• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Raging Waves - The Water Type Pokémon Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
  • Neither do I LOL

But 4x Weakneses are....what do you want to call it.....a turnoff?

And Kingdra is very much a beast due to its Dragon/Water typing. Gyarados...just has to pray Thunderbolt/punch/fang isn't coming at him.

Then again, abilities play a role as Moxie is very good with Dragon Dance for Gyarados and Kingdra's Swift Swim abuse in Rainy Dance team....Mmmm

I don't know, we're all used to Gyarados the way he is now xD

Good players should be able to predict a Thunderbolt/Punch as only select few use movesets use them, and use the Earthquake immunity to switch into choice locked Earthquake users (which are pretty common) and set up Dragon Dance. And the lack of a drawback free Dragon STAB would really hinder a Water/Dragon Gyarados's Dragon Dance set.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Since you're getting a little bit off topic here and wandering into discussion about the specific Pokémons, I'd like to remind you to keep it on topic too. I don't mind competitive talk at all, as long as you keep something about the topics in your posts, thanks ;)

Username/Nickname: Jellicent♀

Partner Pokémon: Pashmina, the female Jellicent

Reason for joining the club: Water type Pokemon are fabulous. They have some of the most versatile, unpredictable, and most powerful move pools of all (in my opinion). Their designs are amazing, their stats are wonderful, and everything about them screams "grace".

(Optional) Top 3 favourite Water type Pokémon:

1. Jellicent: This is just one fabulous Pokemon. Its design is very unique and interesting, and its stats are nothing to play with. Huge HP and great Special Defense is what really attracts me to a Pokemon. Its move pool leaves room for great support, and when done right, can create a great offense. Plus, they have my favorite color combinations between both genders; blue, pink, and white!

2. Gyarados: One monster ready for action. His Attack is great, his Special Defense is impressive, and his move pool, while not always able to pull it off to its fullest potential, is wonderful. If only they could have great Special Attack, as well. I think we'd have a real monster on our hands. His design commands attention, and I think he's elegant in his own right.

3. Milotic: I'm a sucker for pretty Pokemon, and this is on gorgeous Pokemon. Great Special defense, good Special Attack, decent HP, great recovery support, and its move pool is interesting. It's beauty and elegance makes it a very popular appearance in my top ten Pokemon list.

As for the current topic, I don't understand what makes Slowpoke, Slowbro, and Slowking a Water type Pokemon. Are they based off an animal that lives in the water that I just don't know about?
    Welcome to the club, Jellicent♀, I hope you'll have fun here and remember to stay active ;) You're right that most of the Water type Pokémon are truly graceful and amazing, so it's no wonder it's one of my favourite typings.
    One thing that's confusing me about the female Jellicent is actually the white parts in its design. It's evident on the male ones that it's white, but on the female ones it just looks like a lighter shade of pink, though that is probably because of the background :I

About the Slowpoke family, I don't think they're based on any real animals, but they seem to be mostly residing in, or near water, so that's probably why they got the Water typing.
    Bulbapedia said:
    Slowpoke are large pink creatures that resemble a cross between a salamander and a hippopotamus.

How on earth did I make such a silly mistake! I've corrected it now, here's the fixed one-
    Once again, your contributions are really appreciated :)

OT: The reason Gamefreak made Gyarados a Flying type in the first place, was because they thought it would be too strong if it was to be a Water/Dragon dual type, though that proved to have been an inefficient decision with Kingdra being introduced already in the following generation. In any case, I think it would've been appropriate if they had changed Gyarados' Flying type to Dragon in the second generation, as Flying type doesn't fit it at all.

With Azurill, I don't see the reason to make it a Normal type either. I mean both of its evolutions had already been introduced as Water types, so it doesn't really seem fit to make their baby form a Normal type :I

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    I wanted to post some really cool pictures relating to Water type, as I did post them in the last Water club, why not show them here too!
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Since you're getting a little bit off topic here and wandering into discussion about the specific Pokémons, I'd like to remind you to keep it on topic too. I don't mind competitive talk at all, as long as you keep something about the topics in your posts, thanks ;)

Welcome to the club, Jellicent♀, I hope you'll have fun here and remember to stay active ;) You're right that most of the Water type Pokémon are truly graceful and amazing, so it's no wonder it's one of my favourite typings.
    One thing that's confusing me about the female Jellicent is actually the white parts in its design. It's evident on the male ones that it's white, but on the female ones it just looks like a lighter shade of pink, though that is probably because of the background :I

About the Slowpoke family, I don't think they're based on any real animals, but they seem to be mostly residing in, or near water, so that's probably why they got the Water typing.
    I think that it's a lighter shade of pink, too. The Dream world art even shows it being a lighter pink. None-the-less, I still love it. lol

And i can see where you're coming from for Slowpoke, I just still don't see how it's water. Latios and Latias live near water, yet they're a Dragon/Psychic combo. Idk. Just weird to me.

Another one I don't see being water is Lotad. Yes, it's a lily pad, but it seems more of a grass type than anything.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    OT: The reason Gamefreak made Gyarados a Flying type in the first place, was because they thought it would be too strong if it was to be a Water/Dragon dual type, though that proved to have been an inefficient decision with Kingdra being introduced already in the following generation. In any case, I think it would've been appropriate if they had changed Gyarados' Flying type to Dragon in the second generation, as Flying type doesn't fit it at all.
    And now they have Palkia also a Water/Dragon (Even though it's a Legendary Pokemon). When Kingdra was first released I always thought that the Water/Dragon typing suited its name. KINGdra?

Since we've already established Gyarados already, what about Mantine? Would it be better off being a lone Water type?

Also I wanted to point out, what about Lugia? Should he be a Psychic/Water type instead of Psychic/Flying? I think so, having a Levitate ability would be a must though.

Last edited:

Olli

Years
  • @Jellicent
    Lotad is a Pokémon that has really confused me. I remember something about it not being able to learn Water Gun and it's able to learn several Grass type moves if I remember correctly. I completely agree that it should've been a Grass type instead, though.

@Sector Revenge
    Those pictures are just dripping with awesomeness :o I seriously couldn't believe the quality of some of them at first. Thank you for those lovely pictures :D

OT:
    Mantine's typing just seems like a poor decision, it doesn't even make that much sense. Manta Ray's may be able to jump high into the air when emerging from the water, but they surely can't fly. So I don't think it should've been a Flying type either.
    Lugia is actually the one who originally made me think of this topic (which was a bit back, but I had some other topic ideas, so I simply forgot about it), since it's even mentioned as the guardian of the sea or something in the movie, is found on water in the games and just generally reminds me of a Water type, so I don't get why it didn't get to be one. I think its Psychic typing should've been replaced with Water type, as it just seems way more appropriate >_<

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    @Jellicent
    Lotad is a Pokémon that has really confused me. I remember something about it not being able to learn Water Gun and it's able to learn several Grass type moves if I remember correctly. I completely agree that it should've been a Grass type instead, though.

@Sector Revenge
    Those pictures are just dripping with awesomeness :o I seriously couldn't believe the quality of some of them at first. Thank you for those lovely pictures :D

OT:
    Mantine's typing just seems like a poor decision, it doesn't even make that much sense. Manta Ray's may be able to jump high into the air when emerging from the water, but they surely can't fly. So I don't think it should've been a Flying type either.
    Lugia is actually the one who originally made me think of this topic (which was a bit back, but I had some other topic ideas, so I simply forgot about it), since it's even mentioned as the guardian of the sea or something in the movie, is found on water in the games and just generally reminds me of a Water type, so I don't get why it didn't get to be one. I think its Psychic typing should've been replaced with Water type, as it just seems way more appropriate >_<
    Lugia as a Water/Flying? Mm to even up with Ho-Oh to add up the 4x weakness, just like Gyarados/Mantine, to Electricity? I don't know..I like the Water/Psychic type idea since it sounds bulky and Lugia is Bulky..isn't it? I remember Slowbro being all bulky and able to take hit. Guess it's a matter of an opinion.

Let's take a look at it for a moment:

Olli

Years
  • Its sprite doesn't really resemble that of a Psychic type, but then again, there aren't that many Pokémon you can't predict the typing of by just looking at its sprite (as we've got to know lol). I agree that the Water/Psychic type would be a good idea, but so does Water/Flying and I don't know, the latter just seems like the most fitting basing it off of its sprite.

An easy way to solve this problem: Triple typings ;p

Halcyon

peace and serenity
    Years
  • I'd like to join please. :)

Username/Nickname: Halcyon
    Partner Pokémon: Kingdra
    Reason for joining the club: Water-types are the most diverse in the bunch! And also Kingdra is in it too, yeah. ^^
    (Optional) Top 3 favourite Water type Pokémon: Kingdra, Starmie and Slowking.

By the way, triple typings could get scary. Imagine 8x effectiveness on one single Pokemon! That poor thing! ;~;

And with the many different possible combinations, I think they can get a little confusing as well.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I agree, I wasn't quite sure about Lugia's typing, based on its appearance and habitat for the last couple thosand years..? deep below sealevel I am quite stunned about why it isn't a Water/Flying.

gamerdna223

No influence from the meme!
    Years
  • Username/Nickname: gamerdna223

Partner Pokémon: M the Mudkip

Reason for joining the club: Water-types are awesome! They're probably the cutest too.

(Optional) Top 3 favourite Water type Pokémon: Mudkip, Oshawott, Keldeo

Nagaraja

আমি সর্প থেকে নোয়ান নিচে হবে
    Years
  • Username/Nickname: Nagaraja

Partner Pokémon: Hoshiko the Starmie

Reason for joining the club: I love swimming, and I love water pokemon. Kasumi is my favorite leader in the entire series, and I love water pokemon like she does. :D (It's sad, when I'm in the water, I look at fish that swim and pretend they are Magikarps....)

(Optional) Top 3 favourite Water type Pokémon: Starmie, Staryu, Dewgong.

Olli

Years
  • I'd like to join please. :)

Username/Nickname: Halcyon
    Partner Pokémon: Kingdra
    Reason for joining the club: Water-types are the most diverse in the bunch! And also Kingdra is in it too, yeah. ^^
    (Optional) Top 3 favourite Water type Pokémon: Kingdra, Starmie and Slowking.

By the way, triple typings could get scary. Imagine 8x effectiveness on one single Pokemon! That poor thing! ;~;

And with the many different possible combinations, I think they can get a little confusing as well.

Username/Nickname: gamerdna223

Partner Pokémon: M the Mudkip

Reason for joining the club: Water-types are awesome! They're probably the cutest too.

(Optional) Top 3 favourite Water type Pokémon: Mudkip, Oshawott, Keldeo

Username/Nickname: Nagaraja

Partner Pokémon: Hoshiko the Starmie

Reason for joining the club: I love swimming, and I love water pokemon. Kasumi is my favorite leader in the entire series, and I love water pokemon like she does. :D (It's sad, when I'm in the water, I look at fish that swim and pretend they are Magikarps....)

(Optional) Top 3 favourite Water type Pokémon: Starmie, Staryu, Dewgong.
    Welcome to the club you three, I hope you'll have a great time here and hopefully stay active. Since none of you mentioned this, is there anything special you like about the Water types, or is it just narrowed down to diversity and specific characters?

On Topic:
    Ok, so we kinda concluded that Lugia should've been a Water type, but we weren't sure which the type combination should be and that Gyarados should've been a Water/Dragon type, just like Kingdra.
    With that, I guess it's appropriate to start a new topic, just remember that this one is still up running, so you can still reply to it.

New topic: 'Which of the Water Pokémon do you think have the most interesting type combination?'

I would probably have to say Marshtomp and Swampert with the Water/Ground typing, as it is a rather unique one with a lot of advantages, which fixes the heavy disadvantage against Electric types, though a downer is the 4x advantage to Grass types. It also gives a larger variety of moves, in which some of the Ground type moves are really strong, which results in a great movepool. Other than that, I just like the Water/Ground dual typing, as it's a pretty much different typing than the usual and it's just generally awesome.

gamerdna223

No influence from the meme!
    Years
  • I think that the Frillish family has an interesting type combo. Water/Ghost is definitely.... interesting, to say the least. It only takes normal damage from 5 types - Flying, Ground, Rock, Psychic, and Dragon. Of the other types, it has 6 resistances and 2 immunities, but the other 4 are weaknesses. However, it's not weak to the most common types in Unova, so I think that it could fit into an in-game team.

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
  • Can I join?
    Username/Nickname: The Nightmare

Partner Pokémon: Palkia

Reason for joining the club: Water types have been my favourite pokemon and type and i always choose water type pokemon.

Top 3 favourite Water type Pokémon:
    1.Palkia
    2.Kygore
    3.Suicune.

Years
  • I think that the Frillish family has an interesting type combo. Water/Ghost is definitely.... interesting, to say the least. It only takes normal damage from 5 types - Flying, Ground, Rock, Psychic, and Dragon. Of the other types, it has 6 resistances and 2 immunities, but the other 4 are weaknesses. However, it's not weak to the most common types in Unova, so I think that it could fit into an in-game team.

Yeah I agree with you on Frillish and Jellicent, they have an interesting typing that is really good to use. They even have Cursed Body to disable an enemy's attacks which can be handy. They can also learn some good special-based moves like Surf, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball and even Energy Ball!

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    The most interesting is from Ludicolo, with Water/Grass, in my opinion.

Then we've got Empoleon with its Water/Steel type

and Bibarel...who has Normal/Water type?

Olli

Years
  • Can I join?
    Username/Nickname: The Nightmare

Partner Pokémon: Palkia

Reason for joining the club: Water types have been my favourite pokemon and type and i always choose water type pokemon.

Top 3 favourite Water type Pokémon:
    1.Palkia
    2.Kygore
    3.Suicune.
    Of course you can join. Welcome to the club, The Nightmare, I hope you'll enjoy your time here.

OT:
    Jellicent had a nice typing with the Water/Ghost dual typing, though with the Litwick family being introduced with the Fire/Ghost dual typing, it's not nearly as original as it could've been. Though I can see how a Water/Ghost typing could benefit you, though I don't think it would be that effective in competitive battling, even though it doesn't have a 4x weakness.

Out of the three you mentioned, Sector, Empoleon would probably be the one with the most interesting typing, mainly due to its originality. I can see why people wouldn't like it due to the movepool not being as varied and as good as many other dual types have it, though the different than average typing is enough to make it interesting.

Ludicolo also has a very nice typing, one which is just as bizarre, yet beneficial as the Water/Electric typing. They both give immunities to the typings that are the most dangerous for the Water types and they're all in all very interesting. But to be honest, I think Ludicolo's evolutionary line should've just been Grass types, as it just seems more fit for that line, which we also discussed in the previous topic.

Bibarel, though, is not what I'd say have an interesting typing at all. All dual typings containing Normal types just seems so dull, not interesting at all and it doesn't lead to any good movepools, which is another downer. Either way, Bidoof and Bibarel are mainly used as HM slaves, so at least they're useful for something ;)

Eric The Simipour

The modest and naive Simipour.
    Years
  • Username/Nickname: Eric The Simipour

Partner Pokémon: Simipour

Reason for joining the club: Have taken a liking towards several Water types and actually the type has grown on me more than Grass and Electricity, which were the types I grew up favoring. Oh I hope that doesn't make me loose cool points here niihehe. ^ ^

Top 3 favourite Water type Pokémon: Simipour, Lapras, Floatzel

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back