• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Design Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
I need help with the name of my gym leaders, I gave many of them good names, but two remain.

I need help with the name of the badges too.

Here is the list:

Sylvianne (Female): First gym leader Grass type, basically based on a forest saver(people who protect the forests).
Badge: The design is finaliased, though I haven't thought the name (need help). Root Badge
Root Badge, Stump badge, Petal Badge, you name it. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a name for a grass badge, just pick something nature related..." I really like the sound of Petal badge though.

(Male) Fourth gym leader is a Poison type gym leader based on an alchemist, I need names for him.
Badge: Venom/Concoction badge. (need suggestions).
For the leader, what about Ian (from Ion) or Sith/Cid (from Acid) As for the badge. Something like the Sludge badge or Venom badge should do the trick, right?

Derek (Male): Fifth gym leader Dark type, he is based on a magican.
Badge: Need a little help with the name and design. Since he's a magician, why not mane it the trick, show or stunt badge? you can also name it the night badge, and shape it after the moon

(Female) Seventh Gym leader is a Normal type gym leader, she is based on an artist, I don't want to give her the name 'Kala' because it doesn't suit her look.
Badge: Pallete badge.
How about Regina or Mallory?

If you feel like anything needs to be changed just tell me.
Suggestions are in bold, hope this helps you!

The m

???
Years
Cid Sounds awesome!

Ok from now,
Frst badge is Root Badge,
Fourth gym leader is cid and the fourth badge is Sludge badge,
And Seventh gym leader is Mallory.

Thanks for the suggestions :D!

Sales_Kital

Champion of Sinnoh
Years
I'm currently having trouble comming up with a base idea for the fire starter for my Pokemon Fangame, it's a Fire-Fairy type and I just can't think of anything. Anyone have any ideas that could help?

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
I'm currently having trouble comming up with a base idea for the fire starter for my Pokemon Fangame, it's a Fire-Fairy type and I just can't think of anything. Anyone have any ideas that could help?
Perhaps you could look into fairy/faerie mythology and get ideas from there? There's a lot of really neat fae lore.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years

you could make it straight fire as a first form, and have it be sort of like a fire fly
then have it evolve into a sort of cocoon type of thing like larvitar/pupitar, and be fire/fairy, then have it evovle into a dragon-esq hybrid and be fire/fairy, and be a sort of teaser like charizard (being fire/flying but looking akin to a dragon)

Ultimo Spriter

I'm back ...
Years

You could look at how Ninti does it for help.
  • Fire starters I believe are based around the Chinese Zodiac so for example Fairy type could coincide with a rabbit or a sheep.
  • Starters seem to share a general theme too if your stuck on ideas. The 4th gen starters are based around mythology and 6th gen has a theif/mage/warrior reationship. My starters are based on different modes of transportation for example because its something I'm emphasising in my game. If you want to go down the route of theme, see if you can make a connection between your other two starters and then see if that connection can support a third entity.
  • Fairy is a pretty good typing for ideas as well due to it being connected to magic. Providing a quote from the guidebook in case you have doubt,
    "In many cultures, it has been thought that magical creatures had a weakness to iron. Perhaps it's no wonder that the mystical Fairy type seems similarly weak to the cold, hard touch of Steel?"
    This makes for a really easy springboard into ideas. First thought that comes to mind is clearly a phoenix. After that, a will-o-wisp comes second. Hell, combine the two to have a phoenix Pokemon that guides people to something cheerful.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
New Fan Made Mega Evolution's Abilites

When mega evolution came out I decided to make mega forms of the starter Pokemon in my game since they only had two forms, and didn't want to change their official evolution lines. I have the stats and designs all figured out, but want to make custom abilities for them and wanted feedback on my ideas. I feel like some of these might be too overpowered, and want to know your ideas/opinions on them.

Toxicroak: Intoxicate
L3l2i4f.png
yIDhmBK.png

Description: Whenever a Pokemon comes in direct contact, or this Pokemon contacts another, it is badly poisoned.

Notes: The poison effect is the same as if toxic was used, increasing the damage caused each turn.

Weavile: Demon's Deal

Description: Dark and Ice type moves deal 2 times damage, but cost 25% of the Pokemon's HP per use.

Notes: I was originally going to give Ice and Dark type moves priority too, but feel that would be too overpowered, even if the health loss was boosted to 33%.

Xatu: Meditation
D7CqxDW.png

Description: Super effective moves deal regular damage, normal damaging moves deal half damage, and not very effective moves become ineffective against this Pokemon.

Notes: So basically this pokemon now has no weaknesses. Every damage state is bumped down a level.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
I like these. I am curious on how you will go about implementing these into Essentials, though.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
In my game, I have a system, based on dive, where Fly no longer teleports the player, but rather makes them fly into the sky, where there's a sky-overworld.

My question is, do you think sky-battles should be forced? (I mean you can only use Pokémon that can fly or levitate. They don't need the ability or type, just the design for it.)
Or should I do it like with surf in the original games, everything is allowed?

And a follow-up question:
If I end up using skybattlers only in the sky, should I do the same with surfing, so you can't use your Fire-type, or Pokémon that can't swim?

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I like the sound of Weaviles ability... I'm always up for more "complicated" abilities, than just boosts speed or paralyzes if touched... It's too basic in my opinion... But are the new mega evos going to have their own abilities, like these, or just a select few?

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
In my game, I have a system, based on dive, where Fly no longer teleports the player, but rather makes them fly into the sky, where there's a sky-overworld.

My question is, do you think sky-battles should be forced? (I mean you can only use Pokémon that can fly or levitate. They don't need the ability or type, just the design for it.)
Or should I do it like with surf in the original games, everything is allowed?

And a follow-up question:
If I end up using skybattlers only in the sky, should I do the same with surfing, so you can't use your Fire-type, or Pokémon that can't swim?

I'd say split the two, have it be like in surf where wild pokemon show up and you can use w/e to battle, but then there are sky trainers floating around itching for a battle where you only have sky battles, instead of a traditional battle

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
I'd say split the two, have it be like in surf where wild pokemon show up and you can use w/e to battle, but then there are sky trainers floating around itching for a battle where you only have sky battles, instead of a traditional battle

I would go with this. It seems more logical and fun. I WOULD suggest the same for Surf, but I feel Pokemon like Lanturn would be OP.

tImE

Years
Hm...
As I have yet to script the Sky Battle System, I'll stick with the standard for now, but having only the trainers be Sky Battles seem logical from a gameplay viewpoint.

Thanks for the input!

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I would go with this. It seems more logical and fun. I WOULD suggest the same for Surf, but I feel Pokemon like Lanturn would be OP.

the problem with having the same thing for surf is that there are no water battles and water trainers...at least sky battles and sky trainers is a real thing

tImE

Years
the problem with having the same thing for surf is that there are no water battles and water trainers...at least sky battles and sky trainers is a real thing

Why should the restriction be what Nintendo has made or hasn't made?

The scripting issue remains for both and they would use the exact same code, just copy-pasted and edited.

I've thought Pokémon like Charmander or Golem fighting in the middle of the ocean ridiculous since generation 1, which is why I had the thought in the first place.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years

I don't think that should mean having water battles cannot be a thing. Changing nonsensical things like that seems pretty flavorful and adjust an otherwise profound lack of logic in the games.

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
Why should the restriction be what Nintendo has made or hasn't made?

The scripting issue remains for both and they would use the exact same code, just copy-pasted and edited.

I've thought Pokémon like Charmander or Golem fighting in the middle of the ocean ridiculous since generation 1, which is why I had the thought in the first place.

While I agree about the ridiculousness and disagree with Saving Raven, my main qualm is the amount of balanced pokemon. It would most likely rely purely on second types unless you were to include a wide variety of pokemon. But otherwise, I would go for it in trainer battles!

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I agree I realized the stupidity of my statement when I posted it, but my point is that it puts restrictions on the player not intended by the game's design. While we think charmander cannot survive in water, but can be used in battle is moronic, to restrict the player from doing so makes it hard to allow the player to be fully immersed in the game and I dont think there should be restrictions like that.

For example, in sky battles you can only use flying pokemon, or flying-esq ones like levitate, but this is not a restriction as you can refuse to take part in the battle. To make a similar one but with water is a great idea, but to force the player to only use certain types in travel would be a bad idea, which brings my point as to why I do not agree with forcing the player to use specific pokemon while surfing or flying, as they are both necessary means of travel in the game, and exists no where else.

tImE

Years
Well, of course I wouldn't force any of these battles.
I agree that it's counterproductive to force a player to partake in a battle he isn't ready for.
I don't know in how many play-throughs of different Pokémon games I've had a HM-slave as my only "water-pokemon". It wouldn't be fun to have 5 lv 40 Pokemon, but you can only use your 15 Psyduck, by force.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Well, of course I wouldn't force any of these battles.
I agree that it's counterproductive to force a player to partake in a battle he isn't ready for.
I don't know in how many play-throughs of different Pokémon games I've had a HM-slave as my only "water-pokemon". It wouldn't be fun to have 5 lv 40 Pokemon, but you can only use your 15 Psyduck, by force.

exactly my point, in Pokemon games, there are barely restrictions, if any at all.
To force the player to use a certain kind of pokemon is impractical and a terrible design scheme, unless it is completely optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back