• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Remember when there were only 150 pokemon?

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
  • I completely agree with the previous posts Vance has posted. Just because some people on here think " Hey it was so much better with 150 " then try the thousands on Wifi. Lets take Garchomp for example

About 80% of Shoddy users would use Garchomp because of Yecha Berry, Sand Veil and it's huge Movepool. It is commonly used, and oh it's a 4th generation pokemon.

Also like Vance said just because it was " easier " to catch them all in R/B/Y doesn't mean everyone should think 4th Generation sucks for that sole reason. I think by Hoenn maybe they did run out of ideas but does the look of pokemon really matter? NO it doesn't as long as they are pokemon and they continue to make the games then good. Also if everyone thinks the current games now suck then WHY are you on here?

Ok now thats over i am going to grab some Milk xD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    You're made of fail tbh

Indeed. I'm sure you have the evidence to back that up, no?

That's not the arguement, it's that some people would rather have 150 amazing Pokémon and dislike the Hoenn/Sinnoh Pokémon which quite frankly have been surprisingly crappy compared to the original 251 IMO.

Yes, as a matter of fact that is part of the argument. The last "word" of that sentence completely makes the rest of it invalid for the purpose of this debate.

Budew more interesting than a Ditto? You've gotta be kidding me. Some of the new Pokémon are just so incredibly ugly and uninteresting, I'm gonna name a few, of course I don't know the names at the top of my head, so I'm gonna check out serebii:
    Kricketot, Budew, Burmy, Wormadam, Combee, Cherubi, Shellos, Bronzor, Spiritomb
    I mean, come on, I didn't even have to go through the Pokédex to find these ugly 'mon. I could just take some at random and see, they're just horrible.

No proof much? Once again, there is no point to your statement as it is your opinion and nothing more. My point was not that the pokemon now are better than the older ones. I'm saying that saying the older games had better pokemon based on an individuals opinion can not win a debate.

Pokémon Gold and Silver were my favourite games, those games were just incredible. If you havn't noticed, R/S was a pile of... well, suck compared to G/S. It isn't wierd that R/S sold way less than G/S compared to the gain of fandom Pokémon would have gotten those like 4 years between the games?

If you havent noticed, you show no proof. As for selling less, that can be explained by the fact that pokemon was old news by then and had more competition.

Huge evidence that the general Pokémon quality is going waaaay downhill:
    Look at the games legendary trios, first we have the legendary birds: Zapdos, Articuno and Moltres, now, these are pretty darn awesome. Once again, where is your proof? Then we have the legendary beasts of G/S/C, now these are just AMAZING. I personally just love Suicune and Raikou to bits! Because? Then in R/S/E we have.... the regis? What the? First off, they are extremely ugly, secondly: They are not very creative, and... They're just horrible to the first 2 legendary trios. In my opinion they are not ugly. How are the constructs based off of the different ages (ice, stone, and iron) less creative than a bunch of birds and dogs/cats/whatever.

Then, in Diamond/Pearl of course I hoped for a better trio, and we got it... not. The 3 silly apes. Seriously, 3 almost identical looking apes, all psychic. Based off of will power, emotion, and knowledge. Fairly creative compared to ice/water, electric, and fire differentiating species. I don't think I have to say more about this, I dunno which trio is the worst, the regis or the apes, but they both suck supernaturally much. Because, of course, whatever you think must be correct.

And of course we have the other legendaries, I mean come on, what the hell is Heatran, the volcano spider, compared to like Mewtwo? A bipedal cat clone, how ingenious. Or like Palkia compared to Ho-Oh? The being of space compared to another bird, now supposed to represent rainbows. A Silly joke, yeah, you heard me. I would have been okay with more Pokémon post 251 if they didn't make horrible ones. Some of the new Pokémon are awesome, like Milotic, but they are few and far between. Once again, this has nothing to do with actual fact.
    And, last but not least: Piplup is just a blue copy of Torchic, you havn't noticed?

Piplup is much different than torchic. The only thing they have in common is the size of their head compared to their body, and the fact they are birds. However, an emperor penguin is much different than a chicken that takes place in illegal activities. My point, is that your argument is not a very factual one. The pokemon now are just as creative as they were back then.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2008
    Guys, stop trying to force your opinions on to people. If someone thinks RBY is better than DP then let them think that. You have NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to say that they can't have their own opinion.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    I'm guessing you were partially referring to me ^^;

I'm not trying to force my opinion on anyone, I'm just saying that a few of the arguments for "Kanto Jhoto > Hoenn Sinnoh" aren't exactly well thought out or factual. I'm fine with people disagreeing, it's just annoying if they can't give any good reasons for their opinion.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • Just because they use Wifi doesn't mean that they use 4th generation pokemon.

Someone hasn't heard of Garchomp...

Freedom of speech or not, it's pointless to complain about the 4th generation.

This is the internet. Pointless complaining is the basis of all internet arguing.

Some of the fourth gen looks similar because they're new evolutions to old pokemon. Chimpchar and its evolutions are the only ones I could pull off the top of my head that seem blatantly like a recycling of the Torchic family.

Wait what. They're completely different, outside of their typing. One's a monkey, the other is a 10-piece bucket of fried chicken. :|

You're made of fail tbh

Whoah, quite a burn there. Sizzle.

That's not the arguement, it's that some people would rather have 150 amazing Pokémon and dislike the Hoenn/Sinnoh Pokémon which quite frankly have been surprisingly crappy compared to the original 251 IMO.

Wait, if you want 150 amazing Pokemon, wouldn't the latter 251 be crappy?

OH HELL NAW YOU DID NOT JUST GO THERE.

Then in R/S/E we have.... the regis? What the? First off, they are extremely ugly, secondly: They are not very creative, and... They're just horrible to the first 2 legendary trios.

Once again: OH HELL NAW YOU DID NOT JUST GO THERE.

1205552772500.png

Heatran, the volcano spider, compared to like Mewtwo?

You had best not be going there, son.

And, last but not least: Piplup is just a blue copy of Torchic, you havn't noticed?

Isn't Marill just a blue copy of Pikachu?

I think some are unoriginal and suck at life (SPIRITOMB?!?! WTF D:<?!?!?)

Oh hell naw.

The E4 was scary back in the day. Now it's pathetic.

No they weren't. They were just as pathetic back in the day as they are now. You were just a bad enough player back then to think they were tough (which comes with being six. :|).

Honestly, if the next generation doesn't deliver more plot and challenge,

Plot and challenge? Uh, Pokemon never delivered on either of those, even in RBY. :|

Guys, stop trying to force your opinions on to people. If someone thinks RBY is better than DP then let them think that. You have NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to say that they can't have their own opinion.

If someone's opinion is stupid or wrong, I have every right to call them out on it.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • Guys, stop trying to force your opinions on to people. If someone thinks RBY is better than DP then let them think that. You have NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to say that they can't have their own opinion.

We're not saying that. We're arguing and discussing differences. We're not saying "Think like me or die." or anything. A forum is made for this, if everyone agreed to disagree this place would be boring.

About sales, it's not surprising that R/S sold less than G/S. R/S was released in America one year before the DS was released. People had moved on to other interests at that point because of that release.

And as for creativity, it's a common opinion of people, and I think it's just that. A trend. It's "in" to say that the newer pokemon are less creative.

But those pokemon you named. Actually EXPLAIN using LOGIC why Kricketot, Budew, and the gang are less creative than Caterpie, Oddish, etc. Explain to me how Ho-Oh is more creative than Palkia, or how the legendary birds are more creative than the Lake Trio (which are not apes).

My side of it is this. Lugia and Ho-Oh, and Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres, while all pretty cool in my opinion, have next to no significance. First of all, they're all birds. That's not creative. They're all X-type and Flying, which is boring and makes most of them weak in Competitive Battling thanks to Ice attacks and Stone Edge (not that I care about that too much, but plenty others do). But they represent nothing. The new legendaries represent so much more. They're way more significant to the entire storyline of pokemon. What would you prefer over the Regi pokemon? More birds? More dogs? Come on, they changed it up and you're going to say it's LESS creative? It's MORE creative. They thought outside of the box instead of going with the same old thing again.

Point is, the legendaries from R/S and D/P mean way more, and to me that carries WAY more creativity than all the meaningless and boring legendaries of the past.

And don't bring in whether it's ugly or not. That's simple opinion and means nothing. Not to mention I think Registeel, Jirachi, Kyogre, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, and the Lake Trio are way less ugly than Mew, Mewtwo, Entei, Raikou, Lugia, and Ho-Oh.

The only reason people are defending the first two gens this much (mainly the first one) is because it's what they grew up with. This has been established, and just as quickly ignored/denied. But that's all it is. It has nothing to do with logic or reason, it has to do with a stupid bias based on release date and their age.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Ah yes... the original 150.
    I'd like to see them do the Pokerap now days, with all 700-ish of them.
    They named around 30 Pokemon a day, with made for all 150 by the end of the week.
    Now it would take a few weeks worth of Poke-rapping to get them all down. xD

There hasn't been 150 (151*) Pokemon since I was 9 years old.. but it's come so far, and even though I miss the original 150 being mentioned, I don't dislike the new generations. For as much as I care, they could reach 1000 Pokemon, and I still wouldn't really complain. >_> More Pokemon for us to love!

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2015
    I like the 2nd generation because they added breeding..Now that is what changed games...Bagon with Hydro Pump..But really uncreative ones...Bidof...shouldnt of made the game. The ledgendary pokemon are getting kinda out of hand...Ever since G/S there was the 2 reverse ledgendary in every game (Ho-oh and Lugia etc)

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I like the 2nd generation because they added breeding..Now that is what changed games...Bagon with Hydro Pump..But really uncreative ones...Bidof...shouldnt of made the game. The ledgendary pokemon are getting kinda out of hand...Ever since G/S there was the 2 reverse ledgendary in every game (Ho-oh and Lugia etc)

I don't see what's wrong with 2 reverse legendaries, it's sort of like a tradition. Plus, I can understand a lot of legendaries in quite possibly the holiest region in the PokeWorld. Arceus resides there! (or at least he does if you have an AR)

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • Yeah who cares if there's that many legendaries if they all have significance which justifies their existence there? It's all good to me. IMO the legendaries have gotten way better as each generation has passed.

Also, I don't see what's uncreative about Bidoof. He's stupid and annoyingly common, but not uncreative.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I was in second grade and and Im one of the few people who saw the first airing of pokemon on TV in America, I loved it from that day on! and after it got popular I believed every little rumor, like Pikablu and getting togepi in RBY, and Charclizard!

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • I was in second grade and and Im one of the few people who saw the first airing of pokemon on TV in America, I loved it from that day on! and after it got popular I believed every little rumor, like Pikablu and getting togepi in RBY, and Charclizard!

You're not one of few, there's lots of people here older than you who saw it. I have the promo tapes before anything was released here in America. Freakin worst acting ever.

sabrina_diamond

Blazing dark Vulpix
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Hmmm... Well, after looking at everyone's post (which took me 30 mins) I would have my 3 cents! heehee. Well, it is true that if they stopped at 150 then we wouldn't have all the Gold and Silver pokemon. But now, the fact is that (some of) the new Diamond and Pearl look a bit TOO similar to previous Pokemon. Plus, I think the shape of the Pokemon is a major factor in originality... Some of the shapes are a bit weird.

Did anyone notice with each new generation, the old/original Pokemon are seen less and less often? I haven't seen a Ninetails, Seadra OR a Staryu in the anime for ages...! I wish they would show some of the original 150 Pokemon sometime!

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    By that I meant the very first time it aired on any television in this country, and it was all accidental, and my age has nothing to do with it.

HAJIME

so's your face
    Years
  • I don't think there are too many now. If anything, I think there being more makes it more ...er, realistic?

There's more to remember. And in there being more to remember, it makes it far more difficult to be good. I like the additions, I think things like... Combee only evolving if female and there being so few females is annoying, but really neat.

The only bad thing is how time consuming it's become.

I was obsessed in the days of Red and Blue. Everyone was into it. I used to hang around with some cousins all the time in the summer when our parents were at work when our nan looked after us and we played it literally all day. I lost interest when Gold and Silver came out... Hated those two games. I think I'm the only person in the world that did. I got Ruby, years later, because I was off on a holiday I wasn't looking forward to with the family and intended to literally play every day completely non-stop. Last year, a close friend got Diamond and was saying they wanted Ruby or Sapphire to fill up some of the Pokedex but didn't want to spent the money that was being asked on E-bay... So I just gave it to her.

And she became obsessed. And In her being obsessed, there's a secondary enjoyment for me. She made me get Pearl, cuz I wanted to check it out and if it was crap she could have it... Aaaand I got addicted.

My 3 hour return trip to work everyday on the train helped me get addicted again, gotta tell ya.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I didnt like G/s/c either. On that GBC it was horrid when it was night time because you could not see what the hell was on the screen

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • Hmmm... Well, after looking at everyone's post (which took me 30 mins) I would have my 3 cents! heehee. Well, it is true that if they stopped at 150 then we wouldn't have all the Gold and Silver pokemon. But now, the fact is that (some of) the new Diamond and Pearl look a bit TOO similar to previous Pokemon. Plus, I think the shape of the Pokemon is a major factor in originality... Some of the shapes are a bit weird.

Did anyone notice with each new generation, the old/original Pokemon are seen less and less often? I haven't seen a Ninetails, Seadra OR a Staryu in the anime for ages...! I wish they would show some of the original 150 Pokemon sometime!

First of all, it only makes sense. It's a different region. That's the whole concept behind it. The new pokemon are "new" because they go to a new region where the indigenous pokemon are different.

Second of all, excluding the anime and talking about the game, there are actually a LOT of generation 1 pokemon to obtain/see.

By that I meant the very first time it aired on any television in this country, and it was all accidental, and my age has nothing to do with it.

Lol sure it does. There are some 10-year olds here who wouldn't even have been born yet, or at least they were babies. They wouldn't have seen it. :P

Johnnyboi

Street Pokéster
    Years
  • Mr. Person:
    I don't get why you shouldn't state opinions in a discussion? After all, there is no way to factually say:
    "GSC was factually better than RSE".
    Exept... if you look at reviews.
    Pokémon Gold scored higher than Pokémon Ruby/Diamond review-wise. And that's a fact, you can check out some review sites, and you will see that this is most often, if not always the case, examples of some sites are:
    IGN, Gamespot, gamerankings.com.

Also, here's sales figures on Pokémon Gold and Silver/Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire:

Pokémon Gold and Silver: 14.51 million approximately: 7.6 million in US, 6.91 million in Japan
    Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire: 13 million worldwide

Check this out yourself at: Best Selling Games
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Ruby_and_Sapphire
    Pokémon Gold & Silver both sold more, and got better reviews.

Of course people are gonna use objective and personal views when they argue, but if you need statistics, statistics you'll get.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2010
    I used to be one of those who said RBYGSC were far better than the new ones, until I went back and played the again, I couldn't even stand to play Red anymore, I got one refresher in what a pain the PC boxes were and quit right there. At the time those games were better than RSEDP are now, but it's the nature of videogames to improve and run more smoothly over time.
    Part of my not appreciating the new games as much may come from my taking it more seriously, I just don't have fun playing Diamond, EV training and breeding for the best stats and moves has kind of sucked the fun out of it and turned it into more like work for me. I'll always have a soft spot for the days when I would take my Blue version and Lime Green GBC to my sister's softball games and battle the kids from whoever they were playing, winning all sorts of excellent pokes along the way. Now I play LG, the classic charm of RBY, and the features of the new games, and since I don't really need to worry about a metagame anymore, I can just play for fun again.

Back