• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question about the entire franchise

Ultra Guardian DJ James

Horse Rider/Team Rocket/Plasma Member/Ultra Guardi
Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2024
    When the anime premiered in Japan in 1997, then started in the United States in 1998, did the original Japanese name "Pocket Monsters" actually combined together those two words to make it a one word and made it as "Pokémon"? 🤔

PB

creation hero
    Years
  • I'm not sure I understand the question? Pokemon is a short version localized of Pocket Monsters, yes :o

Years
  • if my memory serves right, the name pocket monsters was too close to an existing american tv show (monsters in my pocket i think?), so to avoid any legal issues, they came up with the idea to shorten it to Pokemon. little did they know that small little name change would make such a big impact to the franchise. like seriously, i don't think an anime called Pocket Monsters would ever make it big in the western world.

Years
  • I'm sure I read somewhere that the monster in my pocket trademark issue was the reason we got the pronunciation we have and the accent over the E.

Pronunciation and trademarks aside, shortening into one word was also possibly due to limited space on the gameboy screen.

Back