• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

Blaziken15

You gotta purty mouth!
Years
  • I like most things about the games accept for a few things.

- Some new Pokemon don't fit in with the others (eg: Candle Pokemon)
    - You cannot name your rivals. That was where I got creative
    - Pokemon no longer follow you like in HG/SS
    - Too many storyline events. Everytime I got to train my team, my rival shows up or N or Team Plasma

Other than that, I really like everything else.

Years
  • - Some new Pokemon don't fit in with the others (eg: Candle Pokemon)

Litwick's evolutionary line makes perfect sense, not sure where you go that one. Candle > Lamp > Chandelier. All have to do with candles/light sources, and all are based around the Hinotama, or the Will - O - The -Wisp.

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    I'm gonna go with Pros and Cons of the English version, since at some point my initial pros/cons were back on the Japanese game.

Pros:
    - Finally the Pokémon names are in the correct case. They should've dealt with this back with DP or even RSE.

Cons:
    - Awkwardly overuse of the ALL CAPS. There were menus in the Kanji mode in the Japanese game which would display the names in English (C-Gear, Pokédex, etc.) and in proper cases. In the ENGLISH games IT WOULD LOOK LIKE THIS.

- Lack of AM/PM on the American English version. It seems weird to have AM/PM on the Japanese games when its used here way more.

- Some of the English names are stupid corruptions of the Japanese names. If you're gonna go towards the original names, why not use them? Examples: Emolga, Gothitelle, Ghetsis, Zorua.

All of these are just pros/cons with the aesthetic choices of the localization. I still love these games.

Kai Yamato

Lone Soldier
    Years
  • Lack of diverse movepool?

I was rather disappointed how they replaced some of the TMs. Then I come to terms with it that it might be a big problem. Then I look at the new Pokemon's movepool. It's terrible. It may be me but I felt like that several Pokemon lost diversity. And it seems like the only good dark type move id Payback. And Snarl, one of the few dark type special attack is event only. I can only hope that there are move tutors in the third version that lets you teach old TM moves and the elemental punches since Gamefreak seems to love them that much.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I was rather disappointed how they replaced some of the TMs. Then I come to terms with it that it might be a big problem. Then I look at the new Pokemon's movepool. It's terrible. It may be me but I felt like that several Pokemon lost diversity. And it seems like the only good dark type move id Payback. And Snarl, one of the few dark type special attack is event only. I can only hope that there are move tutors in the third version that lets you teach old TM moves and the elemental punches since Gamefreak seems to love them that much.

Seems like it fits into pros/cons imo, because as it is we already have about 3 or so threads covering different types of attacks. And anyway, not everyone may think the same as far as dark attacks go. You can post your favourite dark moves and such in the attacks thread, though.

I'll be posting my pros/cons later, btw!

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2011
    The new TM thing. Its really all I really dislike.
    the new tm thing is like the best part of the game IMO no more going to the quick trade thread and asking for tms because youll always have it saves alot of time for ev training pokemon and getting thier movesets and also you can experiment with diffrent tm moves as much as you like

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Pros

- Awesome soundtrack
    - Great mapping with lovely and enticing palettes / sprites
    - Most in-depth story of Pokemon history
    - More difficult battles and story progression
    - Correct casing introduced (as someone mentioned, the Pokemon names are "Audino" and not "AUDINO")
    - Constantly moving sprites and pleasing face sets for characters

Cons

- Terrible Pokemon names and shiny sprites (for the most part)
    - Pixellish backsprites, and odd-looking NPCs with black holes for eyes
    - Brunettes. Again. I'd like a blonde hero/heroine for once, please

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    the new tm thing is like the best part of the game IMO no more going to the quick trade thread and asking for tms because youll always have it saves alot of time for ev training pokemon and getting thier movesets and also you can experiment with diffrent tm moves as much as you like

I heard that they did that at least partly because of all the new Pokemon and the lack of classics until very late. They expected you to switch your team often, and didn't want to leave you underpowered until you decided on a final team to teach the TMs to, so they made them reusable.

- You cannot name your rivals. That was where I got creative

https://www.vgcats.com/super/?strip_id=1 (language warning)

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2013
    Pros
    - The new abilities. Some of them were very useful (Such as the one that boosts speed in a sandstorm, and Barbs)

- The new items. Can't say I'm a fan of the way that they did the TMs, but only needing to get one Earthquake TM is a big improvement.

- Increased difficulty of trainers and gyms, although some of them were a little to easy with the fire type starter. Downside to their increased difficulty was the lack of money that they provided from winning.

- animations for the pokemon you are facing.

- Seasonal variation. Although, I feel like as though its unrealistic. Each season given an equal length of time? Its disturbing to somebody who sees snow for half of the year. I'm keeping the game on one month for a long time.

- Mapping and graphics for locations.

- Legendary pokemon that are difficult to capture.

Cons
    - animation for the moves. Some have improved, somewhat closer to the way that they look on the Pokemon games for the Wii, so it isn't a con for all of the moves.

- the back sprites were blockier than a Lego set.

- The starters. Once again, two that only had a single type, and another fire/fighting starter. They couldn't have another Grass/Poison or Water/Ground type, or a new Grass/Electric, Water/Poison, or Fire/Ground type starter? Gen I and Gen III was perhaps the best for starters, and it doesn't appear as though they've even attempted to improve the final evolutions of the starters. The final evolution for the Water type was supposed to resemble a samurai, but they couldn't make him Water/Fighting? Seems like a letdown.

- Before the Elite Four, no way (that I've found) for you to challenge somebody again to make more money to get essential items for the Elite Four and to pay to get Pokemon out of the day care once you have what you want to get from breeding. Even with the Amulet Coin, I still don't have enough cash to get the items I want. Supposedly there are a few that you can face repeatedly, but not a lot. While there is the ability to sell some items for much more than they would otherwise be worth doesn't really compensate for that.

Last edited:

SukoSuNa

Nelson Mac Champ
    Years
  • The only thing I'm a little disapointed in at the moment. Is the fact that they didn't make any diagonal sprites for when the camera shifts top a diagonal view. It looks really awkward and I doubt it would be that difficult to add. Oh and Pokemon musical was disapointing, I dressed up a pokemon and watched the sprite jump up and down for a minute.

Years
  • The only con I can think of is probably Pokemon Musicals, was actually expecting dancing...

Y'all complain too much, geez give Gamefreak a break, they worked their asses off on these games

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    The pros IMO: Great use of the 3d engine, fontastic storyline, difficultly level greatly increased,& i just lvoe everything except:

Cons: Snivys moveset is awful,Larvesta takes forever to evolve, & the pseudo-legends 1st 2 stages are worthless& arent worth the 20something levels evolving it let alone 63levels from an egg, Castelia city loads rather slowly so it sometimes looks like parts of the buildin are broken away from the rest as you move. the back sprites are horribly pixelated & the battle field itself is WAY too pixelated youd think with how beautiful heartgold& soul silvers graphics were theyd be able to at least improve on the battle field& back sprites,and the fact that TMs Flamethrower,Energy Ball,& Ice beam arent available til after you beat Ghetsis, other than that the game is fontastic

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    One con that frustrates me throughout the game, but in the beginning especially: the lack of touchpad use. In HG/SS, I could use the touchpad for nearly everything, such as advancing conversations or opening the menu. Because they used the C-Gear for the bottom screen, the touchpad is essentially useless 90% of the time unless you use the C-Gear a lot (I don't). I always get frustrated when games are made for the DS and they don't take advantage of the ability to use a touchscreen in the game. What a waste of the DS' biggest advantage.

2Blue4u

Red Doesn't Come Close
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Sep 20, 2014
    Pros- Better storyline

Cons-1. You can't reset in front of the Day Care Center guy and still get the same nature Pokemon. It's making me really angry.
    2. Zekrom/Reshiram/Victini can't be shiny. I understand the latter is an event, but there's no excuse for the two former.
    3. They completely did away with the Poketch. No step counter, no coin flip, no sketch pad. It makes me really upset that they took that away. I really liked it about Platinum.
    4. The difficulty of getting the Pokemon I want specifically is really starting to annoy me. Will seriously competitive players still find a way to get what they want? Sure. Will I have the patience to figure out the new Random Number Generator system, the Dream World, and the new breeding methods? Probably not. I can't wait until they release more information, but Game Freak didn't have to change everything from the last gen.

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    They made this game the way they did because its not just an upgrade like Platinum was, its just a new Gen game.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2011
    Some of the new Pokemon. They just look really off. I mean, I've always said don't judge a book by its cover, but still, Candle Pokemon?

Also, unbreakable TMs. They're just making the games easier and easier these days. Having said that, TMs could be really rare, in which case this feature would be cool. But we'll see.

first off, agreed about the pokemon thing. i mean, an ice cream cone?

also. the only thing that breakable TM's did was make it harder to get moves you want and make it so that it took way longer then it needed to. really i have no issues so far but i'm only on gym 2 so that may or may not change. i also found though that they have beefed up AI pokemon levels, that might just be me though. the only thing i'v seen so far is them making it more convenient and less making you do unneeded work. i think they have done a fantastic job so far, even the bad guys are cool again!
    EDIT: ok after reading some of you comments i have one last thing to add: some of you are complaining so much it's insane. one complaint i read, "the spirits are blocky". of course they are blocky! they move! a little bit less neat for movement is a great trade off!

Last edited:

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • Undewelming story..?

Well, after hours of just fooling around in the game, catching Pokemon, finding every little secret and hidden item I could, talk to literally every NPC, I have finally completely the storyline.

And I have to say, I am very disappointed.

Don't get me wrong. This is by far the BEST story of ANY Pokemon game so far. Not many have had a well put together story, more-or-less it was about catching them all. The plot was very nice to me, I literally fell in love with N by the end... Not too mention the bad guys seem to have an actually plausible motive. (Until Ghetsis ruined everything.)

BUT.

It should have been so much longer and intensive!! I mean, look at some of the things that never got touched much; (Warning, major spoiler)
    Spoiler:

It's like Pokemon Black and White were condensed down when it was made for the DS. It seems like there should have been so much more involvement in the story. Still not saying it is bad, but it just made me wanting more with all of the things I do not know.

And I am sure there are many other plot holes and stuff, I'm just listing the few that got my most attention.

Back