• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Honest

Hi!
Years
  • Sorry if this already exists, I'm to lazy to look

The hot chick (or guy) down the street. She's popular right? Invited to 3 parties a weekend, lots of friends. Good looking. Again, popular. Yourself? Maybe you're not as popular. You might be lower in the hierarchy. You might hang out with friends not as "cool" as those of the girls. Society (or at least, the society of an adolescent) deems it unlikely for you and her to best buddies. Why? Cause she's got a "better reputation" than you. That's society.

I say society can stick its finger up my... well you know.

Does reputation really have to play such a role in the lives of kids? Is it fair for you to like someone because they're more popular? Or are you like me and think the idea of "reputation" is simply retarded? It's an open ended question, really.

I made this on the spot, so don't kill me if it didn't make a lot of sense

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Personally I think it's fine, as long as it's not your life, and it's affecting anything else.

Reputation is another one of our primal instincts, and that is what created hierarchies and castes in countries and civilizations. Sure, they're not very convenient for some people, but we can't help it, and surely a little can't hurt.

However, when it gets out of control, that's when stuff starts to become ridiculous and people start getting hurt. It's all about tolerance and moderation.

Life really should have moderators.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I probably wouldn't be best buddies with that person because those who are higher on the social hierarchy usually attain such status by climbing the social ladder and playing the game right.

I don't play the game right at all. Hell, I know I'll never be able to play it right. People like her I wouldn't get along with anyhow most likely since she and I would view the world from such different viewpoints that most likely we would not be able to reconcile our differences.

This is why people like me do not have many friends at all, but those friends that do exist are strong, powerful bonds.

From what I have observed from others though, this kind of reputation-building game is extremely important, most especially in high school years. It's how others get others to follow them, to like them. Just go onto any social networking site and you'll see the top dogs everywhere. I consider myself not even participating on this ladder game since I honestly don't care and rather look for integrity and honesty in a person rather than power and potential to rise higher.

It seems like most socialization is akin to lekking, a behaviour found in polygamous birds, combined with social hierarchy pecking-orders. For example, a person would try to strut their stuff in front of others (lekking) to try to appeal to a larger crowd, thus rising themselves above others in the pecking order. Those who are the best at it are the popular ones, the ones who are poor are rarely liked. People like me simply do not participate in this.

Years
  • Reputation, or forms of social cliques have a lot to do with growing up unfortunately. But every now and then you'll see a popular kid with lots of friends from different "social groups". I personally was a pretty popular in high school, and had the fortune of having a lot of good friends from different areas of the social spectrum - jocks, nerds, preppier kids, etc. I never really understood why one couldn't have a lot of friends, but then again, I was pretty fortunate by being charismatic enough to play the game well.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    While it's easy to say "I'M NOT POPULAR AND SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BE" in school, it's much different in the real world. Honestly, the social skills that you learn from the "pecking order" in school are often really useful when it comes to making contacts and moving up in careers. Even the less-than-savory ones; take for example if you have a boss that manages to hide his weaknesses, but you have to clean up after him because of that. Having the ability to gracefully expose his weaknesses in a way that won't make people think of you as a snitch or the like is a very valuable skill that you can really only learn through practice, which you earn in more moderated social situations such as school.

90% of the real world is who you know, not what you know. I know I've personally been hindered by my lack of real social practice in school, because even now looking for a job, I don't have the high social skills that many others do that will get them very far in life. Yes, there are exceptions. But they're exceptions because they're much rarer. There has to be a balance between social engagement and academic achievement in school, dismissing either one is disastrous.

Years
  • I'm once of the lowest social classes at my school, but I don't really care. I'm perfectly happy with the friends I have, if people are going to treat me that way because I act the way I do, it's not worth trying to be there friend. That's really all I'm going to say on the subject.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • I think those "cliques" are pointless, but reputations are different (and important), IMO...

I never really cared much about cliques, but it's funny to watch my younger brother freak out because he needs the same shoes as all the other kids in his class have. This automatically makes his cool factor jump. :3

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
  • My whole school can pretty much be divided into 2 groups.

1. Scene kids, goths, hipsters, gang members, stereotypical "popular kids", skaters, and stupid people.

2. Stoners, hardstyle fans, freerunners, anime fans, losers, gamers. This is the half I'm in.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    OP I'm gunna talk directly to you here.

You keep stressing good looking, hot chick or guy down the street. As if that's the formula for popularity. It's not. You're the only one keeping yourself from hanging out with the people who you deem "cool." And that's probably the first reason why you're in the predicament you're in. You put them up on a pedestal. They're no better than you in any way, shape or form.

You need sociability. Popularity means having friends, which is only done through being social. I, myself, am not super popular. I suck at keeping in contact. I can talk to pretty well anybody in a setting where we're forced to be together (school, work, etc) but as soon as we're off doing our own thing, I don't think about anyone else but myself or the direct people involved in what I'm doing. Does that make me a bad friend? I don't think so. Some people might.

There was a party last night. I was invited. What did I do? I played Ragnarok Online with friends from PC. Wow, what a loser I am. Nobody at that party was cooler than me, and nobody at that party was less cool than me. We're all equals. I didn't go for several reasons: (a) Parties are not my scene. I'm not a straight edge, but I know that if I get drunk I do stupid ****. I prefer smoking pot, and I'm not at all sociable when I'm high. I sit and think. If there's music playing, no matter how garbage it is, all my attention will be going towards it. If I'm addressed, I might be able to carry a conversation for a minute or so before I completely space out.

Reputation seems to be a big deal. It's only as big of a deal as you let it be, and you seem to let it be a big deal. I'm gunna tell you straight up, those people you wish you were partying with, probably have a terrible reputation among themselves. If they're drinking underage, it's all about impressing their peers. They do stupid **** they regret. Your reputation, even if you think you're a loser, is probably pristine compared to some of theirs. And I'm gonna tell you straight up what they think of you: Oh look, it's Bloodex, he probably doesn't want to hang out with us. I couldn't invite him to the party because it'd be awkward, we never talk. It'd be cool if he came to a party, though.

I don't know what my reputation in high school was. I think it was probably somewhere along the lines of "a kid who plays in a band and makes movies." Not bad if you ask me. It wasn't "oh man he's the life of the party!" or "wow what a loser, how does he even have friends?" I had one group of friends, they were the losers of the grade. I was one of the nerds. Never invited to parties, not very social. At the time, I hated it! I wanted so badly to be invited to parties. I thought exactly the way you do now. But even if you were invited to those parties, you would hate going there. You would feel out of place, and all of these people would have all these stories and inside jokes that you don't get at all.

My advice to you: make the best out of what you've got, and don't label anything. If you want to party because you want to know what it's like to get drunk, get drunk! Learn! If you want to know what it's like to smoke pot, smoke it. Get high. It's fun as hell. Just don't get out of hand. People usually get out of hand because they hang out with other people who enable it. You sound like someone that could very well keep track of himself and moderate things.

And trust me. Things will get better. Coming out of high school is quite an experience. I won't spoil anything, but you'll be hella happy. Mark my words.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
    Years
  • i don't care ow much people are cool or oh please,they are cooler than me...what makes them cooler?..we both are humans...and i myself won't care about reputation as soo as the person is nice to me...other that that what people say can burn in hell while i'm enjoying summer on Ze beach with bad reputaion people lol

Back