• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

im_mega

Some guy on the internet.
Years
    • he/him
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Okay, First off thank you so much for taking out time and trying to help me, meant a lot to me!

Now, I may try doing irfaan veiw method and then individually adding each color to a-map, but as I said I used tile helper advance :/
    The only problem I see here is I used ms Paint for win 7 but well, tile helper converts the image right?
    Over that, whenever I try to save the image as 16 color DIB In aint one of the two things occur
    a. Either the image is totally messed up and repasting the original image ( with decreased color depth ) does not work or,
    b. A-Map simply puts up the error "Invalid DIB".

Anyways, I would try doing all that again and if something comes up, I will hit you with a PM :)

Yeah, windows 7 paint doesn't save as DIB (correctly, atleast), so download Paint XP here. I haven't used Tile Helper, so I can't help you there, sorry. I personally use just use the built in pallette editor in A-Map.

HamtaroTumin

[font=avantgarde-demi][color=#379BBD]#WaitForTheRi
    Years
  • As this a quick Question and answer thread I would expect the answer quicker,

I want to change the region map,
    1) I want to change the palate from the real palate of Fr/Lg's region map
    2) I have saw a thread on the beginners lounge asking that how to change the other region's map too like the sevi islands other than The kanto.
    3) Like I have saw in tuts that at first I have to make the map in a messed up palate like the city will be yellow etc. can I change the map without making the map in that palate so I can add new palate in them as I have said the point 1.

And if you know any thing I can add in my region map, you can suggest me.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2016
    Hello everybody, quick question; i'm working on a simple hack of fire red that begins immediately with the pokemon league. I was wondering if someone knows if is possible to put a PC with pokemons already inside the storage system in the first room as the game begins, thank you :D

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • As this a quick Question and answer thread I would expect the answer quicker,

I want to change the region map,
    1) I want to change the palate from the real palate of Fr/Lg's region map
    2) I have saw a thread on the beginners lounge asking that how to change the other region's map too like the sevi islands other than The kanto.
    3) Like I have saw in tuts that at first I have to make the map in a messed up palate like the city will be yellow etc. can I change the map without making the map in that palate so I can add new palate in them as I have said the point 1.

And if you know any thing I can add in my region map, you can suggest me.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=284306&highlight=world+map There's other threads on world map hacking in the tutorials section, as well as palette hacking, if this isn't sufficient.

HamtaroTumin

Years
  • Hello everybody, quick question; i'm working on a simple hack of fire red that begins immediately with the pokemon league. I was wondering if someone knows if is possible to put a PC with pokemons already inside the storage system in the first room as the game begins, thank you :D

You can make the game that begins after the league, with some setflags in the scripts but as you saying that a game will start with a pc full of pokemons, sorry this cant be happen, as you already know that a pokemon will be stored in the pc A-F-T-E-R your team is full so if you need a box full of pokemons, "I think that will take 36 givepokemon commands to fullfill that" sorry I was joking. So your last question's answer have no answer for me.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2016
    Understood :( Basically the rom starts in a room, then as you exit it warps you directly at the league to fight the elite four. The stuff that bothers me is how to quickly obtain a team of six pokemons to fight, ant tips to achieve a similar effect?

Tapan681

RiverDream
    Years
  • Understood :( Basically the rom starts in a room, then as you exit it warps you directly at the league to fight the elite four. The stuff that bothers me is how to quickly obtain a team of six pokemons to fight, ant tips to achieve a similar effect?

Try this-
    Create 6 people (make them look like officials). With the help of applymovement and givepokemon, create a map script (which will start just when the main char enters the map). or create 3 officials giving pokemon, 1 from rival and 2 from random people sitting there, etc like that

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2018
    Quick Questions & Answers

Picture says all, I guess. I modified Route 125 and did not create a new map because, well, it's easier to not mess with the offsets. Problem is that the sign on entry is the wrong type. How can I change this to the standard land route sign rather than the sea route sign?

Last edited:

HamtaroTumin

Years
  • Quick Questions & Answers

Picture says all, I guess. I modified Route 125 and did not create a new map because, well, it's easier to not mess with the offsets. Problem is that the sign on entry is the wrong type. How can I change this to the standard land route sign rather than the sea route sign?

Thats, easy, if you only want to change the name then, *Note, Advance-Map only. Open the rom in A-Map and go to this map. Then go to the "Header" tab and change the name to Route 125, IF you want to totally remove the route 47 name from the game or if the name of "route 125" is already in your rom then find that route in the pop-down option beside the Name in the "Header" tab.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2018
    Thats, easy, if you only want to change the name then, *Note, Advance-Map only. Open the rom in A-Map and go to this map. Then go to the "Header" tab and change the name to Route 125, IF you want to totally remove the route 47 name from the game or if the name of "route 125" is already in your rom then find that route in the pop-down option beside the Name in the "Header" tab.

Not what I meant. I meant how do I change it so it looks like this:

This is what I want to see displayed, but I can't figure out how to change the sign from the sea route style to the standard land route/small town type.

Years
    • Seen today
    Not what I meant. I meant how do I change it so it looks like this:

This is what I want to see displayed, but I can't figure out how to change the sign from the sea route style to the standard land route/small town type.

Okay, in A-Map, on the map you want to change, go to the box labeled Map Options, on the Header tab. There should be a dropdown labeled Type, click it and select what you want to change the map type to.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2018
    Okay, in A-Map, on the map you want to change, go to the box labeled Map Options, on the Header tab. There should be a dropdown labeled Type, click it and select what you want to change the map type to.

Doesn't work for reasons I am not quite sure of. It doesn't seem to be consistent either. Routes 101 through 123 at least all use byte 03 as their type, the default route type, but at least routes 105 through 109 have the sea route sign type. Perhaps this byte is referring to something else? I really don't know. Byte 03 is the one I am using for the both routes displaying the incorrect sign (I've also recreated Route 48). If it weren't for the lack of bridges or Battle Tower, I'd probably just switch to FireRed. Maybe I should anyway. :/

I'll look under the "show name on entering" option even though only a handful are documented. Might find something there.

EDIT: Nope, nothing. I'm not sure the changes are "sticking" either, since saving and opening the ROM (yes, it is the same file) won't even apply the "do not show name on entering" option. Problem with AMap maybe? I can't imagine it would be if everything else is working.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2016
    So I have noticed on some rom hacks that the OW that appears in the game is different then the one used on the advanced map. Does anyone know how that works?

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2022
    I'm hacking emerald, and I'm making a game with a new region (not an especially huge one) and new pokemon, and I'm curious about something: Am I going to need to expand my rom? I'm worried about running out of space halfway through making the game, does anybody know about how much I can do without running out of space?

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2016
    Try this-
    Create 6 people (make them look like officials). With the help of applymovement and givepokemon, create a map script (which will start just when the main char enters the map). or create 3 officials giving pokemon, 1 from rival and 2 from random people sitting there, etc like that

what if i want the player of the hack to be able to choose which pokemon to take, is it possible to make a script where an npc gives a list of pokemon to choose from?

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    I'm working with Gold and Crystal and I have a couple questions that hopefully someone can answer.

1. I want to put the Safari Zone back in. How do I add wild Pokemon data to maps that don't have it?
    2. Is there a script editor for Generation 2 games?
    3. Is there a map editor that works with Crystal?

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    Look into a program called 'G2Map.' It seems to be compatible with Crystal but it's not as robust as other GBC map tools.

Nice thanks. Would you also happen to know of a map editor for Yellow?

[EDIT] Oh and possibly a Pokemon Editor that can change evolutions for Yellow

Tapan681

RiverDream
    Years
  • what if i want the player of the hack to be able to choose which pokemon to take, is it possible to make a script where an npc gives a list of pokemon to choose from?

That is possible too. Well, using givepokemon script and flags, u can do it except it wont display list of pokemon. It will ask player if he wants that pokemon and so on will ask.
    If I am not wrong, Pokemon Light Platinum had this way of giving pokemon

Happy and at peace. :)
    Years
  • I'm hacking emerald, and I'm making a game with a new region (not an especially huge one) and new pokemon, and I'm curious about something: Am I going to need to expand my ROM? I'm worried about running out of space halfway through making the game, does anybody know about how much I can do without running out of space?

If you want a short answer, skip to the tl;dr. If you want to know why, read the following section.

I just did a quick calculation for you. from 0x000000 to about 0x9C0B20 0xB00000 to 0xB98B30, 0XC00000 TO 0XDE4020 are non zero regions, the rest is free. This is C3D670 bytes in hex, which in decimal is approximately 13 megabytes non free. You have a remainder of approximately 3MB, which out of that, 2MB (1C309B bytes) is "FF", which in FireRed is free space, the rest is "00", which looks like it may be used by Emerald, which is a small amount, but depending on the size of your region, may work fine.

TL;DR You have at least 2, possibly 3MB free, out of 16MB, so depending on the size of your region, you may or may not need to expand. Don't forget that you are building upon an already existing engine, and that even with the lower estimate of 2MB you have quite a lot of space to work with.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back