• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I want to extract a tileset from firered, but advance map won't let me because there are multiple entries for the same color in the palette I want to use. What should I do? Should I change those colors slightly or something?

Years
  • All you'd need to do, most likely, is use a program like AdvanceText to search for the strings in Spanish and then replace them with their English equivalents. Of course if the string in English is longer you will have to repoint.

Sometimes AdvanceText won't be able to find a pointer, so you will have to work within the character limit. This is mostly for stuff like in battle strings like for moves and items etc.

If you're using a Spanish ROM then the offsets might be different, but the search function in AdvanceText should still work.

Here's some examples of what im trying to translate if you or anyone else could help:

Bag:
    Spoiler:

Battle:
    Spoiler:

Also translating little things like "Riolu's Defense fell" "special attack" etc
    "Used"

Clock and Yes or No:
    Spoiler:

Options:
    Spoiler:

Start Menu:
    Spoiler:

Start Menu Options:
    Spoiler:

Any information where I can find all of this is greatly appreciated.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • Here's some examples of what im trying to translate if you or anyone else could help:

stuff

The good news about pretty much all of that is that the English versions will fit within the existing character limit. Now to translations. Please note that much of these are not literal translations and are a close as possible to what is found in the English games (which what I presume you want). (For example: Oir doesn't mean Sound. It means "to hear" but that looks silly in context)

Bag:
    Objetos = Items, Volver a = Return to, Cerrarla = Close

Battle:
    quiere una batalla = wants to battle, ¿Qué hará RIOLU? = What will Riolu do? (This one is longer in English), Luchar = Fight, Mochila = Bag, Huir = Run

Clock:
    Está correcta la hora = Is this the right time? Si = Yes, No = No

Options:
    Empezar = Start, Opción = Options

Start Menu:
    Maleta = Bag (I think it's interesting that they used a different word for bag in the menu and in battle) Guardar = Save, Opciones = Options, Salir = Exit

Start Menu Options:
    Velocidad = Text Speed (longer in English), Len, Med, Rap = Slo, Mid, Fas
    Escena Bat. = Battle Scene (could just be shortened to scene to save space)
    Estilo Bat. = Battle Style (same as Battle Scene) Oir = Sound (options Mono and Stereo remaining the same) Modo de L/R = L/R Settings (I think English FireRed just has it as LR without another word? I don't remember but you might have to do that because of space issues)
    Barra = Frame, Irse = Exit

Hopefully this helped!

If you have any other translation needs feel free to VM me (might be easier than on here). I've been speaking Spanish for 14/19 years of my life so I know a thing or two. :D

Years
  • The good news about pretty much all of that is that the English versions will fit within the existing character limit. Now to translations. Please note that much of these are not literal translations and are a close as possible to what is found in the English games (which what I presume you want). (For example: Oir doesn't mean Sound. It means "to hear" but that looks silly in context)

Bag:
    Objetos = Items, Volver a = Return to, Cerrarla = Close

Battle:
    quiere una batalla = wants to battle, ¿Qué hará RIOLU? = What will Riolu do? (This one is longer in English), Luchar = Fight, Mochila = Bag, Huir = Run

Clock:
    Está correcta la hora = Is this the right time? Si = Yes, No = No

Options:
    Empezar = Start, Opción = Options

Start Menu:
    Maleta = Bag (I think it's interesting that they used a different word for bag in the menu and in battle) Guardar = Save, Opciones = Options, Salir = Exit

Start Menu Options:
    Velocidad = Text Speed (longer in English), Len, Med, Rap = Slo, Mid, Fas
    Escena Bat. = Battle Scene (could just be shortened to scene to save space)
    Estilo Bat. = Battle Style (same as Battle Scene) Oir = Sound (options Mono and Stereo remaining the same) Modo de L/R = L/R Settings (I think English FireRed just has it as LR without another word? I don't remember but you might have to do that because of space issues)
    Barra = Frame, Irse = Exit

Hopefully this helped!

If you have any other translation needs feel free to VM me (might be easier than on here). I've been speaking Spanish for 14/19 years of my life so I know a thing or two. :D

Sorry my question was where do I go to translate all of these things, like a program or script editor or something. The Spanish I have covered sorry haha

Years
  • What I'm trying to accomplish is turning the screens below into English. I already know Spanish, I'm asking what I need to do to put my translations into the game. Like XSE, Advance Text, etc. If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.

Here's some examples of what im trying to translate if you or anyone else could help:

Bag:
    Spoiler:

Battle:
    Spoiler:

"Used"

Clock and Yes or No:
    Spoiler:

Options:
    Spoiler:

Start Menu:
    Spoiler:

Start Menu Options:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • What I'm trying to accomplish is turning the screens below into English. I already know Spanish, I'm asking what I need to do to put my translations into the game. Like XSE, Advance Text, etc. If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.

Bag:
    Spoiler:

Battle:
    Spoiler:

"Used"

Clock and Yes or No:
    Spoiler:

Options:
    Spoiler:

Start Menu:
    Spoiler:

Start Menu Options:
    Spoiler:

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • Sorry my question was where do I go to translate all of these things, like a program or script editor or something. The Spanish I have covered sorry haha

Okay I misunderstood your original post. No worries. :)

But I gave you a program in my original answer. AdvanceText. Did you try using the search function on it?

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Hey, I am trying to patch a .ips file to a Fire Red Base. The file patches successfully with Lunar, but when I try to play the game the screen is white. I have tried going into options and changing the save to 128k and 64k. However, both of these options don't work.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • Hey, I am trying to patch a .ips file to a Fire Red Base. The file patches successfully with Lunar, but when I try to play the game the screen is white. I have tried going into options and changing the save to 128k and 64k. However, both of these options don't work.

Which patch?

EDIT: Does the very beginning of the ROM file after patched look like the beginning of a clean FR ROM in a hex editor? I've had that happen to me a few times.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    The hack was called yet another fire red hack, or something like that. And I do not know what a hex editor is. Hi, I'm new here.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2023
    Hey there pokecommunity! New here and new to ROM hacking. I've previously been using YAPE without any issues in my rom hacks, but I recently started using PGE and had a question with the Pokemon editor that comes with it. I was wondering how to add additional level-up moves to pokemon. With YAPE it was as simple as hitting the Add button assuming there was space. I've expanded my ROM with PGE so I assume space isn't an issue and I've used the "Insert attacks at offset" button to try and add additional moves, but it doesn't appear to be as simple as that because I was unsuccessful in trying to add moves. Something tells me it has something to repointing hex values, but I have 0 knowledge with that. Any help is greatly appreciated!

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • Hey there pokecommunity! New here and new to ROM hacking. I've previously been using YAPE without any issues in my rom hacks, but I recently started using PGE and had a question with the Pokemon editor that comes with it. I was wondering how to add additional level-up moves to pokemon. With YAPE it was as simple as hitting the Add button assuming there was space. I've expanded my ROM with PGE so I assume space isn't an issue and I've used the "Insert attacks at offset" button to try and add additional moves, but it doesn't appear to be as simple as that because I was unsuccessful in trying to add moves. Something tells me it has something to repointing hex values, but I have 0 knowledge with that. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    so, yape is awesome in that it uses the pre-defined block for attacks and can dynamically move around learnsets as necessary. it's a really nice feature, but is limited to a certain amount of moves, correct? now, with pge, we can place learnsets outside of this pre-defined block. this is simply really nice because it gives us barely any limitation on what we can do with learnsets~
    so, what we can do is repoint the learnset offset to somewhere outside of this pre-defined block. i know that g3hs does it nicely and simply, just asking you how many moves you want in the new learnset, even carrying over old moves if you desire.
    with pge, what you want to do is find some free space (2 x [number of moves in new learnset] convert that to hex using your favorite windows/online calc, and this is the space your new learnset will take up). you repoint the learnset to the new address (by typing it into the "level-up attack pointer" box), and then press "insert attacks at offset." adjust the number of attacks to your liking, and then insert it at the same address as your free space address. you should then be able to edit to your liking~
    you can also have pge do the searching for you. if you do the "insert attacks at offset" step before finding free space, it finds the address of free space that you might want and then inserts the attacks there. you just can copy-paste the new address where the attacks were inserted into the "level-up attack pointer" box, and then everything should work finely~

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    Hello, I have a question regarding Advance Map and the MrDollSteaks rom hack.

When using the AdvanceMap on a clean firered rom, everything seems fine. However, after applying the rom hack, everything changes; for example a lot of the letters get cut off (e.g. Route 1 -> te 1, Cinnabar Island -> bar Island), and in stead of the normal locations (say, Pallet town), in the header it displays as "bar Island" (its the wrong location). Is there a problem with my rom or the base?

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    Size matters

A couple of quick questions. I've started a Pokemon Emerald hack and have added loads of new Pokes. The problem is, that the size is a bit off. For example, Cofagrigus should be pretty much human sized (ie, about the size of a charizard).

I would have thought that the size comparison section of YAPE would deal with this. I set the details to P offset 0, T offset 3, p size 256, t size 302 - to match Charizards. However this changes nothing.

How do you alter the size/scale of the pokemon?

Also, I need to change the pokemon cries. The new pokemon I've added are to replace crappy gen 3 pokes. My Cofagrigus sounds like a Minun. Is there are tool or anything I can use to update this?

Thanks

Years
    • Seen today
    The hack was called yet another fire red hack, or something like that. And I do not know what a hex editor is. Hi, I'm new here.

Hi new, I'm Dad!
    Are you sure the FR rom you have is version 1.0?
    You can check by loading a clean ROM and waiting until the GAMEFREAK logo. If there is a green PRESENTS, that's version 1.1.

A hex editor is basically a program that lets you see the raw data of a file a hexadecimal numbers. HxD is the one I use. It's great to learn hex editing, or modifying a ROM with a hex editor, because ASM and some features in the Research and Development section have to be put in manually. (Assuming you plan on ROM Hacking.)

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2024
    I have one major question today,

I have recently found Neti's Frozen Rom Base which looks perfect for an area of a rom hack I am currently trying to make on Fire Red. The download contains an Ips patch which overwrites tileset 0 which is the last thing I want to do. Also in the download there are resources that include files for A-Map. Palette replacing files, Pal(0-7).pal and Tileset0.pal. A tileset0.bvd and tileset0.dib. I have found all the uses for these files in A-Map and in A-Map the map I have created with these tiles fully inserted into a different tileset (I replaced 43, the power plant) look perfect. But then I enter the game and I get a horribly incorrect palettes by the look of it.

In short, I would love to use the tiles from this rom base but I cannot seem to be able to insert them into the game and have them display with the correct palettes.
    How can I solve this problem?

HopelessFrench

La baguette
    Years
  • How is it possible to unbind the camera from the player and move it? I've read about it somewhere but I can't find it again... Thanks in advance!

Sensual

This should be good.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2018
    I'm attempting to edit some of the default graphics in a Firered, but I'm having trouble finding the locations of a couple things. Could somebody direct me to the offsets for:

• Text entry menu (ie the screen on which you type the players name)
    • The Pokedex menu(s)
    • The Pokemon party menu
    • The bag menu

Or maybe just explain how I could find them myself?

How is it possible to unbind the camera from the player and move it? I've read about it somewhere but I can't find it again... Thanks in advance!

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=141650

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back