• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Design Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
So I'm working on creating a game in the Unity engine, but I'm using a lot of sprites and whatnot from Essentials. It's being made for the WebGL platform, so it'll be a browser game.

Originally, we where hellbent on menu navigation being keyboard-based in order to retain a "retro Pokemon game" feel, but anyone who's worked in Unity knows that keyboard-controlled menus are way harder than mouse-controlled menus.

So my question is, do you (personally) prefer retro-style menus or do you like the ease of a mouse? And secondly, what do you think the overall community preference is considering most fan games are either ROM hacks or Essentials-based (which both use retro-style).

Thanks,
G
If you mean by using the keyboard like clicking a key then the menu pop's up that is a good way but I think that you should go for the mouse one for 2 reasons. You said it was easier and I think it would make it like better/cooler. Now if you are talking about 3rd gen tiles to 4th and 5th gen tiles in your second question I personally preferred 4th gen and then 5th gen. Although a lot of people use 3rd gen but I consider 4th gen better because of 2 reasons(lol 2 reasons again) 1. They look more beautiful from my point of view 2. They are easier to do (because I'm not like so great with pixel art but I can do stuff that look like 4th gen graphics easier than when I try to do 3rd gen. Now I don't have yet to know about creating a Pokemon game in Unity but I will like to ask you more questions through a pm to see how it works.)

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Simply, you should consider your medium, and tailor your game accordingly. You're making a browser game, which at the very least will be playable on a computer (perhaps also on phones). Computers have mice, which are the primary means of interaction for the vast majority of people. It only makes sense to let the player use a mouse to play.

Your choice also depends on the kind of game you're making. If you're going to be doing a lot of walking around in the game, and you don't want to make a path-finder script (or you think it's inappropriate), then keyboard controls here are the best option. However, if your game primarily involves, say, single choices of options or dragging objects around, a mouse is the better bet.

Odds are, you're making a typical Pokémon game which contains the typical Pokémon features: walk around in an overworld, have battles, collect items, etc. In this instance, a combination of both keyboard and mouse would be preferable.

Note that, if you're using keyboard inputs and you'd like to let people play the game on their phones, you'll need to add an on-screen keyboard or similar touch controls to enable this. That's only "if", mind you; I personally wouldn't care about supporting phone players if I was making a browser game and if said support would be non-trivial to add in.

G-Master

Lead of Pokémon Roll
Years
  • Age 29
  • AZ
  • Seen May 10, 2022
Thanks for the quick input guys.

If you mean by using the keyboard like clicking a key then the menu pop's up that is a good way but I think that you should go for the mouse one for 2 reasons. You said it was easier and I think it would make it like better/cooler. Now if you are talking about 3rd gen tiles to 4th and 5th gen tiles in your second question I personally preferred 4th gen and then 5th gen. Although a lot of people use 3rd gen but I consider 4th gen better because of 2 reasons(lol 2 reasons again) 1. They look more beautiful from my point of view 2. They are easier to do (because I'm not like so great with pixel art but I can do stuff that look like 4th gen graphics easier than when I try to do 3rd gen. Now I don't have yet to know about creating a Pokemon game in Unity but I will like to ask you more questions through a pm to see how it works.)

To clarify, the current plan is to use BW2 Pokemon sprites (since they're animated), but the environment is going to be procedurally generated using edited Gen 3 tilesets. And sure, feel free to send me Unity questions, but know that I'm writing this game from the ground up and not using any pre-made scripts (and also it's a 2D platformer, not a traditional Pokemon game).

Simply, you should consider your medium, and tailor your game accordingly. You're making a browser game, which at the very least will be playable on a computer (perhaps also on phones). Computers have mice, which are the primary means of interaction for the vast majority of people. It only makes sense to let the player use a mouse to play.

Your choice also depends on the kind of game you're making. If you're going to be doing a lot of walking around in the game, and you don't want to make a path-finder script (or you think it's inappropriate), then keyboard controls here are the best option. However, if your game primarily involves, say, single choices of options or dragging objects around, a mouse is the better bet.

Odds are, you're making a typical Pokémon game which contains the typical Pokémon features: walk around in an overworld, have battles, collect items, etc. In this instance, a combination of both keyboard and mouse would be preferable.

Note that, if you're using keyboard inputs and you'd like to let people play the game on their phones, you'll need to add an on-screen keyboard or similar touch controls to enable this. That's only "if", mind you; I personally wouldn't care about supporting phone players if I was making a browser game and if said support would be non-trivial to add in.

Sorry for not clarifying in the first post, but it's actually a 2D platformer. The gameplay itself doesn't really warrant a mouse (WASD movement, few other keys for other functions), but the menus are rather complex. With a shop, leaderboards, and a bunch of other extra features, complex menus were causing me trouble with implementing keyboard control. It's actually given me a sense of respect for people who had to implement UIs in retro games without point and click control. But no, I don't think phone support will be a thing because I don't feel like re-positioning UI that doesn't scale well or cutting features for performance reasons.

Again, thanks for the input guys. Game doesn't really have a following yet so I was concerned I wouldn't get any input on the topic.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 31, 2018
I am considering reworking some of the type matchups for my game (yet unnamed), and was wondering if this is the right place to ask for opinions. To that end, if I were to make a survey(s) on the topic of changing type matchups, would that go here as well? Thank you.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 11, 2018
wondering if this is the right place to ask for opinions.
Yes, you can ask for opinions here. Personally, I think type match-ups are good the way they are, but if you feel there is a need for a change, I can't (and won't) stop you. Now, type match-ups are based on real-world effectiveness (sometimes involving mythology, like with the Dragon type). For example, fire burns grass in real life, and in the Pokemon world, too. If you were to make changes, they would need to make sense, otherwise, players would have to learn an entirely new system that made no sense, which is very hard to do.
if I were to make a survey(s) on the topic of changing type match-ups, would that go here as well?
I don't think surveys are allowed on this thread, but you could make another thread asking for opinions. Though, I am not a moderator, so you should probably ask a moderator if you want to make a survey here.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 31, 2018
Thank you for responding. It is less that I want to make major changes (of course they may seem major to others), and more so that I would like to change things for the sake of both balance and common sense. For example, make less things resist the Bug type so it's less of a sucky type, and the one that immediately jumps to mind is Ghost. As you said, most type matchups make real world or mythological sense, and I have no idea why Ghost would resist Bug. By the same token, perhaps Ice and Electric should be super effective against Bug, because winter forces bugs indoors and, well, bug zappers.

Changes to type matchups. to that extent, were what I was referring to. Maybe surveys are a little extreme, but I'd love to get feedback on what others think.

sharzin

the biggest iranian pokemon fan
Years
i have problem with naming my own gym leaders here are their pics and profile

Spoiler:

i know the sprites aren't any good at all but please. i need names for them.

sharzin

the biggest iranian pokemon fan
Years
Here's a simple question: On average, how long do you expect your players to spend on your fangame?
it really depends on so many things like:
-how unique is the game
-how good it looks
-how good it sounds
-how good is the plot line
- can it quickly hook the player
-does it gets infuriatingly hard all of a sudden?

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
it really depends on so many things like:
-how unique is the game
-how good it looks
-how good it sounds
-how good is the plot line
- can it quickly hook the player
-does it gets infuriatingly hard all of a sudden?
I meant how long you[the developer] personally anticipate people playing your game, not "how long should someone expect a game to last."

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen today
Where should I start when designing my first fangame?

Well, there are quite a few things to begin with.
First, what engine or base will you use? Most people use Pokemon Essentials, which requires RPG Maker XP, if you didn't already know. However, you can also use one of these, or even make your own from scratch.
If you used a base, you should read up on the manuals and make small example games to practice. For Essentials, read the wiki. Seriously, there are quite a few questions in the Essentials forum that can be answered with the wiki. (There's also the forum so you can ask questions.)

Now for your game itself. (I am not an expert. I have merely failed many times.)
  1. Don't pressure yourself to include every feature under the sun, or play keep up with the latest generations. It's a lot of work with limited assets.
  2. Focus on your game's main idea, main feature, or main theme. And try to keep the number down. This ties in with number 1.
  3. Don't try to fit in 80+ hours of gameplay. Start small, a few hours, something you can play in a day or two. Make that game fun to you.
  4. Stick with the default Essentials graphics. That way, you don't need to look for graphics or make your own.

Now, designing the game itself. That really depends on your style. I kind of jump in and make assets and story on a whim, but my friend will plan literally everything before she even starts. Don't be like me, I burn out too easily. Have a basic idea of the main events in the story, a few towns, and most of the Gym Leaders and their types, the Rival and the Team (the last three are optional, technically). Main events vary from game to game, but they will include:
  • Getting the starter
  • Rival encounters
  • Villain/Team encounters
  • Legendary encounters

This post is pretty long now, didn't realize I've been typing for so long. Hope I helped a bit, and didn't reiterate stuff you already know!

Hyrine008

Aspiring Developer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 16, 2017
Well, there are quite a few things to begin with.
First, what engine or base will you use? Most people use Pokemon Essentials, which requires RPG Maker XP, if you didn't already know. However, you can also use one of these, or even make your own from scratch.
If you used a base, you should read up on the manuals and make small example games to practice. For Essentials, read the wiki. Seriously, there are quite a few questions in the Essentials forum that can be answered with the wiki. (There's also the forum so you can ask questions.)

Now for your game itself. (I am not an expert. I have merely failed many times.)
  1. Don't pressure yourself to include every feature under the sun, or play keep up with the latest generations. It's a lot of work with limited assets.
  2. Focus on your game's main idea, main feature, or main theme. And try to keep the number down. This ties in with number 1.
  3. Don't try to fit in 80+ hours of gameplay. Start small, a few hours, something you can play in a day or two. Make that game fun to you.
  4. Stick with the default Essentials graphics. That way, you don't need to look for graphics or make your own.

Now, designing the game itself. That really depends on your style. I kind of jump in and make assets and story on a whim, but my friend will plan literally everything before she even starts. Don't be like me, I burn out too easily. Have a basic idea of the main events in the story, a few towns, and most of the Gym Leaders and their types, the Rival and the Team (the last three are optional, technically). Main events vary from game to game, but they will include:
  • Getting the starter
  • Rival encounters
  • Villain/Team encounters
  • Legendary encounters

This post is pretty long now, didn't realize I've been typing for so long. Hope I helped a bit, and didn't reiterate stuff you already know!

Wow, thanks for the detailed answer. :D I think I'm off to a good start so far I planned out a lot of the story and mapped the first area. I'm gonna make it a pretty short game and then give myself the option to add sidequests if I like how the game is turning out. I'm going to use the FRLG tilesets but I'm recoloring a lot of them and creating a few of my own tilesets in FRLG style because I want to be able to make my own graphics for future games. Thanks a lot for the pointers!

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Since this thread could apply to both ROM hacks and games, we've remade the thread in the Fan Games Hub. Please post your design questions here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back