• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
    Any of you nifty Emerald hackers got the offsets for the text boxes? I cant find them in unlz, or in the swi logging.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
    Any of you nifty Emerald hackers got the offsets for the text boxes? I cant find them in unlz, or in the swi logging.

Textbox graphics aren't compressed on the OW in any games. So you wouldn't find them in the SWI "lzuncompressed" since they're not compressed.

They might be bookmarked in NSE but that's all I can tell you.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
    Textbox graphics aren't compressed on the OW in any games. So you wouldn't find them in the SWI "lzuncompressed" since they're not compressed.

They might be bookmarked in NSE but that's all I can tell you.

So is there no way to log an uncompressed image? Cause NSE doesnt have them bookmarked.

GoGoJJTech

Years
    So is there no way to log an uncompressed image? Cause NSE doesnt have them bookmarked.

Not using VBA or VBA-M

The way I do it is I go into the VRAM and search the bytes that I see there in the ROM. Since it's uncompressed it works that way.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2016
    I have a problem with my image. It is a sprite with a full 256 colors. When I decrease the color depth to 16, its looks perfectly fine, the exact same. Although, when doing that it changes the order of the palettes. So my green background of the sprite is in the middle of the palette, where as it should be the first one. If its not the first one, then the background will show up in the hack, and the new first color won't. I'm kind of stumpted. Is there any way I can decrease the color depth to 16 without making all of the palettes out of order?

Gamecube

C#-Maniac
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2015
    I saw a tool which does the exact thing you want, I think it was in LePugs tile insertion tutorial. :-)

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2016
    I saw a tool which does the exact thing you want, I think it was in LePugs tile insertion tutorial. :-)

If its irfanview you're thinking of, then yes I'm already using that. Thats whats causin the problems, it mixes up all of the colors..

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
    Years
    I have a problem with my image. It is a sprite with a full 256 colors. When I decrease the color depth to 16, its looks perfectly fine, the exact same. Although, when doing that it changes the order of the palettes. So my green background of the sprite is in the middle of the palette, where as it should be the first one. If its not the first one, then the background will show up in the hack, and the new first color won't. I'm kind of stumpted. Is there any way I can decrease the color depth to 16 without making all of the palettes out of order?
    Well, try checking the best colour quality checkbox in IrfanView. That sometimes does the trick. If not, decrease its colour depth, then open up the palette viewer (somewhere in the Image menu, last option IIRC). Swap the two colours and save it as a separate file. Then, open it up in Paint XP (Google around for it if you're on Windows Vista+). Go to Edit -> Paste from. Select the image that looks correct. Then finally, save it and it should be good to go.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
    If its irfanview you're thinking of, then yes I'm already using that. Thats whats causin the problems, it mixes up all of the colors..

There's a palette viewer in Ifranview (iirc it's accessed through the edit menu? I don't remember I haven't used the program in years) you can then swap the pals around in there.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2016
    Well, try checking the best colour quality checkbox in IrfanView. That sometimes does the trick. If not, decrease its colour depth, then open up the palette viewer (somewhere in the Image menu, last option IIRC). Swap the two colours and save it as a separate file. Then, open it up in Paint XP (Google around for it if you're on Windows Vista+). Go to Edit -> Paste from. Select the image that looks correct. Then finally, save it and it should be good to go.

Oh my gosh its genious, how did I not think of this before! It worked, I'm marking your post for later referance.

Thanks very much!

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2015
    I made it so you can only play in Shift in FR, what's the easiest way to avoid the situation where the player can set the game to shift in the options and have it do nothing? Just having it locked on Set would be sufficient (like I said, whatever's the easiest thing to do is fine with me, just trying to make things not look sloppy).

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    Is there any particular reason why the Hero's OW palette can't be used for other OWs? In my case I used it for the pokeball OW icon and it looks fine in NSE and AM, but in-game the image looks completely different and messed up (only when using that palette). I could use another palette for it, just wondering why this happens.

Edit: figured it out, for those with similar problems. The Pal slot 0 is always loaded for the hero OW first, and after that every other OW with that palette. Guess I won't use it for anything other than the player OW :P

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

Years
    Is there any particular reason why the Hero's OW palette can't be used for other OWs? In my case I used it for the pokeball OW icon and it looks fine in NSE and AM, but in-game the image looks completely different and messed up (only when using that palette). I could use another palette for it, just wondering why this happens.

You also have to load the image to palette slot 0. Trying to load it to another slot is finicky.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2017
    Question: Is it possible to modify all trainer battles to be similar to Battle tower/ player battles? (you don't know what they're switching to etc.)

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2015
    Question: Is it possible to modify all trainer battles to be similar to Battle tower/ player battles? (you don't know what they're switching to etc.)

That's actually pretty easy. To make it so you don't know what they're switching to, just open up a hex editor and go to 1D8727, then change the bytes to 28 92 87 1D 08 and save.

You can also make certain healing items unusable in battle by opening up G3T 2.8's item editor and changing the battle usage value to 0 (It'd be better to use an ASM routine to disable items in battle but I don't see one currently in the ASM thread)

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2023
    how is the structure of tm/hm compatibility? are they stored in a table or something? so i've been modifying tm/hm compatibility in firered, can i port it to emerald with hex editor? where is the address? thank you very much (and sorry for my bad english)

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2016
    Hopefully this is the right thread for my question. How could I get started with making rom hacking tools? Do I need to read up on GBA hardware stuff or how ROMs are organized, and if so then where can I find that information?

I have taken a few uni courses in Java and I wanted to see if this is possible.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back