• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

REAL Punk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvdisc_old

vs Cleffa
    Years
    jasonresno said:
    You are wrong, nothing to it.

Just a word of advice:

Don't go around telling people they are wrong about Green Day when we've provided nothing but facts on why they are not a punk band. And all you can do is say "i want more. you are wrong." You've yet to prove us other-wise. :P

'Kay? Thanks. ;D

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    You guys have provided NOTHING. At all, you have yet to post anything conclusive. All you've posted is hearsay and opinions. We've posted articles, cited sites etc. :) Thanks hon.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Look, people are obviously not going to agree on this, mainly because of people's different interpretations of punk, so it's not a case of simply telling people Green Day is/isn't punk. It's down to people's opinions, which both sides have provided (even the articles woul have to have been written by a human, therefore open to some bias).

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    Thank you Mr Cat Dog.
    I think this thread won't be settled, and can't be settled. and will only cause flames (as my reps can now see)

deathbyalice

Linden
    Years
    Alright then, I agree with you that this could be bad, so I would like to request a lock on the thread.

My god, I've been asking you guys to close my threads a lot these days...

Pounce

renai kakumei
    Years
    I don't even listen to that much "punk" (I listened to a lot of anti-flag a while back, but that was about it) but I don't see what the big deal about music labels is. so someone likes avril or good charlotte? big deal. they can call it whatever they want, but music shouldn't be defined by the "label" it falls under. I hate when everybody freaks out about what "true punk" music is. it doesn't matter nearly as much as everyone thinks it does. people just want to establish their musical dominance with a holier-than-thou attitude and sense of elitism, so they pretend their musical tastes are better than other peoples'. whatever.. music is music, just listen to what you like and don't get all hung up about what category it's in.

Metallika

*hums*HUH?..oh..Pwetty...
    Years
    Punk? Ok, I FINALLY can speak of the issues im having. Does ANYONE here like Avril? If you do, too bad! Avril is WANNABE! She showed what wannabe she is in the video of My Happy Ending! Now, you want Punk? Read the bottom of the Siggy, AND GET IT IN YOUR THICK SKULLS! I like green day, It is NOT punk, It is PUNK AND ALTERNATIVE! Its HALF punk! Depending on the song. You CANNOT label an artist by ONE song, but by the label of the majority of their songs. I dont wanna offend anyone, YES I LOVE GREEN DAY, and yes IT IS ALSO PUNK! thats why I have it in my Sig. BUT ITS NOT ONLY PUNK! Other songs sortof have a more Rock or alternative Theme. but again, ITS NOT POP! (ewwwwwwwww)

FireEmporer

I win. You lose.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 3, 2006
    Who cares if Green day is Punk, Pop, alternative, Country, or rock? (Obviously some people) If you like a certain band, you like it. I don't care if you love Spice girls, and call them Punk, or love Avril lavin ( I dunno how to spell it >.<) and call her a country singer. If they have good music, then it shouldn't matter if they are Punk, pop, opera, country, rock, or anything! It's just stupid to say "I only like *Insert kind of music here* And only that!"

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    "Real" punk? I hate people who make distinctions about what's punk and what's not. It's not what other people think is punk, it's what you believe is punk. I'll take my favourite example, Good Charlotte. They've been described as "pop-punk's poster boys" and "un-punk", but I don't really care what people say about them. In my opinion, they're punk enough, and that's good enough for me.

The main thing I have to say is this: respect. Even if you don't consider a band to be punk, you still have to respect them for how hard they've worked. They may call themselves punk, you might not agree with the label, but still it doesn't matter, because it's not about you. It's about music. It's about life. I'm starting a punk music club at university this year, and the only rule I'm going to put in is that one about respect, because without respect you've got nothing.

That said, I listen to a cross-section of punk-type music: punk, punk rock, pop-punk, emo, hardcore, emocore, metalcore, both commercial and alternative.

^^NICK^^ v.3.0

Original Nick
    Years
    *first post in a long time*

I agree. I don't understand the new obsession with these bands in this signatures. If you like these bands, alright, but what is the point in trying to prove their genre. If they're punk, they're punk, and if not, too bad. If you like their music, great for you, but other people don't care if they're punk, and these signature stunts make all of you sound like you're desperately trying to prove something, and it makes you sound unsure, or nervous that people don't think the way you do. Everyone around here makes Greenday so **** annoying! They're not that great, and most of you are new fans, and they're newer songs are so annoying, so nobody cares if you're a Greenday fan or not, gosh. And I also think they're more alternative. That's my opinion, bye.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    If someone has the right to say they aren't punk, than the real fans have the right to say they are. I'm pretty sure green day was punk before most of the kids on this board were born..

^^NICK^^ v.3.0

Original Nick
    Years
    Maybe, but since then, they've had to conform to a broader audience, makign them more annoying in my eyes, but that's just me. And I think the songs I've heard from earlier in their career sound more alternative than they do today, but it's your opinion if you think they're punk, and opinions are the best thing since sliced bread!

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Oct 15, 2012
    um... as an outside source (one who doesn't like punk so much) i'll tell you that green day is actually not punk. they are pop-punk which is not punk. punk sticks it to the system, gets really mad, and is really simple yet fast. green day uses pop vocals, their music is structured in the way pop songs are, and the recent ones are sooo touched up that nobody can say that they are punk and tell the truth. real punk does not get glossed and spiffed up. real punk does not win grammys.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    before anyone else makes a fool of themself: deathbyalice REQUESTED THIS THREAD BE CLOSED. erkedererkeder

Green Day is the best thing to happen to punk since the Ramones, Sex Pistols, etc.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Oct 15, 2012
    somebody gave me negative rep too. what an idiot. "if you dont like punk you dont know punk" that is sooo stupid. i've heard more punk than a lot of people. that makes me really mad. i come in and try to subdue things by offering an outside viewpoint based on facts and i get negative rep by some moron n00b... k'mon guys, that's really not necessary.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    i hate it when people leave random reps. and ive gotten quite a few.
    just one last thing: i cant believe you guys hate a band so much you try to change what they are to fit your beliefs.

So far the definition of punk is:
    1)anti government (recently questioned, billie joe answered he would choke Bush if he had the chance.
    2)The songs aren't high quality? Touch up? That is just a retarded point.
    3)that they are MTV? Pshah, getting your music to the masses isn't a bad thing. moot point
    4)Childhood? A punk is someone who grows up living the lifestyle, green day fits there.
    5)And have you guys heard the Ramones, sex pistols, clash, etc? they are alt/poppunk if so more than greenday.

Lets end this call, end this conversation.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Oct 15, 2012
    no, first things first, don't use retarded as a diss, it's against the rules.
    not all punk is anti-government, there are anti-government groups in many, many genres.
    greenday is not standard punk, they are a subdivision of it. they are punk, however they are not REAL Punk.
    i like greenday's older music a lot. it's really good. however, it is pop-punk. there is nothing wrong with pop-punk.
    greenday's "living the lifestyle" is what? billie joe being so done up on drugs on the streets of berkeley that his head inflated? (no exageration)
    and the ramones, sex pistols and clash are the roots of punk. at the time, they were the definition of punk. punk has evolved like all music and the current definition of punk is bands like anti-flag who: don't wear make up, make/release their own music/don't care what people think of their music (greenday's newer sound is evidence that they have conformed to the mainstream and punk is not mainstream, it is rebellious)
    you say that they grew up punk, i guess if you can say being messed up with drugs is punk, then that's a fair statement, but now they aren't on the streets. they're flippin' rich. punk sticks it to the rich. green day is good, when we say they aren't punk, it's not an insult.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back