• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Rep system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaga For Gaga

Gaga's Right Hand Man
Years
  • I have seen it been used on forums a lot and very effectively.

Simply a +/- button that allows people to gain or lose their rep for posts.

Understandably, it does require some form of maturity on the forums, but that should be a problem I hope.

Was just a suggestion more than anything and sorry if it has been asked before.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Not just no, but NOT EVEN IN YOUR WILDEST DREAMS!

Yeah...we used to have a reputation system, but it was disabled and for good reason. The kids here are simply too immature for it. It gets so terribly abused that it's no fun! Butthurt little babies get neg-repped then whine to staff about it!

Essentially, total chaos ensues.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Been there, done that twice. Both times we had crazy drama when people started to abuse the system. We created the "Post comment" system to make up for the lack of a rep system- that way, you can give your opinion about other people's posts without actually giving or taking a number from that member's count, which was the root of all evil.

Gaga For Gaga

Gaga's Right Hand Man
    Years
  • That is a shame :/

Fair enough, can a mod lock this then please?

Sorry ^^;

OR!
    Third time lucky? ^^;

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2010
    I'm sure that it'll get implemented once again if people will not just abuse the system. - . -

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Considering the fact that even some staff members fell into the group of members who weren't able to handle user reputation maturely, I don't see it being implemented any time soon - if at all. Personally, I don't even see the point in having user comments for posts. Especially considering the fact that some people don't even know how to use that properly. While it's nice to know if people appreciate your posts, they can direct it to you through a visitor message in public rather than anonymously. The whole system just seems rather irrelevant to me.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I'm sure that it'll get implemented once again if people will not just abuse the system. - . -

People are gonna have to work hard if they wanna get the system back. Believe me, you used the get repped for the most stupid things. xD

I doubt the system will come back any times soon, but then again, I may be wrong. Who am I to decide. It's in the hands of the higher ups. xD

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
  • I'm sure that it'll get implemented once again if people will not just abuse the system. - . -

However, I doubt that will happen. People are far more unwilling when it's failed twice now. I personally just wished at the time of removal, there was something to replace it. I know at FFTogether, our main system of member status is how long a person has clocked into the forum. It's pretty fail-safe, IMO. If you're an active member, you'd naturally have many hours of activity on the site clocked in anyway. A spammer would be around for a day and then get bored since there's no point to it, because of that system. Unless you're a dedicated member, you wouldn't have hours in anyway. :D

xJordan360

plurfection.
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 2, 2014
    I usually use the POST A COMMENT feature to complain about someone mini-modding without being a mini-mod by mini-modding them in the thread they were mini-modding in. ;D

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I usually use the POST A COMMENT feature to complain about someone mini-modding without being a mini-mod by mini-modding them in the thread they were mini-modding in. ;D
    That's what the report button is for, bro.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Personally, I don't even see the point in having user comments for posts. Especially considering the fact that some people don't even know how to use that properly.

Agreed. I get quite a few negative post comments just for doing my job. And if you think you're being anonymous when you do it to a staff member, you're not; we can see who says what. I'm sure it does get abused with normal members that can't though. It's not hard to say something nice, you know. Or hold in a rude comment you have. If you have such a problem with someone, don't be shady and leave a rude post comment, just PM them about it.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Also, I'm pretty sure I speak for a lot of people when I say that it is easier to correctly negatively rep someone then positively. You tend to find the mistakes easier then the 'good stuff', because the 'good stuff' is more incognito then the mistakes. Not sure if that made sense. xD

EDIT: By correctly, I mean rep without abusing.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I would prefer not to have the system again, but if it ever arises as a possibility(very doubtful) I'd say no rules be implemented on the system and just keep it as a "Like it or Suck it" Protocol. If you don't like the rep you are receiving, too bad. Don't hold anyone responsible.

Of course, my surprise age limit idea was debunked back before Rep was disabled again. My purpose was to keep the whining from children because they simply don't know the difference between flaming and criticism. Age is more often then not a lie. So, I would say implement the "Suck it" part of the protocol to everybody. Which is you can't report rep, or else.

Yes. Things get very complicated when you are running a fan site of a series aimed at little immature spiders.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Also, I'm pretty sure I speak for a lot of people when I say that it is easier to correctly negatively rep someone then positively. You tend to find the mistakes easier then the 'good stuff', because the 'good stuff' is more incognito then the mistakes. Not sure if that made sense. xD

EDIT: By correctly, I mean rep without abusing.

Well spoken my friend...When we did have a rep system, I used it far more to negative rep people who are spamming, bypassing the censor and character limits, and overall making pointless and non-meaningful posts.

It's a lot harder to find posts that are worth positive rep when you're doing your regular browsing.

...and the system got abused to heck when people would positive rep a random post from their friend saying, "Hey this is Tommy. +rep me, and I"ll +rep u again, lol", creating long chains and people who had godly rep just because they had a couple of good friends. >_>

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back