.
    Seriously.
    Oh, and the lack of a VS Seeker.

Furthermore, yet another Con with BW: Glass Flutes relegated to "valuable items"! (i.e., Nuggets and Pearls only usable for sales). Seriously, WTF, Game Freak? If you're going to bother coding them into the game, why not let them retain their original abilities? (If it's for Awakening and similar items being buyable, just make the Glass Flutes rare!) It almost feels like an insult to Generation 3's glass-making system, and I am really wondering how RS remakes will fare with all of BW's horrendous flaws potentially affecting the remakes.

This... ^
    REALLY. WHY. GAME. FREAK.
    In Gen 3 these were possibly the most useful 5 items. In Gen 3, you didn't need Full Heals if you had these! Whether they snapped a Pokemon out of confusion, or awakened them, or even made wild Pokemon less or more likely to appear, they always came in handy. So, why on earth have they now been turned into just valuable items?! It just really annoys me. They've got rid of most of the good things (like these, vs seeker etc.). I just want to know why.
    WHY, GAME FREAK? WHY!?

Also, I'm sad about the removal of your Pokemon walking behind you. My Snorlax was the only thing that kept me from riding everywhere on a bike. But I suppose I'll be on my bike again for most of Black and White. Just like some things were introduced just for Leafgreen and Firered, it seems this was a one off two. It's a shame.

Yet another con (that will probably not even matter :P)
    The region looks tiny compared to others. And don't you need only 1 HM to complete the story?
    And haven't secret bases been removed for the Dream World?

Anyway, Pros.
    Well, I like most of the new Pokemon for a start. :D
    And I think the re-usable TMs are good. (Even if they do make the game easier. And we'll not be seeing any "TMs break after one use, so use them wisely!" speeches this time around xD)

So... yeah.
    And despite all the cons, I still can't wait until next week! :D

-Totodile42

Last edited:

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    I hate the endless remixes of the trainer battle theme. (Seriously. There's like ten of them. The only good ones are the original and subway trainer.) Oh, and I almost forgot: NO PIKACHU!

Mr. L

Tea.
    Years
    Yet another Fire/Fighting type starter.
    No old Pokemon.
    VGC 2011 only allows Gen V Pokemon.

...an Ice Cream cone Pokemon, seriously?

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2011
    I like the new animation system they gave the pokemon, but some of them are just weird. I see a pattern: repeat animation 3-6 times, play different animation once or twice, repeat. I mean yes, it's a start, and they had to make animations for every single Pokemon and their back sprites, but... Eh, some just look weird. For others it works, but for some... They just ending up looking stupider.

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
    Years
    Pokemon just lost alot of its buyers... I just can't say how let down I am... New York setting is the only thing besides the storyline I liked... Everything else can go away... Someone hacks B/W and replaces these god awful looking piles of garbage (literally) with older Pokemon and I'll play that...

I doubt they lost as many as you think they did.

If you're a true Pokemon fan, I don't see why you all are complaining so much about how the Pokemon look. They'll probably grow on you sooner or later anyway.

I have been playing since Blue and Red and there has never been a Pokemon I disliked.

I am so over-joyed at the new game I can't wait! All the Pokemon and the places look amazing.

Years
    It's true that Black and White will probably never reach to the sheer amount of buyers of Red and Blue (Black and White sold 2.63 million, whereas Red, Blue and Green has over 10 million, both on opening, in Japan.), but you can't deny Black and White shall be a big hit, and Gamefreak is constantly gaining new buyers, so please shut up about it not going to sell well, or Gamefreak is losing buers as you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

The only con in this generation is the choice of sprites. Who in God's name was in charge of telling the spriters to use D/P sprites, arguably the worst sprites of Gen 4. My God Gamefreak, why?

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2011
    Although I do like some of DPPt's sprites (Platinum's trumps DP however), I kind of have to agree with you. Some sprites were poorly done.

Some of the newer sprites are actually pretty appealing, however. :)

Back