• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Questionable translation?

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
    This is probably nothing - in fact - I'm probably the only one who's OCD to notice. But I just felt I should ask: does anyone else find the English translation in HG/SS a little... wonky? I mean, literally speaking the translation is fine and all text in the game makes grammatical sense but I can't help but feel the style has changed dramatically since Diamond/Pearl. Some sentences are worded really quite poorly; I'd give specific examples, but I can't think of any at the moment. Just compare the starting Oak sequence in HG/SS to the original in G/S/C. The dialog in HG/SS is a lot more awkward.

I also recently found out that the freelance translator who was responsible for translating every Pokemon game up to D/P/Pt (Nob Ogasawara) didn't do any translation for HG/SS, which I guess could explain it.

FFX383

Pokemon Master
    Years
    Yea i noticed it too. When i was going through the game i thought of the original and it didnt have the same feeling that the originals did.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2010
    Yes I think the script is rather bad, it's a little tedious to read at times. I generally just skip as much text as I can so not to fry my brain so badly it screws my talking patterns so much I begin constantly end sentences with exclamation marks and being overly to the point and short with every major detail.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    Yeah I did notice that, I remember one specifically in one of the first 3 towns, but I can't remember where. The NPC said something that didn't make sense really, I wish I could remember which one said it though.

Oh well, I'll probably see it again.

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
    Years
    I remember most things from the originals and the trainers + E4/gymleaders say exactly the same things that they did on the originals no sentences where changed

Mr. Poke

The Pokemon Trader
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    i thought i was the only one who noticed this, but yeah it was a drastic change.

Deja Vu

Smug Lord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    I noticed that some of the Kanto scripts were translated quite poorly, but I can't give examples. (And no I'm not talking about the foreign team rocket guy."

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    I have noticed this. particularly when there appears to be line breaks between the texts. Sometimes when you press A to advance the dialogue, there is an empty line between them, which annoys me slightly.

In truth, I felt a bit iffy about the translation ever since I began playing.

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
    Years
    Biggest text thing ive noticed was Claires reaction to you passing the test, it felt akward to read, both times.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    Yeah, I feel the same way. Especially with:

"Totodile looks to be about to fall over."

But that's the biggest engrish thing i saw in the game.

That looks... maybe gramatically correct, but not very flowing, and not very well worded.

You've all intrigued me. My SS arrives in the morning and now I'll be looking out for the text now. @.@

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Cynthia's text was awkward to read when the Mystri Stage event was activated. It's annoying, but the Rocket Grunt... well, that accent I'm used to.

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    In the Japanese version as well?

ok so while having my nostalgia seizure I talked to every NPC (and I mean all of them) and one thing I noticed is the the guy in Whitney's gym said "You won? Great! I didn't notice I was too busy admiring all of the powerful trainers". ummm no. He should not admiring trainers he should be admiring the "beautiful girls" like the original games!!!
    I also noticed the old man in front of Erika's gym says a similar thing "Hehe this gym is great! Its full of powerful trainers!". Why doesn't he say "women"?
    Did they screw up this in the Japanese versions as well or is this a "little kid friendly alternate translation"?

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I didn't notice anything out-of-place.

Maybe because it's the French version lol :< It seems to be well-done, in any case.

Back