• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 8, 2016
    Alright, Thanks! But back to my question about editing the Town Map?
    Your question asked for a simple way of doing this. This is not simple compared to other aspects of hacking, but it is the easiest method that I know of.
    The town map can be edited in advance map 1.92(the feature was taken out in 1.95). It's the green button with a dot in the middle at the top of the program after you open your rom.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2015
    Another question about AdvanceText. I was trying to edit the introduction, but I ran into numerous problems like not being able to see all of the text, and "The text pointer wasn't found, the text can't be edited!" So how can I fix these?

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2024
    Your question asked for a simple way of doing this. This is not simple compared to other aspects of hacking, but it is the easiest method that I know of.
    The town map can be edited in advance map 1.92(the feature was taken out in 1.95). It's the green button with a dot in the middle at the top of the program after you open your rom.

Thank you!

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2015
    Another question about AdvanceText. I was trying to edit the introduction, but I ran into numerous problems like not being able to see all of the text, and "The text pointer wasn't found, the text can't be edited!" So how can I fix these?

And on top of this (not related to Advance Text) but how do I script Pokemon Centers? On top of that, how do I script the "sethealingplace" command and extend the table of Pokemon Centers?

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2015
    You can just copy what's in the existing Pokecenters to make a new one (of course you'll need to modify scripts slightly). Here's a tutorial on expanding the sethealingplace table.

Yeah, but I'm kind of a noob and I don't know how to use the tutorial. So I'm still curious. When I copy and paste the offset and copy and paste the map, when I go and heal at this center, when I lose all of my Pokemon, will I go there or to one of the preset PCs? Also, how do I make a sethealingplace like at your house?

Last question, (unreleated to PCs) sometimes when I'm mapping and testing out the game, the border block just turns into trash or random colors instead of black, how to fix this?
    Using FIRERED btw.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2015
    Hello. Using Unofficial XSE and Advance Map 1.95 with various patches to my rombase. Decompiling or repoening scripts in XSE results in my pointers to become prefaced with random numbers. So, after compiling messagebox @pointer1 shows as messagebox 0x8300000 when 0x1300000 is the expected result. I want to assume this is why a simple script causes the game to stall. I'm sorry if this was already answered in a previous thread, I couldn't think of any terms that returned good search results.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Is there a way for me to start a map from scratch? Or a whole game? I feel it would be easier that way.

In a-map, goto file>map>insert map. Fill in the fields under "create new space" and click the create and insert button. This creates a brand new map.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2024
    Hello! Back again with a few questions. I have given up trying to use A-Map to edit the World Map/Town Map image. I was wondering if there was an in-depth guide on how to do this?
    Also is there anywhere I can go to get sprites edited? Since I am making some custom sprites for Gym Leaders and Elite Four and I cannot get the face to look correct.

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    Hello! Back again with a few questions. I have given up trying to use A-Map to edit the World Map/Town Map image. I was wondering if there was an in-depth guide on how to do this?
    Also is there anywhere I can go to get sprites edited? Since I am making some custom sprites for Gym Leaders and Elite Four and I cannot get the face to look correct.

Yeah lol, Amap only edits the data and not the picture. I don't know what ROM you're using but try this for:

RSE: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=180336
    FR: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=284306

Hope that helps!

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Whenever I repoint text with XSE in FireRed, no matter how small of an edit is (even just changing one character), it always clips the start of a different text string from the same map. Why does this happen and can I stop it from happening? It doesn't majorly break anything but it's a real pain in the bum to go a fix the text of everyone else in the area (fixing one person's text breaks someone else's, who breaks another, etc.).

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2015
    Is there a way to randomize a trainer?
    Name, Class, Sprite etc.

Well basically I would want a random trainer and so far I have successfully created a routine that creates a random pokemon party in RAM from a list of pokes stored in ROM. Have the address, specifically 0x0203C000 (RAM), as the address of a trainer's Party.

But I can't find a way to randomize a trainer. If I repoint the trainers table then all trainers will be repointed.

Any ideas?

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2024
    Alright! I am back with many questions.
    1) Is there a way to start completely new on a ROM? Not just create new maps on Advanced Map but remove everything that is already there and start from the beginning?
    2) Is there a place where I can go to get some custom sprites made?
    3) Finally, where is the best place to start making a ROM hack? I don't really know where to start. I have all the programs and know how to do almost everything I need.

Years
  • Alright! I am back with many questions.
    1) Is there a way to start completely new on a ROM? Not just create new maps on Advanced Map but remove everything that is already there and start from the beginning?
    2) Is there a place where I can go to get some custom sprites made?
    3) Finally, where is the best place to start making a ROM hack? I don't really know where to start. I have all the programs and know how to do almost everything I need.

1) Here is a tutorial that has the process https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616

2) No idea:P

3) For me, the story should be planned out first because if you dont know how what theme your game will rotate around, then you will have trouble deciding what to make your maps like and you wont know what scripts to put in.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back