• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Remakes or Originals?

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    So which of the two would you choose? The original Red and Blue or the Fire Red and Leaf Green? I'm wanting to get the original games, but if it is too much hassle with trading across games then I will invest in the remakes. What do you think I should do?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2009
    Defanately Fire red and Leaf green. you have the better move sets and graphics. And you Can Explore the Sevii Islands and Catch some Jhoto Pokemon

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    In this case then, I might as well invest in the DS and just play Leaf Green / Fire Red on it. Thanks!

Slave to the Poké-Rave

I bought the Mt.Moon Magikarp
    Years
    You don't need a DS. You could get an SP. I still use it over my DS since it wastes 1 screen on the DS, making it a lot larger for just the single screen.

And Fire red all the way. All the additions from past games and graphics make it so much better.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    The first generation has its own charm in nostalgia and a whole list of fun glitches, but if you'd rather have compatibility with DP (or at least one-way trading), better graphics, the aforementioned more Pokemon/areas to explore, and generally the sorts of things brought in with Ruby/Sapphire (natures, abilities, et cetera), I'd say go with the remakes.

Personal preference, I lean towards the remakes because I get the nostalgia, plus the new stuff and the ability to transfer whatever Pokemon I want to the new games. I still play RBY, but it's mostly to play with glitches at this point.

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    Yeah, the glitches are what I'd play the originals for now, they're a lot of fun to mess around with! The graphics has moved on a lot and I'm glad that we can now see Pokemon like they appear in the cartoon series, which is something I always liked about the newest generations.

But the thing I'm most excited about is the advancement of battles. Now we can fight people online. Pokemon has moved forward as a whole. Long live the classic Pokemon! :D

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I think the remakes.
    The old ones have that great feeling nostalgia to it, but the remakes have so much more.
    There is sevii islands, berries and minigames(venusaur jump rope for example)
    I'm just not up to see three colours on the Overworld yet(?? blue, white and black only??!)
    So its pretty obvious what gets my vote.
    The only bad thing about remakes is that they are remakes.
    They just have better graphics and have extras shoved down their throat.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Well its your opinion.
    Personally, I own both and at the moment I am playing Crystal and about to complete Red for the legendaries.
    If you want to play the classics, get R/B however since you are getting D/P I'd get Fire Red and Leaf Green.

Johnny Jones

Got to get Diamond soon!
    Years
    There's nothing better than playing the old classics that started it all, but I guess most people just want to transfer 'em all so in your case, go for the remakes.

gameshark

CHEAT POWER!!!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2008
    OOOH

Originals all the way! i dont like the new ones..you cant get flying or surfing pikachu onto them!

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    The first generation has its own charm in nostalgia and a whole list of fun glitches, but if you'd rather have compatibility with DP (or at least one-way trading), better graphics, the aforementioned more Pokemon/areas to explore, and generally the sorts of things brought in with Ruby/Sapphire (natures, abilities, et cetera), I'd say go with the remakes.

Personal preference, I lean towards the remakes because I get the nostalgia, plus the new stuff and the ability to transfer whatever Pokemon I want to the new games. I still play RBY, but it's mostly to play with glitches at this point.

I could've typed all that in my own words, but your way of saying it was so much better.

Yeah, as much as I loved the old games, if I had to choose between the remade and the old version, the remade versions would definitely get my vote. More or less for the connectivity and extra features you got with the remakes.

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    Yeah, I'm going to invest in the remakes for the connectivity and also the added bonuses you get when connecting both D/P with FR/LG. I want the newest games but with the old classics too. And I will be showcasing them online too with the online battle. I have to invest in a dongle however for this, since we only have a router on leads in my house.

It should be in the next couple of months that I get a DS. Ohhh I'm excited! :D

Back