• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    In order to get an egg you must put two Pokémon of the same egg group in The Daycare at the same time. Ditto can make an egg with any Pokémon when using this method. However, most legendary Pokémon (along with a few other non-legendary) cannot make eggs whatsoever.

Once you have the two Pokémon in The Daycare, just walk around a little while. Come back to The Daycare and soon enough the Daycare Man will be standing in a different spot than before. Talk to him. He will give you an egg.

The egg is always the same species (or the bottom of that species's evolutionary line) as the female Pokémon that was put in The Daycare. If one of the Pokémon was a Ditto, the egg will bear the species (or bottom of that species's evolutionary line) of the non-Ditto Pokémon, because Ditto eggs do not exist. You may also notice there are Pokémon besides Ditto that are non-legendary, which have no gender (Magnemite, Staryu, etcetera). They can only breed with Ditto.

For example:

Ditto+Rhydon (any gender)=Rhyhorn egg
    Ditto+Staryu (which has no gender)=Staryu egg
    Male Raticate+female Dugtrio=Diglett egg
    Male Beedrill+female Yanma=Yanma egg
    Male Dratini+female Kingdra=Horsea egg

Egg groups are categories of compatible Pokémon (in other words, Pokémon that can create eggs together). For what Pokémon are in what egg group, go here. Normally, however, your best judgment will do. If you think two Pokémon will be able to mate, then try it out.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Jasonpower

Super Nerd
    Years
    In order to get an egg you must put two Pokémon of the same egg group in The Daycare at the same time. Ditto can make an egg with any Pokémon when using this method. However, most legendary Pokémon (along with a few other non-legendary) cannot make eggs whatsoever.

Once you have the two Pokémon in The Daycare, just walk around a little while. Come back to The Daycare and soon enough the Daycare Man will be standing in a different spot than before. Talk to him. He will give you an egg.

The egg is always the same species (or the bottom of that species's evolutionary line) as the female Pokémon that was put in The Daycare. If one of the Pokémon was a Ditto, the egg will bear the species of the non-Ditto Pokémon, because Ditto eggs do not exist. You may also notice there are Pokémon besides Ditto that are non-legendary, which have no gender (Magnemite, Staryu, etcetera). They can only breed with Ditto.

Egg groups are categories of compatible Pokémon (in other words, Pokémon that can create eggs together). For what Pokémon are in what egg group, go here.
    oh thanks so much for the help i really appreciate it.thanks you!!!!!!:D

Years
    Are you playing on Platinum?
    If so, you can use the Poketech App "Match Checker" to see if the two Pokemon you wish to breed will produce an egg. I try to go for two hearts for the most efficient breeding.
    The egg you receive from the daycare man will hatch into the same family of pokemon as the mother. If you're breeding instead a male and a ditto than the baby will be of the non-ditto family. Be sure to match up egg types of the parents or you won't produce an egg at all. These can easily be found on bulbapedia (possibly serebii.net. I don't use them so I don't know)
    Solaceon town is lucky because right next to the day care there is a straight path extending from just below the hallowed tower to up where the psyducks used to block your way. This is a great egg hatching route.
    When you leave the mother and father at the daycare check with the old man. He'll tell you how well they get along. If he says that "they prefer to play with other pokemon" those two will not produce an egg. Try another match. Other messages let you know about how long it will take for an egg to appear. If he says "they don't appear to get along too well" it's a bad match but you will produce an egg after a LONG run. otherwise you should be okay. I prefer "they seem to get along well" or better. You'll get an egg in 500 steps or less (this is when you switch to your step counter app).
    When you get an egg, you'll notice the summary will say "it doesn't appear close to hatching. All pokemon have varying egg cycles. Here again, check bulbapedia and you'll find the egg cycle # and the number of steps required to hatch the egg. Use the egg hatching route again. Note that if you have a Magcargo with the Flame Body ability (among other pokemon and other abilities) you can cut down the number of steps required by a couple hundred steps.
    Careful breeding can yield excellent results. Often baby pokemon inherit tm moves taught the the parents and can learn "egg moves." Do some research on Bulbapedia and you'll see a whole list of great moves they can learn. Experimenting with different natures and be fruitful too.

I'm sure this is all in a sticky somewhere, but I'm also sure this is going to be more helpful for you. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.
    Welcome to breeding, friend!

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2009
    How come the Abra this NPC traded me in Oreburgh gains more EXP than my other pokemon in battle? It says he gains "boosted EXP" or something like that.

Mages4ever

Looking for a Challenge!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    Because you got it in a trade.
    Traded Pokemon get 1.5x experience instead of the standard 1x.
    (At least I think it's 1.5x.)

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Which is Cheating, and exactly what i said.

Tch, it's only a cosmetic change. It won't affect gameplay at all.

Because you got it in a trade.
    Traded Pokemon get 1.5x experience instead of the standard 1x.
    (At least I think it's 1.5x.)

Confirmed 1.5x, but if the Pokemon was from a different region (e.g. EU trades to US), then it gains 1.7x.

Years
    Super Fang is a move that always halves the opponent's current HP so it wouldn't matter if it was not very effective or not. Ghost types are immune to it though.

{NM}Redwolf

Rebels against the God
    Years
    just wondering if anyone knows what the supposely ruler of the little lake in the resort area in platinum. can't seem to find anything but high leveled magikarp. if someone could pm me that would be great cause i don't feel like checking this (busy trading)

Years
    Hello,
    my Larvitar just hatched. I wanted to ev train it but now it's only level 1 so it wont beat any Pokémon. Can I do it (like with all weak Pokemon) that I first let Larvitar battle, then switch it immediately so it gets stronger? Or does it already get ev points when I switch it and let another Pokémon defeat the foe?

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    You can use the switching out method, but that isn't the easiest method unless you plan on using a Power item from the beginning. The easiest method is to attach an Exp. Share to your Larvitar, and then just have your higher-leveled pokémon fight the pokémon, as the Exp. Share passes on EVs. This means that if your lead pokémon fights 5 Starlys and your Larvitar is holding the Exp. Share, your Larvitar will also gain 5 Speed EVs.

Last edited:
    Back