• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Red - Overhyped?

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2011
    I was pumped to face off against Red! I had heard that he was mega-tough, so I used my best Pokemon...the same Pokemon I used the rest of the time. They were all at an even lv.55 each.

"..." Epic, I thought, even the place where he awaited me was daunting.

Red sent out his Pikachu. The legendary Pikachu that had caused so many people trouble. I saw the level. 88. FFFFF- There was no way I could do this! BUT! There wasn't a point in not trying. I brought out my Espeon, which had Choice Specs on it. Okay then...

I used Psychic. It OHKO'd the Pikachu, but it had been a critical hit, so maybe it was no more than a mere fluke.
    I comes the Lapras. I followed with another Psychic, seeing as the Specs wouldn't let me use anything else. It OHKO'd it again. I gawked, slightly embarrassed. I got decadant here, it wasn't the most professional of wins, but oh well. Out came the Snorlax. OH SNAP. It dealt about 45% worth of damage. I gulped as the Snorlax commenced to Giga Impact my Espeon. Being 30+ levels lower than the Snorlax, of course, it was a OHKO. I swore at myself for being so careless, but also couldn't help but smile. I brought in my Lucario & used the turn of Cooldown to Substitute before letting loose a Focus Punch, which wiped out the Snorlax.
    Red brought out his Venusaur. I decided it was best to bring my Typhlosion out. I let out a flamethrower instantly, outspeeding the oversized tree & again OHKO'd it. This was really embarrassing now. I finally changed to my faithful Jolteon & smoked both Charizard & Blastoise.
    ~~~
    As you may have guessed, I completed that with ease. All of my Pokemon were bred to be fast & powerful...but, lv.55s OHing lv.80+s?

Am I the only one who was embarrassed by this battle?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Not really. I think that this applies to those who EV trained their Pokemon. I went up against Red with my in-game EV trained team and it was still a bit of a challenge even if I managed to beat him.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • Lucky win? O.o To me it seems like the battle wasnt as much of a challenge as it was in the original games. I was about 10 levels from his weakest pokemon and still beat him with limited items.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I suppose if you compare your battling skill from the days you played GSC to now, you would know a fair bit more about how to take on trainers personally. That's likely a factor for many people, imo.

I suggest trying him with a mid-50s level team that weren't bred specially or EV'd trained and all of them grass types, he's more of a challenge then. =p

Ryden

Friendly Lurker
    Years
  • I suppose if you compare your battling skill from the days you played GSC to now, you would know a fair bit more about how to take on trainers personally. That's likely a factor for many people, imo.

I suggest trying him with a mid-50s level team that weren't bred specially or EV'd trained and all of them grass types, he's more of a challenge then. =p
    That is my thoughts as well and I feel too many people do not take this into consideration when they go to face Red. Not to mention gen VI revamp how attacks worked breaking them into physical Special and Effect, this put some Pokemon at more of advantage and others at a disadvantage.

Zhinc

a Dark-type trainer
    Years
  • Um. I think it has something to do with the fact that you EV-trained your team. My team just had whatever EV's they got from playing through the game, so they were spread out all over the place. But it wasn't too terrible for me, even...just annoying when a non-super effective move would OHKO a Pokemon at full health, which happened several times, if I recall correctly. =/

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
    Years
  • I have two words for Red after facing him in HG/SS "Epic Fail." He was way tougher in the first games but I guess that's because you have way more Pokemon to choose from now than you had at first. He definitely lived up to his reputation in G/S/C though.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2011
    Lucky win? O.o To me it seems like the battle wasnt as much of a challenge as it was in the original games. I was about 10 levels from his weakest pokemon and still beat him with limited items.

I honestly thought he was much easier in the original.

TheDeadpool

My common sense is tingling!
    Years
  • i really didnt think i was ready with a team of all 70s. and i was wrong. :] not too hard with type advantages over his pokemon.

Dragonite's Wrath

Dragons are my Heart and Soul
    Years
  • Red

Well, the kid didn't even have the smarts to use a Thunderstone AND he has three Pokemon weak to Electric attacks.

Frankly, I wasn't expecting much out of him. And he certainly lived up to my low expectations.

I dont think Red needs the smarts to use a stone on Pikachu. One Volt Tackle took down my Dragonite with out critical hit. Granted, Dragonite's DEF is only 131, but still dont Pikachu have low ATK? Or does Red have a super special Pikachu with all stats getting a nature boost? And why did they move him from a dark cave, staring at the wall, to the top of Mt.Silver where you interupt his sightseeing, gets mad and sends his Super Pikachu out to attack.

Folkedahl

Wizard
    Years
  • I wiped him out on original Silver with just my level 77 Dragonite. Granted that Dragonite is still way OP, but I OHKO'd everything but his snorlax. I took maybe 70 Damage the whole battle. :/

psychomew2

Rank 1: Otsdarva
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2014
    I was kinda expecting him to be hard if for no other reason because he was insanely overleveled. In addition, i dont ev train my in game team and all of my pokemon were only in their early 60's in levels. even so, i got through on the first try. so yeah, i guess i would say he is a tad overhyped.

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    I dont think Red needs the smarts to use a stone on Pikachu. One Volt Tackle took down my Dragonite with out critical hit. Granted, Dragonite's DEF is only 131, but still dont Pikachu have low ATK? Or does Red have a super special Pikachu with all stats getting a nature boost? And why did they move him from a dark cave, staring at the wall, to the top of Mt.Silver where you interupt his sightseeing, gets mad and sends his Super Pikachu out to attack.

His Pikachu has a Light Ball now, which doubles its attack, so if you aren't faster than it and/or a ground type, chances are you're gonna get hit pretty hard with a volt tackle.
    My Pokemen are all Lv71~75 and they still get butthurt by Red.

And I think someone mentioned that all his Pokemon have an IV of 31 for every stat like Cynthia in D/P/PT? I'm not sure about that one.

BonzaiMudkip

Senior Trainer
    Years
  • I was able to take out Red with my team, which at least tries to be at the same level or 2 levels higher than his pokemon, but even then his pikachu was still a pain in the keister to fight. One volt tackle left my ampharos on the red (damn critical hit), its just a good thing that pikachu is a glass cannon and not haxed (1 signal beam from my ampharos took out pikachu in 1 hit)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Red isn't all that hard to beat. But they couldn't make him impossible because you need to beat him to get HM08.
    I thought you needed HM08 to get to Red?

But they didn't make him 'too hard' to beat given it is a game that has its primary audience being children. Besdies if you want a harder challenge that's what the Battle Frontier is for =p

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    Red is much harder to defeat because you must load yourself up with useless HMs to get to him

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    @Patjamma: Really? I think I only needed Rock Climb if I recall correctly ^^

Try Red with a Monotype team! I had a hard time with my Ground team (Quagsire, Nidoking, Rhydon and Mamoswine) but it made the victory that much sweeter :)

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
  • I beat him with sixties, and two revives and one or two potions. I did expect to take multiple tries tho... he lost his power from the originals.

Back