• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red pressed A+B+Down!

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Red pressed A+B+Down!

Very simple questions, I'll add my own stuff after a post or two ten. How much stock do you put in things like buttons improving your chances of catching a Pokemon? Do you do it? Have any stories about this kind of thing?

Last edited:

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    I know it doesn't help, now, but I am so used to doing it that I still do it. I have no stories, because I always did it, really. Nothing too spectacular with mine, unfortunately.

(I caught a Suicune on HGSS with five Ultra Balls, but that's not that hard, is it?)

Asgard

Why you little...
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    I dunno about pressing buttons. Everyone tells me different things D: UP+B NO LEFTRIGHTLR NO DOWN+A NO KONAMICODE NO EVERY SINGLE BUTTON /EVER/

I've always just like looked away and pretend I forgot about it though. A watched pot never boils~ :'D

Theodore Bruno

ADORABLOODTHIRSTY
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2011
    No, you're doing it wrong, Red! It's 540 degree rotation of the D-Pad in clockwise movement starting at Up. THEN you hit A+B once you hit Down.

This is a habit. It doesn't help me at all, but I just can't stop myself from doing it.

.Vaati

=^____^=
    Years
    When I was young I would press the B button as many times as I could when trying to catch a Pokemon in Silver version.

But after I found out that pressing buttons had no effect and whether I caught a Pokemon or not was decided the moment I throw the PokeBall by a mathematical equation I stopped.

Last edited:

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    For me, I simply held "A". I still do it to this day, out of habit (and luck, I guess).

Coin

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2010
    I've never mashed any buttons or anything.
    Everyone said it helped, but... How would that even be possible? o-o''

Theodore Bruno

ADORABLOODTHIRSTY
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2011
    I've never mashed any buttons or anything.
    Everyone said it helped, but... How would that even be possible? o-o''
    Keep in mind this is the same game where ridiculous rumors came from. Like Mew being under a truck. But then again, most of us were children who were naive. PLUS! How could we not believe those rumors when the game also had a glitch were you get infinite items from fighting a blocky abomination, and to fight this demon you had to talk to the man who teaches how to catch Pokemon. I think it goes without saying that if that story was true then anything in the game could be possible.

Coin

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2010
    Yeah.
    You make a good point there.

Anything can happen in the world of Pokemon. LOL

Bug Maniac

Jolteon Master
    Years
    I used to try some sort of pressing button thing to catch pokemon i thought it worked on LG when i cought Zapdos first try with ultra ball but it was only luck cuz my bro turned off the Game Cube before i saved the game and had to catch Zapdos again it made me so angry.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Keep in mind this is the same game where ridiculous rumors came from. Like Mew being under a truck. But then again, most of us were children who were naive. PLUS! How could we not believe those rumors when the game also had a glitch were you get infinite items from fighting a blocky abomination, and to fight this demon you had to talk to the man who teaches how to catch Pokemon. I think it goes without saying that if that story was true then anything in the game could be possible.

Yes, but that has a logical part...once you learn how the game works ten years later. Far enough, I guess. xD

I naturally hold/tap A.

But that's because I do it to speed through text.

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
    hahaha!! i remember doing this. I tried all sorts of things that people did, and then started experimenting on my own. I remember vsing some legendary and did the soft reset keys.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I still mash A out of habit. :P

When I was a kid, I had heard that Up+B would turn any Great Ball into a Master Ball, so I was stuck on that for awhile. XD

Years
    I always did the hold A and rock the D-Pad left and right in time with the Pokéball shaking thing as a kid, took me ages to break out of the habit but I forced myself to do it. Nowadays I just leave it and hope. I do have a habit of switching to a higher leveled 'mon if things aren't going my way though, granted this does work with nest balls but AFAIK it doesn't have an effect on other balls, but I like to try and 'scare' the 'mon into staying in the ball so he doesn't get Aura Sphered by a Lv. 100 or something. Silly, I know. :3

perfectmonster

Eggs Are Awesome!
    Years
    I completely mashed the A button until I either jump up and down happily or throw it against the wall in dissapointment and annoyment. :P Its a habit.

Years
    I used to use B+Down myself. And I seemed to think that the harder I pressed it the better it would work :P. I stopped doing it when I got back into Pokémon at the 4th generation and learnt about the mathematical equations behind catch rates :P. This randomness was proved to me recently, when it took me around 5 goes and ~100 Ultra Balls a go to catch Cresselia (with Mean Look, False Swipe and Hypnosis), then Dialga got in the first Ultra Ball using the same strategy (minus Mean Look obviously) on Platinum.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    To this day I still hold B + down. One hell of a habit to break lol.

Back