• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I want to download Jpan's hacked version of firered, but when I click on the attachment it takes me to a white screen, and saving it to my drop box gives me "attachment.php". When I click on that it just gives me a super long script. How can I properly download it, and other files on these forums?

The server was hacked and some files are gone.
    JPAN's engine has been reuploaded HERE.

RWB

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2019
    I'm kind of a newbie, so I need help with something pretty basic: If I give a pokemon both a regular level-based evolution, and happiness based evolution(which also evolves with level up), does one take priority over the other preventing it outright, or does it simply try each evolution after the other(and if so, which one goes first)?

I'm hacking Ruby, if it helps.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Okay, I'm doing a bit of a minihack, and there's something I want to know.

Is there a G/S/C script editor available? I'm only interested in hacking Gen II at the moment, not 3.

EDIT: Didn't know PKSV supported GBC. Cool.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    I'm kind of a newbie, so I need help with something pretty basic: If I give a pokemon both a regular level-based evolution, and happiness based evolution(which also evolves with level up), does one take priority over the other preventing it outright, or does it simply try each evolution after the other(and if so, which one goes first)?

Both should work fine.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024

I can't promise this, because I'm more familiar with the Stone evolutions that Level-up evolutions, but I'm fairly certain that if a Pokemon meets the criteria for multiple evolutions simultaneously, it will attempt to evolve into the first one listed in the evolution table (that thing that has a 40 byte structure for every Pokemon, 5 evolutions, 8 bytes per evolution).

In other words, please don't do that. If you have them listed as [level] [happiness], then once the Pokemon reaches the required level, it will never be able to evolve via happiness; if it's [happiness] [level], if it reaches max happiness, the only way to evolve by level would be by making it dislike you (for example, bitter herbs or letting it faint).

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    Quick Questions & Answers

Okay, so i've created a dodgy map(will fix it later on)

Was wondering how I can change the "Hoenn" text, to preferably, "Kanto"

Thanks in advance

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    Hello!

Does anybody know how to edit the .ini file of NSE? I know this can be done in Overworld Editor RE, but I'd like to use NSE instead (I'm changing the sprite dimensions to 32x32, which I don't think you can do in OE RE). I'm adding more palettes to my hack and it seems like the only way to do so is to jump between those two programs.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just created my own .ini

Last edited:

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • May I ask why it is seemingly difficult to import/export movesets?
    Having done movesets for all 720 a few times over now for various reasons, it's always extremely tedious and boring...
    Is it because of the freespace involved? Formatting or...?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    May I ask why it is seemingly difficult to import/export movesets?
    Having done movesets for all 720 a few times over now for various reasons, it's always extremely tedious and boring...
    Is it because of the freespace involved? Formatting or...?
    Iirc, some really awesome dude posted a .s file that assembles into the movesets for all 721 pokemon. All you need to do is define each move index, and it even lets you paste the movesets wherever you want, all at once.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=360730

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • Iirc, some really awesome dude posted a .s file that assembles into the movesets for all 721 pokemon. All you need to do is define each move index, and it even lets you paste the movesets wherever you want, all at once.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=360730
    oh dang
    i am so grateful
    *hugs*

EDIT:
    Real quick question:
    It seems like what it does is just give a big block, no?
    So, we still need to repoint, yes?
    Or can you please explain te process?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    oh dang
    i am so grateful
    *hugs*

EDIT:
    Real quick question:
    It seems like what it does is just give a big block, no?
    So, we still need to repoint, yes?
    Or can you please explain te process?
    No, it handles the repointing by itself. There are two blocks.
    There's the pointers block, which is at the offset specified by
    .equ offset_ptrs_to_learnsets, 0xYYYYYYYY @don't forget to begin 0x08 or 0x09
    And there's the blocks of the actual moves and levels, which is specified by
    .equ offset_learnset_data, 0xZZZZZZZZ @don't forget to begin 0x08 or 0x09

You need to know the pointers offset already in the ROM (check the ini you were using, if you don't know it) and paste over it.
    The 0xZZZZZZZZ is anywhere in free space, but by writing it in the file before assembling, all of the pointers will be corrected.

Note that this method only works for the three byte level up style; if you're still using the two byte style, you're out of luck.

RWB

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2019
    Both should work fine.

I can't promise this, because I'm more familiar with the Stone evolutions that Level-up evolutions, but I'm fairly certain that if a Pokemon meets the criteria for multiple evolutions simultaneously, it will attempt to evolve into the first one listed in the evolution table (that thing that has a 40 byte structure for every Pokemon, 5 evolutions, 8 bytes per evolution).

In other words, please don't do that. If you have them listed as [level] [happiness], then once the Pokemon reaches the required level, it will never be able to evolve via happiness; if it's [happiness] [level], if it reaches max happiness, the only way to evolve by level would be by making it dislike you (for example, bitter herbs or letting it faint).

Interesting, too bad you seem to clash.

I think I'll test it on another file, giving one starter happiness evolution listed first and regular level evolution second, and then reverse it for another starter. Start both at max happiness and make level 6 the evolution level to test it all!

Tested it, and the order in the table doesn't matter: Regular Level takes priority and the happiness evo is never available.

I'll edit the mons I had with this setup into stone evos instead. ;_;

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Quick Questions & Answers

Okay, so i've created a dodgy map(will fix it later on)

Was wondering how I can change the "Hoenn" text, to preferably, "Kanto"

Thanks in advance

A-Text, but that's a buggy tool. So I suggest you use a hex editor, like this one, and because both HOENN and KANTO have the same number of characters, you can easily just replace the words HOENN to KANTO.

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2021
    Well To Be Honest I Am New Here. I Wanted To Create A Pokemon Rom Hack. I Already Made Suitable Story But I Don't Know Anything About Spriting. I Was Trying To Make Some New Sprites From 80x80 Sprites Which I Found In Pokemon Database Website. I Want To Make 256x 64 shaped sprites. Could anyone help me which software should i use and how can i create them?

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    How does one add more pokemon to Emerald itself? I was thinking of adding some more current gen pokemon to The Emerald Based hack I've started on. This is my first time.

Orpheus Antony

The Li'l Legendary
    Years
  • Hi, I was trying to add a symbol (A small star) next to a pokemon's name to indicate it had a special ability, and I wanted to change the names in Yape to simply [Pokemon]+ because I know I won't use + elsewhere in the ROM, and change the symbol + to look like the star, but I can't find in unLZ-GBA or elsewhere the sprites for the alphabet or punctuation.

I'm using fire red

Thanks!

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Hi, I was trying to add a symbol (A small star) next to a pokemon's name to indicate it had a special ability, and I wanted to change the names in Yape to simply [Pokemon]+ because I know I won't use + elsewhere in the ROM, and change the symbol + to look like the star, but I can't find in unLZ-GBA or elsewhere the sprites for the alphabet or punctuation.

I'm using fire red

Thanks!

The images are broken but the text here should be enough to show you what you need to do to modify the font. It can be a bit tedious but it isn't very difficult.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=266885

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back