• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: [Release] AdvanceMap 1.90 / 1.91 /1.92

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2012
    In my honest opinion "noobs" need to do more research before attempting to tackle a project such as this anyway. Rom hacking is a whole other creature from programming. When you combine the two you end up on the wrong end of a monster if you don't know what you're doing.

EDIT:
    I'm speaking from experience here

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
  • In my honest opinion "noobs" need to do more research before attempting to tackle a project such as this anyway. Rom hacking is a whole other creature from programming. When you combine the two you end up on the wrong end of a monster if you don't know what you're doing.

EDIT:
    I'm speaking from experience here

It's so "n00bs" can make quality hacks easily

haack16

MYTHBUSTER!
    Years
  • What is the offset thing in Advance map Connector editor, i had different tiles in two maps and suddenly when i walked in to the map the tilset just completely changed the house became pink. what to do??

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    why not adding a repointer in the worldmap editor in AM, which allows you to repoint the image/raw offsets.

this would be really come in handy when editing or repointing the image/raw many times.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2012
    Can anyone help me with Rock Smash? I've been using the same numbers from another map on custom placed rocks, but I'm getting the Strength option when I click on em. Then I set a different ID for one and got it to equal a PPUP >_> anyone mind just telling me what #s I should put in the boxes? (PKMN EMERALD U)

I don't have A-Map on this computer (Mac) so I can't really tell you what I already have in the boxes atm...

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2012

No, that kind of utility enables laziness if used incorrectly. It is not for noobs, it's for experienced ROM hackers that know what they are doing. I for one am not in the position to be doing ROM hacks yet as I've only been hacking for the past year.

The problem with this is people like YOU Skara, who think this utility is supposed to remove all the difficult work in ROM hacking, it's not. It's meant to enable ROM hackers to create their own maps using a relatively simple interface with out having to reinvent the wheel every time.

Advance Map is designed for maps hence it's name it's not the end all-be all of 3rd gen ROM hacking. It's a utility not a magician. Lu-Ho has a life other than this program, if he/she wishes to add the features suggested it's completely up to them. Demanding features in the way you have is insulting. Especially when you have said yourself that you are not a programmer. Lu-Ho is using Delphi and while it's powerful it has quite a few limitations that need to be worked around.

EDIT:
    @Link229: Have you used the search feature? Maybe someone has asked the same question and has had it answered. Also isn't there a drop down for that kind of thing? If not it shouldn't be too difficult for Lu-Ho to figure out a way to do so efficiently (It depends on how the interactables are stored)

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2012
    @Link229: Have you used the search feature? Maybe someone has asked the same question and has had it answered. Also isn't there a drop down for that kind of thing? If not it shouldn't be too difficult for Lu-Ho to figure out a way to do so efficiently (It depends on how the interactables are stored)

Ya I've been reading through similar topics to no avail. Still away from my PC unfortunately, I'll probably just try to run A-Map via Crossover or buy a new copy of Windows and use Bootcamp.

Edit: Fixed it. I feel a bit stupid, but it was actually because I was using the same event #s as already placed events on the map.

Last edited:

vietazn654

A sound soul dwells within me
    Years
  • Can someone help me? I made a cave and the entrance doesn't work. I try to put the warp where it's supposed to be (by looking at another map), and change the movement permissions but can't get the warp to work. =\

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2012
    Can someone help me? I made a cave and the entrance doesn't work. I try to put the warp where it's supposed to be (by looking at another map), and change the movement permissions but can't get the warp to work. =\

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=127348&page=22

Check post #540 down, I had a similar problem awhile back. If it doesn't work follow my screenshots and then use the fix provided below by LU-HO.

-----------
    @LU-HO, any updates on the next version? Reading awhile back in the topic I heard that this was going to be released to work cross-platform? Really interested about this because this program is one of the only reasons I need to keep using Windows occasionally.

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
  • No, that kind of utility enables laziness if used incorrectly. It is not for noobs, it's for experienced ROM hackers that know what they are doing. I for one am not in the position to be doing ROM hacks yet as I've only been hacking for the past year.

The problem with this is people like YOU Skara, who think this utility is supposed to remove all the difficult work in ROM hacking, it's not. It's meant to enable ROM hackers to create their own maps using a relatively simple interface with out having to reinvent the wheel every time.

Advance Map is designed for maps hence it's name it's not the end all-be all of 3rd gen ROM hacking. It's a utility not a magician. Lu-Ho has a life other than this program, if he/she wishes to add the features suggested it's completely up to them. Demanding features in the way you have is insulting. Especially when you have said yourself that you are not a programmer. Lu-Ho is using Delphi and while it's powerful it has quite a few limitations that need to be worked around.

EDIT:

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
    Years
  • dude, seriously, noobs who can't make "quality hacks" with the tools that are already available are way too lazy, and need to get off their lazy butts and learn!
    stop requesting pretty presents in wrapping paper and bows!

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
  • dude, seriously, noobs who can't make "quality hacks" with the tools that are already available are way too lazy, and need to get off their lazy butts and learn!
    stop requesting pretty presents in wrapping paper and bows!
    I LITERALLY asked for an Event Editor built-in so "n00bs" can make quality hacks easier

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2012
    I LITERALLY asked for an Event Editor built-in so "n00bs" can make quality hacks easier
    Skara: He was saying that "n00bs" need to develop the skills to make a decent hack not make people create training wheels for them. I for one am not going to hold anyone's hand for something as trivial to edit as events (which are IN Advance Map).

First:
    Increase the number of the particular event type you want in the maps header

Second:
    create the script and adjust things as necessary.

Third:
    ???

Fourth:
    Don't profit!

EDIT:
    Just to clarify, I mean trivial from an END USER stand point not a programmer. I'm not privy to all the details of the event system. However Lu-Ho has provided the necessary tools to facilitate the creation of events. Skara is simply being overly picky about HOW events are displayed. (He want's them to be displayed on the map if i read correctly [which by the way they already are! Just click on the button in the toolbar]).

Last edited:

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
    Years
  • thank you. maybe now he'll stfu :D
    @skara - also, if your too lazy to learn things, then maybe you should learn RPGMaker XP/VX ;)

kablamo

Straight from NewZealand
    Years
  • Problem :(

Iv'e got a problem, every time i change the dimensions, either increasing or decreasing, when i try it out it just comes up with a black screen :\ it didn't use to do this but now it does :(

I'm using Firered btw

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2011
    Whenever I click on the link it comes up with this:

Server not found
    Firefox can't find the server at amneu.no-ip.info.

D:

vietazn654

A sound soul dwells within me
    Years
  • Iv'e got a problem, every time i change the dimensions, either increasing or decreasing, when i try it out it just comes up with a black screen :\ it didn't use to do this but now it does :(

I'm using Firered btw
    Are the numbers an even number? Maybe that's why. It has to be even. Well, at least that works for me.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2021
    i have a problem where when i create a new map i try to give it a name and it names itself LITTLEROOT TOWN then if i try to change it to something else it changes the actual LITTLEROOT TOWN'S NAME i know how to use A-map but i can't figure this out im using a Saphhire rom if that's helps it happens on ruby and firered rom's to

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back