• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Raikou

Years
  • I spent all of Easter Monday morning tracking Raikou and Entei. Used Scyther to False Swipe them and Ampharos paralyzed them. Couldn't be bothered to get something with hypnosis, so I made do with paralysis :P. Once they were in prime catching conditions I started chucking Quick Balls. Entei went in on the third attempt, but Raikou took about 15. Caught Suicune last night too. Nothing on the first attempt, again False Swiped and paralyzed, it resisted 1 Quick Ball, 1 Timer Ball, 2 Premier Balls and 49 Ultra Balls. Yeah. Tried again and got it after 29 Ultra Balls. Modest too :3. Raikou is Mild, which isn't ideal but it could be useful as a Mixed Sweeper and Raikou is Docile, which is neutral, so they're all going over to Platinum to be EV trained soon =]. Just used them all in a Pokéthlon too, couldn't resist :P

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • After the dogs fled the tower, I went to train my pokemon and as soon as I stepped in the grass Raikou showed up. Didn't think to use the fast ball, just attacked.

Years
  • Catching Raikou and Entei

I was looking around for strategies on how to catch these two, and it was taking me forever. I had a pokemon with "Mean Look," but it wasn't the same one that had "False Swipe" or any of the "Spore" moves. So I could trap them for a turn, but then they would use "Roar" and end the battle anyway.

Then I had a moment of inspiration.

I sent out my Toys R Us Arceus and caught them with Level Balls. There is a difference of 60 levels, so the catch rate skyrocketed. What strategies did you guys use?

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I was looking around for strategies on how to catch these two, and it was taking me forever. I had a pokemon with "Mean Look," but it wasn't the same one that had "False Swipe" or any of the "Spore" moves. So I could trap them for a turn, but then they would use "Roar" and end the battle anyway.

Then I had a moment of inspiration.

I sent out my Toys R Us Arceus and caught them with Level Balls. There is a difference of 60 levels, so the catch rate skyrocketed. What strategies did you guys use?

OMG that was such an obvious strategy and I didn't think of it. I've just been throwing fast balls at them while they on low hp and it ain't working.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jun 5, 2010
    Use the fast balls that you make with the white apricorns!!

Cheyanne

I have Yusei Fudo's Zorua.
    Years
  • I used my Master ball with Entei because I love him <3 And I used an Arena trap Digglet with Raikou...he took forever U.U

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    And I used an Arena trap Digglet with Raikou...he took forever U.U

That's a good strategy to use with the Timer Balls.

I used Master Balls (the one given by Elm and one I won off the Pokemon Lottery). Shameful, but Lugia and Ho-Oh don't run.

HypnoZ

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I didn't catch them yet but i will use or the arceus strategy or the digglet strategy o.o didn't thought about it :o

Matzzz

Danger!
    Years
  • i just chucked a master ball, much much easier, i started again and traded over my masterball so im now at the light house with a raikou ^^

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Merging your thread with an already made thread on catching Raikou and Entei. You can discuss both strategies and Pokéballs used to capture the two escaping Legendary Beasts here.

I encountered Entei twice, once yesterday and again the day before. I tried using a Quick Ball or was it a Fast Ball? Anyway, the first time it shook twice, but Entei broke free and escaped. The second try, I did the same technique, but this time it wasn't as successful. I'm really not ready to capture them as yet, but when I am I have a strategy planned with Mean Look, False Swipes, and Hypnosis [Gengar, Scyther, Poliwhirl]. We'll see how well it works out though when I actually try it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    It won't work - as soon as you switch out a Pokemon that has used Mean Look, the Mean Look breaks and they bolt for it. Or at least it was like that when I last tried that tactic - in Generation II :P

chillxd

メインモシ
    Years
  • Okay here's a lil strategy for sure catch ;)

What you need:

- A Haunter/Gengar (in my case, Boo) that knows Shadow Ball (TM from Morty), Mean Look and Hypnosis. (I only had Haunter.)
    - A Scyther with False Swipe. (Both my Haunter and Scyther were at 34, I did this right after I beat Jasmine.)
    - Lotsa Poke/Great/Ultra Balls and Repels.

Okay so I stood between routes 37 and 36, which is right below Ecruteak, and east of National Park. (You should know that that's the right spot if you're beside a Trainer Tips sign that explained about the move Dig.) Then I put Boo first in my party. Time to track down the beasts! So go down to route 36, check the Pokégear. If any of them are not beside Nat'l Park, go up to route 37, then check the Pokegear. So how do you know if you're on the same route as them? Your character's icon has a black border, so if you see in your Pokegear that there's some white around your icon, one of them is probably there.

Note: In route 37, the patch of grass where they appear is the one below the 3 Apricorn Trees. In route 36, the patch of grass where they appear is the one right beside School Kid Alan. If you don't know where that is, from Sudowoodo's spot, go down then left. :P

When on the same route, use a Repel then go on grass. You'll probably encounter only Raikou or Entei with repels on. I used Mean Look to trap them, then Hypnosis for sleep. Then I spammed Shadow Ball, around 3 times, until they're in the red zone. I tried throwing some Pokeballs while it's asleep, but when it woke up, my Boo always got knocked out. So I sent out Scyther, and used False Swipe before it ran. I did this for the two of them, that leaves them both with 1 HP.

Then I kept tracking them between routes 37 and 36, then when I saw them with 1 HP, I used Mean Look, Hypnosis. Then spammed balls.

So this strategy was so effective for me, I caught both of them within an hour.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I've caught Entei in a Masterball, and I'm taking on Raikou with my Slowking. (lv.39 + Impish nature proves that you always outspeed:P).

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • Lucky.

I caught my Run away Raikou with a Pokeball, while on full health, before I had done the 3rd Gym. I just chucked what I had (only Pokeballs) and it rolled once - ok... - twice - what? - three times - OMG - click - WTF?!?

Wasted none on it either. Just first one. However, I still had problems with Whitney, because there was no point using it (wouldn't obey me). Also, what colour apricorns make level balls? I really want some.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Lucky.

I caught my Run away Raikou with a Pokeball, while on full health, before I had done the 3rd Gym. I just chucked what I had (only Pokeballs) and it rolled once - ok... - twice - what? - three times - OMG - click - WTF?!?

Wasted none on it either. Just first one. However, I still had problems with Whitney, because there was no point using it (wouldn't obey me). Also, what colour apricorns make level balls? I really want some.

Raikou can only be caught after you release it in Ecruteak, which is impossible to get to unless you've already beaten Whitney. And Pokemon always listen to you if it is your own Pokemon; it's only traded ones that "don't obey". Clearly, there's something fishy about what you just said. :/

Unless of course I'm missing something..?

Back