• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Alright, question time!
    I would like to make two locations in my ROM hack.... well unique. A desert and a Volcano. But in Fire Red this appears to be more difficult. I know that I can just insert tiles but I have already made a bit of progress and don't want it to go to waste. For the desert I intend to use the sand tiles in the game already but the problem occurs when wanting wild Pokemon to appear. How could I make it so that wild Pokemon appear on the route without using wild grasses? (By the way I am using Advance Map). The problem with the volcano is that there are no lava tiles, how could I get lava tiles in Fire Red?
    Also, at the beginning of the game I would like the Nation Pokedex to be given to the player immediately, how would I do this?

To make the sand pokemon-y, have a look at the settings for cave tiles and copy them over to a sand-tile clone. I believe it's just a change in the background byte of the tile to 00 01, however I'm not on my laptop at the moment to check this.

Hope this helps!

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2024
    To make the sand pokemon-y, have a look at the settings for cave tiles and copy them over to a sand-tile clone. I believe it's just a change in the background byte of the tile to 00 01, however I'm not on my laptop at the moment to check this.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! There are guides on how to activate the national pokedex so I am good there.
    I would still like to find out how to get lava tiles in the game. Can anyone help?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Alright, question time!
    I would like to make two locations in my ROM hack.... well unique. A desert and a Volcano. But in Fire Red this appears to be more difficult. I know that I can just insert tiles but I have already made a bit of progress and don't want it to go to waste. For the desert I intend to use the sand tiles in the game already but the problem occurs when wanting wild Pokemon to appear. How could I make it so that wild Pokemon appear on the route without using wild grasses? (By the way I am using Advance Map). The problem with the volcano is that there are no lava tiles, how could I get lava tiles in Fire Red?
    Also, at the beginning of the game I would like the National Pokedex to be given to the player immediately, how would I do this?

^^ Can't believe I'm giving my thread's link for the first time! ^^
    Anyways, man, just wacht the code. Let me know if there is any mistake.
    The National Pokédex is set to be given away after you deliver Oak's Parcel (var 4055 will be set to 6.)
    I don't know what happens so this variable is set to 7, but after you get the National Pokédex, it's going to be set at 8.
    If any Oak event is missing, freaking tell me.
    Also, I'm going to send my full code later, as I made some changes so the Teachy TV guy only let's you pass to the Viridian Forest after you have the National Dex.
    I also want to do both thing, desert and volcano (this one in Cinnabar, with Blaine's Stadium inside). I'm very interested on how to make the sand tiles a place to find Pokémon.

Years
  • Thank you! There are guides on how to activate the national pokedex so I am good there.
    I would still like to find out how to get lava tiles in the game. Can anyone help?
    You can rip them from RSE with A-Map, or you can get them from as a custom tileset. If you get a custom tileset though, you'll need to create a palette and index it.

Years
  • Is there a script that allows you to change your character overworld sprite in-game?

For example, you bought a shirt from the pokemart, and when you "use" it from your bag,
    the script runs and voila, your character sprite changes.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Is there a script that allows you to change your character overworld sprite in-game?

For example, you bought a shirt from the pokemart, and when you "use" it from your bag,
    the script runs and voila, your character sprite changes.

Not normally, you'd need to use an OW-switching ASM routine. There is such a feature as part of JPAN's Hacked FR Engine. Not sure if there are any independent routines that are free for use though, there's nothing in our ASM Requests thread.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Does anyone know of a tutorial (other than NarutoActor's) about adding new tile animations? Every time I do what he says the program crashes - don't know if its the tutorial, the program or just me :P.

I'd appreciate a new method!

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    Anyone know the pointer in Pokemon emerald to the 'POKEMON' text is the Pokedex? The bit where it says 'XXXXX' POKEMON above the height and weight. It looks like the text is at 0x5E86F3 but HxD can't find a pointer to there. There are 0's before it, maybe where the changeable bit is, searching for a pointer to the start of the 0's doesn't work.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2024
    I am wondering if there are snow tiles for Fire Red that don't over write any existing tiles? (EX: Snow covered trees, tall grass, ledges, the ground and rocks)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I am wondering if there are snow tiles for Fire Red that don't over write any existing tiles? (EX: Snow covered trees, tall grass, ledges, the ground and rocks)

There are no snow tiles in FireRed, you'll have to import them yourself or use a ROM base.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2024
    There are no snow tiles in FireRed, you'll have to import them yourself or use a ROM base.

Yeah I figured. Do you know of any tutorials on how to import tiles from other games (I would like to get Lava tiles from Emerald)? Also are there any ROM bases that have snow that wouldn't destroy all my progress so far that also fit in with the default Fire Red tiles?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Yeah I figured. Do you know of any tutorials on how to import tiles from other games (I would like to get Lava tiles from Emerald)? Also are there any ROM bases that have snow that wouldn't destroy all my progress so far that also fit in with the default Fire Red tiles?

There is at least one snow ROM base, but it'll probably move tiles around at least a little bit. Have a flick through here and see if you find anything.

In terms of inserting it yourself, Le Pug's tutorial is probably the most up-to-date guide.

Years
  • Yeah I figured. Do you know of any tutorials on how to import tiles from other games (I would like to get Lava tiles from Emerald)? Also are there any ROM bases that have snow that wouldn't destroy all my progress so far that also fit in with the default Fire Red tiles?
    In order to get things from Emerald and move them to FR, you'll have to open up A-Map, hit Block Editor while on a map that uses tileset 6 and export the palette that the lava uses and the tileset. Then you can use Le Pug's method of insertion that Mana brought up.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
  • Anyone know anything about increasing bag size? I know it can hold 50 items, and obviously these items would need to be stored in some part of the game, so I'm imagining repointing a table and changing some hex number to show how many items the cap is. If anyone has any info, I would love to hear it!

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    Anyone know anything about increasing bag size? I know it can hold 50 items, and obviously these items would need to be stored in some part of the game, so I'm imagining repointing a table and changing some hex number to show how many items the cap is. If anyone has any info, I would love to hear it!

I don't really know in FR/LG/E, but in R/S, there is a list of the offset for each item (having codebreaker code makes it easier, by looking at the first entry, e.g. item #1), though this method will fail for Emerald.

I think you need to debug (using VBA SDL-H or other debugger) it when you get / buy item on maxed bag, saving, and loading.

Question: Does anybody know how pokemon's nature is determined? I've tried to debug it (on Sapphire, when trying to make my own shinyzer) and it seems that it has been determined even before the game calculates the personality values of the pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2024
    I am currently having an issue with Advance Map (1.95 which maybe the problem) in which when I create a cave entering point you can enter the cave but you cannot go out the other way. The warps are in the correct positions, they are also correctly linked to each other yet it is still a one way. I have looked at other caves in the game and I appear to have the same set up as they do. What is wrong?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back