• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starfall321

OnePunchStarfall
Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2016
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I just learned that JPAN's special 0x17, the special that changes an existing move on a Pokemon to another, doesn't work with an extended attack table. So when I try to teach a Pokemon a move past psycho boost, it freezes the game. I'm guessing it involves a limiter or something with his modified special, but idk how to fix that. Any help pls?

Read, modify, compile,insert the source code and repoint special for 0x17, pretty sure he did limiter to prevent overflow for most of his code.

Years
  • How exactly did you go about this?

I tried something new, now it doesn't freeze but just says the item will have no effect when you try to use it. I opened up the rom in the tool, chose one of the ?????? items, changed the field effect to usable, changed type to out of battle, use to anywhere, then clicked more usage, ticked the boxes for happiness and changed the value to ten, then saved changes.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    egg

Is there a reason this giveegg command isn't working? I want Red to give you an egg after beating him. I don't need a message coming up to say you haven't got room as it is effectively a secret (beat him with 5 pokes in your party and he'll give you the egg).

Using hex, I replaced one of the special codes with a call command. Here I input the replaced code and added the egg code.

When I test, it causes the game to lock up. Initially I had the call command lower down, which didn't result in the game crashing, but didn't do anything at all.

Any advice? Here's the hex code and the commands viewed via PKSV.

Quick Questions & Answers

Is there a reason this giveegg command isn't working? I want Red to give you an egg after beating him. I don't need a message coming up to say you haven't got room as it is effectively a secret (beat him with 5 pokes in your party and he'll give you the egg).

Using hex, I replaced one of the special codes with a call command. Here I input the replaced code and added the egg code.

When I test, it causes the game to lock up. Initially I had the call command lower down, which didn't result in the game crashing, but didn't do anything at all.

Any advice? Here's the hex code and the commands viewed via PKSV.

Not well versed in Gen2, but your script just ends when it branches to giving the egg. If there's a return command so that the script can give you the egg and then branch back to finish the rest of the script, that will probably solve your issue. If there isn't, you should put everything from "special 0x6A" to "credits, end" after the giveegg in your egg giving script so that the game can continue as normal. Again, that's just what I noticed from your syntax and command order. If there's some Gen 2 specific issue with an offset or something, I'm clueless.

EDIT: If you replaced a special command entirely for your call command and it's important for the event to happen correctly, you may want to put it back in by repointing the script so there's space for both it and your call command.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    Not well versed in Gen2, but your script just ends when it branches to giving the egg. If there's a return command so that the script can give you the egg and then branch back to finish the rest of the script, that will probably solve your issue. If there isn't, you should put everything from "special 0x6A" to "credits, end" after the giveegg in your egg giving script so that the game can continue as normal. Again, that's just what I noticed from your syntax and command order. If there's some Gen 2 specific issue with an offset or something, I'm clueless.

EDIT: If you replaced a special command entirely for your call command and it's important for the event to happen correctly, you may want to put it back in by repointing the script so there's space for both it and your call command.

I don't think you need a return script. I have extra scripting elsewhere in the game and I just finished the extension with 91 and the game reverted back to where it left off. I tried adding the extra info as per your suggestion, but it didn't work. And yeah, I made sure the command was included in the call :)

Thanks anyway for your input. Hopefully someone else can advise me further.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • I tried something new, now it doesn't freeze but just says the item will have no effect when you try to use it. I opened up the rom in the tool, chose one of the ?????? items, changed the field effect to usable, changed type to out of battle, use to anywhere, then clicked more usage, ticked the boxes for happiness and changed the value to ten, then saved changes.
    Try changing the "Field Effect" box to whatever the "Field Effect" value is for the item ZINC (or any other item you can use like that).
    EDIT: And I'm extremely sorry for not giving a specfic value; I haven't opened my computer to do ROM hacking things in at least two months~

Years
  • Try changing the "Field Effect" box to whatever the "Field Effect" value is for the item ZINC (or any other item you can use like that).
    EDIT: And I'm extremely sorry for not giving a specfic value; I haven't opened my computer to do ROM hacking things in at least two months~

The Field Effect box already has the same value as ZINC (080A16E1, which the tool calls 'usable').

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • Is there a reason this giveegg command isn't working?
    + stuff...
    2call 0xF460 tries to call script code from ram address $F460. If you want to call data from rom at 0x18F460, you have to set the parameter of call code as 2call 0x7460.

The start of the rom bank you're at is at 0x18C000 and to point to 0x18F460, you have to add 0x3460 into that, and 0x3460 + 0x4000 = 0x7460.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    Is there a thread or post about Deoxys' formes? I'm using FireRed and would like Deoxys to be normal forme or to be able to change it's forme.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    Are you looking for a routine to change forms? There's this thread if that's the case.

I'm not sure how to use that so is there a thread for Deoxys' forme in each game. Like R/S it's normal, E it's speed, FR it's attack, and LG it's defense. I would like Deoxys not to have a forme change so it's stats and sprites will not be changed by the game if I decide to change it from PGE or another pokemon editor.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I'm having a bit of trouble with warps :p I want to make it so if you enter a house, you appear in an outside area, but whenever I enter the house I just get a black screen.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    2call 0xF460 tries to call script code from ram address $F460. If you want to call data from rom at 0x18F460, you have to set the parameter of call code as 2call 0x7460.

The start of the rom bank you're at is at 0x18C000 and to point to 0x18F460, you have to add 0x3460 into that, and 0x3460 + 0x4000 = 0x7460.

Rookie mistake :/ Thanks!

Anyway, that has brought to light another issue. The egg giving replaces the 6th pokemon in your party, if you have a full party.

I didn't think I would need anything extra, as you would have thought that the egg could only be given if you had room. I added a check code to look at the number of pokemon in your party. If you have 6, it jumps past the egg giving bit. However, it doesn't seem to work. I double checked with the Karate King's code, and that also contains the same verification: 1C 01 06 06....

Why is it not skipping ahead. The PKSV scripts make sense and all seem to link together?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Question about editing text (sorry if this is the wrong area)

Is it possible to use a conditional text statement?
    For example have:
    "Hello laddie..." or "You're not a girl" if the player is a boy
    "Hello lassie..." or "You're not a boy" if the player is a girl

There's the checkgender command, details about it are here.

I'm having a bit of trouble with warps :p I want to make it so if you enter a house, you appear in an outside area, but whenever I enter the house I just get a black screen.

Do you have a warp in the map you want to warp to and do the warp numbers match?

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    I've stumbled upon the source code for Pokemon Crystal, and since I know some Assembly I thought I could make a neat small modification or addons to the game as programming practice.

I've changed scripts, moved around a few options for trainers, pretty much everything that can be done by just editing the code. But unfortunately I can't seem to figure out how to add new maps.

I'm fairly sure the maps are contained in the BLK files from the source code, although I have no clue how to edit them. The information online is incredibly scarse, I found a few people telling me to use Crystalmap, but I don't see how that can work with the source code, since it edits an already existing ROM.

If anyone has any idea on how to do this, or has a good resource to look at I would really appreciate it. I've tried for two days but I can't seem to figure it out by myself.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    There's the checkgender command, details about it are here.

Do you have a warp in the map you want to warp to and do the warp numbers match?

Yes, and if I click the warp on the map it takes me to the other one, so it should be working.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2023
    Hey, I'm trying to make my hack more difficult, and I wanted to know how to lock battles to the set mode instead of shift, and prevent the use of items in battle

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    On that note, though, would it be possible to create difficulty settings that lock certain things? Like, say I start up a new game, it could offer me the normal or Nuzlocke mode, where if you choose the latter, it uses scripts to cause fainted Pokémon to have their max HP set to 0, and it kills the save file, if you black out, etc, but if you're on normal mode, it just plays like normal?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hi!
    I'm having a problem with OW sprites.
    So here is the thing, I inserted with NSE 8 32x32 frames for Mega-Lucario(Added walking animations)
    So here is the problem, take a look at these pictures.
    Spoiler:

As you can see, Advance Map, can see other frames, but when I'm trying to test it in VBA, it is always looking down.
    Can someone help me with this?
    Thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back