• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Recommendation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Need help deciding which game or console to purchase? Post your questions here! Think you can help someone choose a good game? That goes here, too!

You may discuss others' recommendations but do not bash a game someone else recommended in the thread. If you feel strongly that someone should not purchase a game, you may PM them about it.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
    I want to have game of infinte replay value for my DSlite (I hope to get a 3DS, so inculde those games)...
    I'd REALLY like recommedations...

Here's a list to explian exactly what I want in a game:
    (I know I've misspelled some stuff, but I hope all y'all know what I mean anyways...)

Fighting & Racing games are good choices, as long as the difficulty is adjustable to being easy to VERY hard & in between. From what my cousin told me, fighting is the WORSE genre for the DS... but I'm hoping that someone here knows of at least 1 good fighting game...

NOT Clay Fighters! I'd never enjoy it fully because of how ugly they make the charaters look!

& My cousin told me that Street Fighter 4 for the PS3 & Xbox 360 have poor controls, that it was harder than it should be to use special moves... but I'm hoping the 3DS version will have better controls, so could someone up-date me on it when possible?

& my cousin told me about a game called Track Mania, I think... he says it's awesome since you get to make your own tracks & I don't remember if he said anything about how hard it is... I hoping that it's harder than Mario kart DS... (take that off the list of games I want!)

I belive we all know that we will NEVER stop finding stuff to try on pokemon, but I already have some of those games & plan to get White version.

But there one other RPG I have interest in: Dragon Quest (don't remember the number): Sentenils of the starry skies.
    I wonder if this game will encourage the same kind of expermentation we see on pokemon, in trying differnt classes, weapons & armory? I know it has something about randomly generated dungeon, that you can save to share with friends... & the multiplayer apect looks very interesting too...

& are there any other mystery dungeon that are good? The ones I heard about so far, (Shinen the Wanderer & Izuna) they say that they are very hard... but are they hard in a enjoyable way, or should I stick to Pokemon mystery dungeon? & is there a different mystery dungeon game you guys would recommed? & what other RPG would you guys recommend for replay value? (avoid stuff like Fire Emblem & Shining Force, because I have a non-enjoyable hard time of trying to pick who to add to my army...)

I'd LOVE to find an action/platformer that has infinte replay value somehow... for this, I have my eyes on Kingdom Hearts Re:coded...
    In my Nintendo power magazine, it says that you can play levels all over again... but I wonder if I'll still find doing them a challenge...

I plan to get the Megaman Zero collection, because I've played the games & know that you get to play though the story again with everything you gotten so far. I know it'll have a easy mode added, but will they add a mode for super players, should I get that good? any other action/platformer you guys would recommed for replay value?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I haven't actually played any dragon quest games but they have a pretty good rep, generally. Pity you said not to suggest stuff like Fire Emblem though =p (but hey, if you have trouble choosing people, try different playthroughs with different characters!).

The World Ends With You has a fair bit in it - you can spend a lot of time trying to 100% it, certainly, and it is very enjoyable as well (you can also make it as easy or as challenging as you want, interestingly enough).

FF Crystal Chronicles: Echos of Time also has a decent amount of the replay-factor (and quite fun with multiple people as well over local/nintendo wifi).

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
    Yeah, as far as near infinite playability goes, Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies has excellent replay value.
    It has a bit of a slow start (it takes awhile before you can change classes, but the story will keep you entertained up to that point). Overall it's a HUGE game. I have about 120+ some hours of playtime on it and still haven't finished it, mainly because I've been training and doing quests/alchemy recipes nonstop.

Animal Crossing is another game that goes on forever. Although I didn't enjoy it as much as the console games, it does server it's purpose of keeping you entertaining as the calender flows.

Fighting/Racing games with infinite replay value are a bit hard to find. Although I've beaten the crap out of it, I still play Mario Kart DS regularly, so I would recommend that.

One more action game for the DS that received some of the best ratings out of any game released for the DS is Grand Theft Auto: China Town Wars. I've never played it, but everyone raves about how fun it is.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
    @ bobandbill: Actually, I do have Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, but I've never thought of doing that until you said something for some odd reason...

about The World Ends With You, would it be fun after I 100% it?

& I'll look further into Echoes of time.

@ Cello: Cool! I'll try to get Dragon Quest IX!

I dunno about Animal Crossing... I've heard someone say playing it sometimes feel more like doing chores...

& I've already said to take Mario Kart DS off the list... I have it & it's WAY too easy, even on the hardest difficulty.

& I'll look into Grand Theft Auto: China Town Wars.

Thank you both for your help!
    & I'll welcome further recommdations!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    If you're still looking for a good DS game, New Super Mario Bros. DS would probably be great. I don't own it myself, but I've played it and it's tons of fun, even though I'm not good at it. Mario games have a lot of replay value for me. That's not to say they might have that for you, but you know, I just strongly recommend it. Mario is just a platforming masterpiece. ;)

While I'm here, anyone have any recommendations for a 360 game? I like shooters, as long as they're not scaring the pants off me. I don't mind gore and stuff, it's just that I hate creepy music and places that have too much of a weird atmosphere. Not really hate it, it just prevents me from playing a game for a long time, which I dislike. I want something that will keep me playing for a while. I also like RPGs and wouldn't mind some recommendations there. Luck if you're reading this, I already asked for Nier, so don't recommend that.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
    @Sydian
    Have you given the Mass Effect series a try? It's a RPG/Shooter series, a really epic one at that. Galaxies to explore, awesome characters; very Star Wars-esque.
    Borderlands is good too. Personally one of my favorite shooters, because the controls and weapon system are both awesome.

Now as for my request:
    I need a new MMO to play!
    I will play anything, really. Whether it's an anime-style MMO or Western. Things I look for:
    -Big World
    -Awesome quest system
    -Popular
    -Character Customization
    -Well-Balanced
    -Weapon/armor forging, large weapon/armor arsenal (optional)

I haven't played WoW, but i'm kind of iffy about starting an MMO that has a massive amount of stuff to learn without knowing a single bit of info on the game...

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    I would have no idea what MMOs you would like Cello, but have you ever tried out Flyff? It's pretty good from what I've seen and is free. I'd look up some more reviews on it as well.

Now for me. I have suspicions that I will be getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas, and would like to hear some recommendations about possible games for it, whether they be Arcade or not. I like shooters and all that jazz, but I would really like some recommendations that combine strategy as well, such as Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas. It'd be better if it had an enjoyable simgle-player mode as well as good online play.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    I would have no idea what MMOs you would like Cello, but have you ever tried out Flyff? It's pretty good from what I've seen and is free. I'd look up some more reviews on it as well.

Now for me. I have suspicions that I will be getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas, and would like to hear some recommendations about possible games for it, whether they be Arcade or not. I like shooters and all that jazz, but I would really like some recommendations that combine strategy as well, such as Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas. It'd be better if it had an enjoyable simgle-player mode as well as good online play.
    Obviously somebody is going to say: OMG GETZ DA HALOZ, and for a good reason. All of the Halo games have excellent gameplay, and the sci-fi setting(for me anyway)adds just that much more to the games.

I would also recommend either Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas. Both of them are unbelievably long and fun games. There is so much to explore, so many items to get, ect. ect. People say New Vegas has a ton of bugs, but I haven't really noticed many of them myself. Either one would be a great addition, it just depends on what you want. I prefer New Vegas myself, the storytelling just seems like it's on a higher level than Fallout 3, and it just has a better overall feel to it. There is also the price point, the GotY version of Fallout 3 is $40, and New Vegas is still $60.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years

Fallout 3/New Vegas, BioShock (1 has better SP, 2 has MP), other Tom Clancy games, Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Also, I heard the Medal of Honor games have some strategy involved, not sure if they're on 360. Left 4 Dead 1/2 and Team Fortress 2 have strategy and great multiplayer, but those games REALLY play better on the PC.

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
    Years
    @Cello: Ever heard of MapleStory? I used to play it years ago, and it's definitely an interesting switch on MMO's. It's 2D and has you directly controlling the character rather than using the mouse to click for everything. From what I've heard from people, it's still as popular as ever.

It sounds a bit odd on paper, but I mean, it has everything an MMORPG should have, it's fun, works well, has an extensive fanbase, etc.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    I play one called battle of the Immortals It is very good but recently it has become very cash shop heavy.

Medal of honour is a very good multiplayer game although since Black ops came out it is dieing.

as for RPG cames on DS Golden Sun dark dawn just came out and the game is amazing. Reminds me of the 2 originals on the GBA and It is just as good as them. Good story and lots to do. Drgon Quest IX was a let down to me. I got it and barely played it I found it a lot less interesting than others I had played.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
    If you're still looking for a good DS game, New Super Mario Bros. DS would probably be great. I don't own it myself, but I've played it and it's tons of fun, even though I'm not good at it. Mario games have a lot of replay value for me. That's not to say they might have that for you, but you know, I just strongly recommend it. Mario is just a platforming masterpiece. ;)

While I'm here, anyone have any recommendations for a 360 game? I like shooters, as long as they're not scaring the pants off me. I don't mind gore and stuff, it's just that I hate creepy music and places that have too much of a weird atmosphere. Not really hate it, it just prevents me from playing a game for a long time, which I dislike. I want something that will keep me playing for a while. I also like RPGs and wouldn't mind some recommendations there. Luck if you're reading this, I already asked for Nier, so don't recommend that.

I used to have that game... maybe I'll get it again... although I wish I could get Super Mario Bros.3 on the DS...

For the Xbox 360, What about Halo Reach? I play that game with my cousin when I get the chance... & I feel the same way you do about creepy games... So yeah, Halo Reach is great!

(By the way, my cousin goes by MadMonkey96. befriend him if you get the game!)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I used to have that game... maybe I'll get it again... although I wish I could get Super Mario Bros.3 on the DS...

Not for the DS per se, but they did port that game to GBA. So if you still have that DS Lite, you might can find a copy of this game somewhere in GameStop (used of course) or any other places.

For the Xbox 360, What about Halo Reach? I play that game with my cousin when I get the chance... & I feel the same way you do about creepy games... So yeah, Halo Reach is great!

(By the way, my cousin goes by MadMonkey96. befriend him if you get the game!)

I used to like Halo, but the fanboys kind of killed the game for me. :( Thanks for the suggestion though!

Years
    With the new Team Ico game coming out, I highly recommend everyone to grab at least 'Shadow of the Colossus' for the PS2.

It is an amazing game and everyone should play it at some point.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I am a bit puzzled whether to get a DSi or wait till the 3DS is out. My old DS is dying, some pixels have blown and need to know whether to get a DSi now or wait till the 3DS, I dont know which will be worth getting. Unfortunately the two are region locked so that means I cannot purchase form the US anymore :/

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I am a bit puzzled whether to get a DSi or wait till the 3DS is out. My old DS is dying, some pixels have blown and need to know whether to get a DSi now or wait till the 3DS, I dont know which will be worth getting. Unfortunately the two are region locked so that means I cannot purchase form the US anymore :/

That's a tough one. :/ Have you completely ruled out the idea of getting a Lite? Cause I'd really recommend it. It's not region locked at all, and by the time the 3DS hits the stores, you should have enough to get that as well, and it's essentially gunna do the same things as the DSi. And if you already have games not from your region for the DS, you wouldn't be able to play them on a DSi or 3DS since they're region locked, so that's even more reason to go for a Lite. Plus it's cheaper.

But if a Lite is out of the question, then I'd just wait til the 3DS if I were you.

Years
    Have you completely ruled out the idea of getting a Lite? Cause I'd really recommend it. It's not region locked at all, and by the time the 3DS hits the stores, you should have enough to get that as well

Also, most game stores do offers where you can trade in your old console for money off the newer one you are buying.

If you REALLY can't wait, I would go for the lite like my good buddy Sydian said.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    Hmm yeah I think I might trade in my old DS Lite for a new DS Lite then, and wait till the 3DS. I dont really know what to expect with the 3DS actually, I hope it is as 3D as it sounds :D

Thanks for the suggestions guys, sorry I took so long to get back to you.

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
    Years
    Does anyone recommend I buy a hardcase cover for my new DS Lite? I plan to carry it around constantly in my jeans pocket and especially after hearing stories of the DS Lite being less durable, I wonder if I should take extra measure to ensure it lasts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back