• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Cyndahog

lol hi
    Years
    This is just out of curiosity as I don't really need to know but:

I know you can baton pass a substitute and stats, but is it possible to baton pass a focus energy?

^ I've been pondering that for a while. :paranoid:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Is it better to max out two stats EVs or have balanced EVs?

Like should I have 252 Attack or Sp Atk and 252 Speed or
    100 HP / 110 Attack or Sp Atk / 100 Defense / 100 Sp Def / 100 Speed
    I just don't want low defenses

Years
    Okay so I'm up to the Pokemon league in Pokemon Diamond but I was just wondering ... what level range should your Pokemon be to have a chance against the Pokemon league?

World King

Twilight Silver Beast
    Years
    If you have a Lv.65 or higher team, you shouldn't have any problem at all beating the E4

Like should I have 252 Attack or Sp Atk and 252 Speed or
    100 HP / 110 Attack or Sp Atk / 100 Defense / 100 Sp Def / 100 Speed
    I just don't want low defenses
    It's never a good idea to balance EVs with 100 in each. Some Pokémon are (for example) meant for being fast and deadly, but fragile at the same time, so defenses don't matter on these [E.g. Jolteon, Weavile, Aerodactyl] ; other are meant to be solid tanks, and should be properly EVd (HP, Def, SPDef) [such as Bronzong, Blissey]; and then, other that can be powerful, yet defensive, as well (coughcoughtyranitarcoughcough). It all depends on the Pokémon.

Last edited:
    Years
    I'm new to EV training and thought I'd give it a try.

Here's the first one I'm thinking of doing, do I have the right idea? If not could someone let me know what would be more effective. Thanks :)

Absol
    Jolly
    EV Sp Atk and Speed
    Swords Dance
    Shadow Ball
    Perish Song
    Psycho Cut

Thanks for your input ;)

Years
    Ahh, I read the natures columns wrong LOL
    I'll go recheck that for the right nature heh

Would a "modest" nature be better?

Why would you choose claw over ball?

And you don't learn if you don't ask right ;)

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    I'm new to EV training and thought I'd give it a try.

Here's the first one I'm thinking of doing, do I have the right idea? If not could someone let me know what would be more effective. Thanks :)

Absol
    Jolly
    EV Sp Atk and Speed
    Swords Dance
    Shadow Ball
    Perish Song
    Psycho Cut

Thanks for your input ;)

Swords dance is right, as is Jolly nature.

You're going to want to EV it in Attack and Speed, ad Swords Dance raises attack, and Absol has a much high attack stat.

Shadow Ball is not good for this set. First off, it's a Special attack, and second, it's potentially blocking Absol from having a good STAB move.

Err... I guess I should just direct you to Absol's Smogon page. That page has the best sets for Absol. I also advice you to check out the Diamond and Pearl Guides of Smogon. They'll provide all the the information you'll need for battling and the right sets.

Years
    n00b: "What's S&M?" That's why.

1. No, Absol's sp. atk and special sweeping ability sucks. Just stick with physical moves.
    2. Absol's base attack is much better than its sp. atk. Since Shadow Claw is a physical move, it is a better option for it than Shadow Ball for the reason stated in 1.

Also, Perish Song is a bad idea as well since Absol has no reliable way to trap the opponent for more than three turns. Shadow Claw is a rather lackluster move for it as well. Better options for those moves would be Sucker Punch, Superpower (if you have Platinum), or Night Slash.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    Oh, I see. I'll come back then :) I'm training this Dragon Dancing Tyranitar, and I thought that the Fire Punch could only be learned from a breed chain from the Dragonite I used, but luckily I'll get it this way! Would've s*cked to breed and EV up another from the start.. :p Thanks!

Umm... to clarify: This is only for Platinum. The Move Tutor you're thinking of is the Pastoria guy, but he isn't the same one. He's only the Move Re-Learner. TO get Fire Punch onto Tyranitar, you're going to need to use Platinum and you're going to need to have shards.

Justin T

Hydro Action
    Years
    Sorry if there is already a discussion similar to this question, but based on results, does anyone have a good recommendation on a pokemon to use in a Cool Contest?

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    For a more gentle approach to the question...:

Sorry if there is already a discussion similar to this question, but based on results, does anyone have a good recommendation on a pokemon to use in a Cool Contest?

Any Pokemon, so long as it likes Spicy food (e.g. natures: Adamant, Naughty, Brave, etc.) and has some decent Cool moves, can be used for a Cool Contest. A basic combination can be a Pokemon that utilises a move that boosts them to the first spot for the next turn, then a move that gains a bonus for going first, with a high-scoring move for the fifth round. I believe a Spelon Berry would be best used for creating Poffins that are good for "Cool" Pokemon.

You could always go for a more tactical approach, but the move selection and Judge choice of your opponents in-game is so random, its near impossible. It would also be a good idea to refine your timing skills with the dancing, should you be having trouble. It generally doesn't change a great deal, but its always good to be prepared.

You are also not restricted to Cool-based moves when in the Appeal Round. The only benefit it gives is an additional Star on a Judge, though that does give you an Appeal bonus, should you get the fifth Star...

Justin T

Hydro Action
    Years
    Well I was looking for a general pokemon. Like the Platinum Guide Book says Chatot would be good for Cool, but I wanted other people's opinion based on the pokemon they've won with.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    @Jlizard27: You can be grateful for that. The contests are far too bulky in D/P/Pt, if you ask me. XD

@ Justin T: It generally doesn't boil down to the Pokemon; just the moves and nature of them, as well as the quality of the Poffins created and the quickness of your hand when selecting items for the first round. (as well as with the dancing round) For example, you could probably win the Tough Contests with Magikarp. Though if I were to give one Pokemon, I suppose I would say Swellow, only because it was the Pokemon I gained all the Cool Ribbons with on my Sapphire.

Justin T

Hydro Action
    Years
    Lol so did I. I guess I'll try to look at a pokemon with a good movepool for the cool contest.

dragonarche

Is back :D
    Years
    Lol, what kind of police? Like, The Police, the band, or like the cops? I'll edit this or something later with more suggestions, but if you're going for the actual cops, I'd suggest Growlithe/Arcanine. I remember in G/S/C all those police guys used Growlithe.
    Yup the best pokemon to evtrain are
    Articane rampardos rhyperior
    umbreon ect..
    Basicly look for low level pokemon with high stats
    and start training them but remeber to ev train you need lots and lots
    of time good luck! :)

Back