• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Hopefully this is the right thread for my question. How could I get started with making rom hacking tools? Do I need to read up on GBA hardware stuff or how ROMs are organized, and if so then where can I find that information?

I have taken a few uni courses in Java and I wanted to see if this is possible.

To get started making ROM hacking tools, you'll essentially be making a tool to automate a process that could be done very slowly with a hex editor.
    To that end, what you'll really need to learn first is how to read/write bytes to a file. Once you understand that, and what changes you actually want to make to the ROM, the programming should be obvious. Of course, you will need to read up on the hardware for the ROMs you'll be working with. Important topics would include how pointers are stored, how colors are stored, etc.

Shinygir

YAY! WE'RE DOOMED!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    hey i'm a new member here and I want to make hack games but i don't know what or where to get the programming can someone help

Years
    Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2015
    I am trying to download the universal randomizer, but I cannot get it. I was wondering if someone could help me? I've watched multiple videos on youtube, and yet I still can't figure it out. I don't know if I am missing something, or what. I already have Winrar, patching systems, ROMs, and ROM hacks.

Years
    I don't know if I just did something wrong or something ... but, when I applied the BW2 Repel System to my hack, then I use the repel, when the Repel's effect wore off part should appear, it freezes. btw, I applied the Hacked Engine of JPAN. I think that's the issue. But, if you have the hacked engine and the repel system, please tell me!

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2022
    I just want to know how do you use the hex editing for inserting the HGSS music patch to Fire Red. I want to use this on my Fire Red Omega Rom but i'm stuck on the hex editing can anyone help me with it? P.S. I'm new to this stuff had no previous experience

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
    I just want to know how do you use the hex editing for inserting the HGSS music patch to Fire Red. I want to use this on my Fire Red Omega Rom but i'm stuck on the hex editing can anyone help me with it? P.S. I'm new to this stuff had no previous experience

Since I created it, I'll help you. If you're still stuck after this post, PM me.

If you haven't already, apply the .ips file to your rom

Next, download a hex editor such as HxD or Hex Workshop (HxD is free and portable)
    Open the file "Build.bin" in the hex editor and copy all of the bytes in it
    Open your rom and go to the offset "1000000"
    Paste all of the bytes from Build.bin at that offset, but make sure you do a paste OVERWRITE and not a paste INSERT.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
    I don't know if I just did something wrong or something ... but, when I applied the BW2 Repel System to my hack, then I use the repel, when the Repel's effect wore off part should appear, it freezes. btw, I applied the Hacked Engine of JPAN. I think that's the issue. But, if you have the hacked engine and the repel system, please tell me!

Did you use the precompiled scipt? Cause that has been known to cause issues. I've applied it with jpans hacked engine and it worked fine.

Years
    Does anyone know how to make the pokedex area going to show the wild pokemon encounter of a new creating place in Emerald? Thank you in advance.

Years
    Did you use the precompiled scipt? Cause that has been known to cause issues. I've applied it with jpans hacked engine and it worked fine.

edit: Never mind. I figured it out. The new pointer should be 00 00 80, but I typed 00 00 08. I should be careful now.

Last edited:

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    This is a really stupid question but if I make free space by deleting things I'm not using, can I use that free space? Will it corrupt my ROM for some reason? For example, pokemon sprites use up a lot of space and if I were to remove them (make them FF), I could use that space no?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    This is a really stupid question but if I make free space by deleting things I'm not using, can I use that free space? Will it corrupt my ROM for some reason? For example, pokemon sprites use up a lot of space and if I were to remove them (make them FF), I could use that space no?

I suppose if you're never going to use that pokemon and remove it entirely you'd be fine... but there's plenty of free space already available to you. There's no need.

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    I suppose if you're never going to use that pokemon and remove it entirely you'd be fine... but there's plenty of free space already available to you. There's no need.

I won't be removing it entirely, I'll repoint to a new image. It'll be a waste having the old sprite sitting there in the ROM not being used.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I won't be removing it entirely, I'll repoint to a new image. It'll be a waste having the old sprite sitting there in the ROM not being used.

Oh right! :) Well, it's the same point. Some tools actually give you the option to automatically fill the old images with FF bytes (Gen 3 Suite I think?). But as said before, you probably won't be short on space anyway.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2015
    I need help inserting tiles, I can insert my new tiles just fine after changing the pallets and reducing my image to 16 colors etc etc and I'll even make a map with my new tile set but everytime I save my work and open it up on my emulator the tileset just goes crazy and gets messed up, then when I open advance map again to see what went wrong EVERY tile set and pallete has been corrupted and looks wierd

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
    I need help inserting tiles, I can insert my new tiles just fine after changing the pallets and reducing my image to 16 colors etc etc and I'll even make a map with my new tile set but everytime I save my work and open it up on my emulator the tileset just goes crazy and gets messed up, then when I open advance map again to see what went wrong EVERY tile set and pallete has been corrupted and looks wierd

I'm going to take a guess and say you're using Advance Map 1.95 and 1.92. Usually when you use both, the palettes like to be retarded. Use 1.92 always and only, since 1.95 is an unfinished beta that corrupts ROMs.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2015
    I'm going to take a guess and say you're using Advance Map 1.95 and 1.92. Usually when you use both, the palettes like to be retarded. Use 1.92 always and only, since 1.95 is an unfinished beta that corrupts ROMs.

Thanks man is the beta version ur refering to the latest one because I downloaded Advance Map again this weekend because I bought a new PC

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back