• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Mages4ever

Looking for a Challenge!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    Well to be honest. I beat the E4 with this team (Going in)
    Lvl 49 Staraptor
    Lvl 49 Empoleon
    Lvl 50 Gengar
    Lvl 50 Jolteon
    Lvl 50 Gyrados
    Lvl 25 Bibarel

I was unprepared, but I did some EV training with what I had left on my Pokemon.
    Also, I made this team with the E4 in mind, so yeah. Low level Pokemon wouldn't be your downfall, it would be movesets.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    What are the exact IVs of my Heatran

Modest/Shiny

LV 100

Attack 194
    Defen 248
    Sp.Att 393
    Sp.Dee 248
    Speed 253

EVs maxed out in Speed and Sp.Attack I think.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    No, its not hacked. It was caught at Stark Mountain and soft-reseted for. It does seem impossible though.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    About a year ago on my Pearl. Yes I did.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I had used an Action Replay when I first got Pearl but I doubt it. I have never heard of that happening. Thanks.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    My chatot silent! It doesn't have a cry! When it had chatter I pressed it and didn't say anything, but I deleted chatter and it is still silent! Help please!

Do either the following:

1) You hacked your game to the max, like my friend's Sapphire. Forget it.
    2) Put it into the box and out again
    3) Turn on the volume

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2011
    Do either the following:

1) You hacked your game to the max, like my friend's Sapphire. Forget it.
    2) Put it into the box and out again
    3) Turn on the volume

Woot! Putting it in the box fixed it! Thanks. :)

I need help training my team to 60 before the E4. Can someone tell a trainer or place with the pokemon commonly found are weak to the following moves.
    Weak to:
    Flying or Normal (Moves of Chatot)
    Ghost, Normal, or Steel (Moves of Eevee)
    Dark, Dragon, or Fire (Moves of Arcanine)
    Water, Ice, or Flying (Moves of Piplup)
    Psychic (Moves of Blissey)

Last edited:

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    Woot! Putting it in the box fixed it! Thanks. :)

I need help training my team to 60 before the E4. Can someone tell a trainer or place with the pokemon commonly found are weak to the following moves.
    Weak to:
    Flying or Normal (Moves of Chatot)
    Ghost, Normal, or Steel (Moves of Eevee)
    Dark, Dragon, or Fire (Moves of Arcanine)
    Water, Ice, or Flying (Moves of Piplup)
    Psychic (Moves of Blissey)
    1 - North Route 210. Meditite, Machop, Machoke, Scyther are weak to Flying.
    2 - Route 217. Sneasel, Snorunt, Snover, and Swinub are weak to Steel.
    3 - Just go with the same place. Fire works on all of those in 2.
    4. Victory Road. Water, Ice, and Flying kill everything there except a few scant things in Platinum.
    5. Go Surfing near anywhere for Tentacools to destroy with Psychic.

This is all assuming you've done or don't care about EV training. And this was just a quick look, I don't know if there's better (and that partly depends on their current levels).

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2011

1 - North Route 210. Meditite, Machop, Machoke, Scyther are weak to Flying.
    2 - Route 217. Sneasel, Snorunt, Snover, and Swinub are weak to Steel.
    3 - Just go with the same place. Fire works on all of those in 2.
    4. Victory Road. Water, Ice, and Flying kill everything there except a few scant things in Platinum.
    5. Go Surfing near anywhere for Tentacools to destroy with Psychic.

This is all assuming you've done or don't care about EV training. And this was just a quick look, I don't know if there's better (and that partly depends on their current levels).

This is perfect for me! Thank you!

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    Water pokemon are so easy to train in Victory Road, especially if they have an ice attack to deal with those annoying Golbats.

Rake

- The Relentless Oblivion -
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2009
    Three questions - Trade,IV's,EV's

1. I am worried about my pokemon that evolve only by trading. Do I have to trade a scyther away to evolve it into scizor, which means I wont have neither scizor, nor scyther after all?

2. How do IVs work, and how to get a specific type hidden power for my pokemon?

3. And, um.. How do you count yor pokemons EVs?

this_is_ark

who what where
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2009
    i know there's tons of people here who can answer ev and iv questions better than i can but

when you trade pokemon to evolve them, usually you ask a trusted person, like a friend, or a community of pokemon people who will do a tradeback. you trade them your pokemon, it evolves, they give it back. so as long as it's a friend or a trusted group of people you won't lose your pokemon :3

Elite Champion

The Old Pokemon Days <3
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2012
    for the trades you can go to gts deposit scisor then withdraw it

i diont know if its been patched

Years
    1. I am worried about my pokemon that evolve only by trading. Do I have to trade a scyther away to evolve it into scizor, which means I wont have neither scizor, nor scyther after all?

2. How do IVs work, and how to get a specific type hidden power for my pokemon?

3. And, um.. How do you count yor pokemons EVs?

1. There is a glitch in the GTS that allows you to evolve Pokemon that require trading without actual training. First, you deposit the Pokemon you want to trade and ask for an impossible offer like lv. 9 and under Abomasnow. Then, you make any other trade on the GTS. Then, withdraw your Pokemon. It should evolve when you get it back.

2. IVs, also known as individual values are unchanging values for a Pokemon that are determined at the moment you meet it. IVs determine how powerful a Pokemon is and are different in the stats of HP, attack, defense, sp. atk, sp. def, and speed. They range on a scale from 0-31. The higher the IV in a given stat, the higher the stat will be at lv. 100. For example, a Jigglypuff with a 0 IV in HP will have 340 HP at lv. 100. However, if it had a 31 IV in HP, it would now have 371 HP at lv. 100.

3. EVs are also known as effort values and also determines a Pokemon's strength in a stat. Unlike IVs, these can be changed. EVs are gained whenever you gain experience. Each Pokemon gives a certain amount of EVs in a certain stat. For example: KOing a Machop gives 1 EV in attack, KOing a Machamp gives 3 EVs in attack, KOing a Starly gives 1 EV in speed. There are plenty of lists of Pokemon and what EVs they give floating around the internet somewhere. Keep in mind that you can only have 255 EVs in any given stat and 510 total.

Does this help or do I need to elaborate more?

Rake

- The Relentless Oblivion -
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2009
    1. There is a glitch in the GTS that allows you to evolve Pokemon that require trading without actual training. First, you deposit the Pokemon you want to trade and ask for an impossible offer like lv. 9 and under Abomasnow. Then, you make any other trade on the GTS. Then, withdraw your Pokemon. It should evolve when you get it back.

2. IVs, also known as individual values are unchanging values for a Pokemon that are determined at the moment you meet it. IVs determine how powerful a Pokemon is and are different in the stats of HP, attack, defense, sp. atk, sp. def, and speed. They range on a scale from 0-31. The higher the IV in a given stat, the higher the stat will be at lv. 100. For example, a Jigglypuff with a 0 IV in HP will have 340 HP at lv. 100. However, if it had a 31 IV in HP, it would now have 371 HP at lv. 100.

3. EVs are also known as effort values and also determines a Pokemon's strength in a stat. Unlike IVs, these can be changed. EVs are gained whenever you gain experience. Each Pokemon gives a certain amount of EVs in a certain stat. For example: KOing a Machop gives 1 EV in attack, KOing a Machamp gives 3 EVs in attack, KOing a Starly gives 1 EV in speed. There are plenty of lists of Pokemon and what EVs they give floating around the internet somewhere. Keep in mind that you can only have 255 EVs in any given stat and 510 total.

Does this help or do I need to elaborate more?

Um.. You actually explained other things than those I wanted to know. I do know bulbapedia (serebii, smogon, etc. etc.) and google, so I've done as much as I could to find that out.

Though you didnt tell me how do I count how many EVs do my pokemon have?
    Maybe I'll end up adding more and more EV to one stat not knowing Its already full, thats my problem. But I know in Pokemon Emerald there was an NPC who could tell if you have got all 510 EVs.

So, about the IVs. Lets say, my Riolu Egg hatches, it will already have set IVs, modified by Riolu's Nature, which would form its first stats? Or is there more to IVs?

I didn't know that Machamp gives more than Machop, which probably means Golbat will give more speed than Zubat, right?

Could you please tell me more about GTS? Is it Global Trade Station?

Years
    The problem is, there is no way to "count" what EVs you already have. You have to keep track of those yourself.

When you say "first stats", I assume you mean lv. 1. It's lv. 1 stats are affected by both the IVs and nature. For example:
    A Modest (+ sp. atk - atk) lv. 1 Riolu with a 0 IV in sp. atk would have a 5 in sp. atk.
    A Modest (+ sp. atk - atk) lv. 1 Riolu with a 31 IV in sp. atk would have a 6 in sp. atk.
    An Adamant (+ atk - sp. atk) lv. 1 Riolu with a 0 IV in sp. atk would have a 4 in sp. atk.
    An Adamant (+ atk - sp. atk) lv. 1 Riolu with a 31 IV in sp. atk would have a 5 in sp. atk.
    However, there are some Pokemon that won't have their lv. 1 stats changed at all regardless of the nature or IVs.

Yes, that means Golbat will give more speed than Zubat.

GTS is Global Trade Station.

Need any more help?

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    Um.. You actually explained other things than those I wanted to know. I do know bulbapedia (serebii, smogon, etc. etc.) and google, so I've done as much as I could to find that out.

Though you didnt tell me how do I count how many EVs do my pokemon have?
    Maybe I'll end up adding more and more EV to one stat not knowing Its already full, thats my problem. But I know in Pokemon Emerald there was an NPC who could tell if you have got all 510 EVs.

So, about the IVs. Lets say, my Riolu Egg hatches, it will already have set IVs, modified by Riolu's Nature, which would form its first stats? Or is there more to IVs?

I didn't know that Machamp gives more than Machop, which probably means Golbat will give more speed than Zubat, right?

Could you please tell me more about GTS? Is it Global Trade Station?

You cannot tell how many EVs a given pokemon has without tracking them. If you want to EV train a pokemon in a given stat, you first have to use EV-reducing berries to make sure that you have no EVs, otherwise your EV spread will be totally screwed up. The EV-reducing berries are as follows: Pomeg (HP), Kelpsy (Attack), Qualot (Defense), Hondew (Sp. Attack), Grepa (Sp. Defense) and Tomato (Speed). Each berry reduces the given EV by 10. Use them until it says "It won't have any effect." If you've done this and actually want to count your EVs, you will have to stick to the old fashioned method of writing them down, or you can use the Poketch App Counter. There is a woman in the Sunyshore City Market that will tell you if you have used all of the EVs, and will give you an Effort Ribbon if you have. There are also Power Items, which increase the amount of EVs given by 4 in a given stat when the pokemon is holding the item. Check here if you would like to know everything about EVs. On that page they mention Pokerus, which is a virus that doubles the EVs gained when the pokemon has it. Be warned that the chance of getting Pokerus is less than the chance of finding a shiny pokemon, so you may want to ask around in the Trade Corner for a pokemon with Pokerus.

IVs do not show up right away, only as levels are gained. If you have a level one pokemon that has 31 IVs in Speed, its Speed will not be 37 instead of 6, it will only totally show at level 100. That's why I recommend asking in the Battle Stadium section in the sticky thread "The Official 'I need an IV battle' thread. You can figure out your pokemons' stats at level 100 and use an IV calculator.

Right. Evolved forms usually give more of the same EV as its prevolution or two different EVs.

Yet, the GTS is the Global Trade Station. It is a place where you can trade your Pokemon with people all around the world.

Back