• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Where are the mini-mods at?

So what are mini-mods just moderators with less power than full-blown moderators? Similar to forum janitors?
    If so I've never seen the title under those people's names like moderators, staff, and supporters have titles by their names.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    Minimods are against the rules and can be given infractions :D

They are people who act as if they are mods.

Ex: "Your thread doesn't belong in X forum"
    "This is totally offtopic and should be locked"

Don't be a minimod. It is highly looked down upon.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Mini mods are members who think they're moderators. They go on from thread to thread telling the original poster that the thread should have gone somewhere else, state that it should be locked, and things along those lines. They go around acting like moderators when, in truth, by doing so they lock a fate in most likely never becoming one at all.

They're wanna-be moderators, to say the least, with no power or forum regulation.

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
    The only problem I've always found with this rule is mini-modding is very often confused with friendly advice on where to post things. I'm no mod here but I don't think it's wrong to question the rule, at times. Just my opinion.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    The only problem I've always found with this rule is mini-modding is very often confused with friendly advice on where to post things. I'm no mod here but I don't think it's wrong to question the rule, at times. Just my opinion.
    I can see where you're coming from. Most moderators can tell the difference, and give leniency to those who are just offering friendly advice. It becomes rather obvious for most to determine the difference between a helpful member of the community and a mini mod. And, in my experience, I don't really mind people expressing that they think a thread should be locked so long as they have something else more supportive and meaningful to say in the thread. That's not to go saying that in as many threads you can, either. :/ I'm just saying, I don't mind someone expressing an opinion or offering advice to another member so long as they have something else to say that's more of a contribution to the thread.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    ^ Yeah.

There's a difference between someone going "Maybe you should post that in _____ forum. That might work better. ^ ^ " and " lolol. wrong. Dude read the rules next time, because that obviously goes in the _______ forum. Please look at the area descriptions."

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
    ^ Yeah.

There's a difference between someone going "Maybe you should post that in _____ forum. That might work better. ^ ^ " and " lolol. wrong. Dude read the rules next time, because that obviously goes in the _______ forum. Please look at the area descriptions."

I usually just play it safe and don't do so anymore, because I have been reprimanded a long time ago doing just that and being friendly. xD Better to stay on the safe side when it comes to stuff like this. It's just that whenever something goes wrong, said thread seems to die because no one wants to be the one to accidentally mini-mod. I'm not saying it's not a necessary rule to have, I'm only saying that the boundary and risk between being wrongfully reprimanded or rightfully reprimanded is so slim that it bugs me. I think that "Maybe you should post that in _____ forum. That might work better. ^ ^ " is often viewed as mini-modding to most people, no matter what the actual mods think, if everyone else thinks it is, then there's really no difference. Gah, I'm confusing myself, but you understand what I mean right? xD

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Personally, I don't see why members need to say anything at all in that situation. I know I just reported threads that weren't in the right area and such and just went about my business back when I was member. Sure, you're being helpful, but as Lightning said... what's the point when the thread is just gonna get moved or locked and the reason given by the moderator anyway?

Perhaps that's just my opinion.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    Locz, we already have those all over these forums, don't make it official, it only encourages certain members (you know who you are).

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
    IDK about this one. I know the whole "report and move on" schpiel, but even though I haven't done this in ages, what is often considered to be mini-modding, I was just referring to a rule that, if the user had followed, wouldn't have had a problem. As far as I'm concerned, that and reporting is the only "power" I have over anything here. I don't see why I should be punished for that, especially since half the time(or more)the mod would just reference the rule anyway.

Years
    Personally, I don't see why members need to say anything at all in that situation. I know I just reported threads that weren't in the right area and such and just went about my business back when I was member. Sure, you're being helpful, but as Lightning said... what's the point when the thread is just gonna get moved or locked and the reason given by the moderator anyway?

Well, that is one way to look at it, but in my eyes, it is just members of the forum helping out.

I understand it is stupid to go:
    "LOL WRONG FORUM. DURR!!!!11!"

But if someone kindly corrects the member, then carries on with the discussion, then I don't see the problem. As long as they aren't an ass, there is no problem. Again, just my opinion.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years

Well, if a thread's going to get locked, they could provide the answer so the asker doesn't have to go ask where it should be asked and spend extra time.

Years
    Well, if a thread's going to get locked, they could provide the answer so the asker doesn't have to go ask where it should be asked and spend extra time.
    I think you're on the right track. Guiding members in the right direction is admirable, whereas mini-modding for the sake of an ego trip is the real issue and is therefore what is targeted. It's about how it's said an the motivation behind it.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    There is a difference between mini-modding and being a helpful member. First off, a perfect given example of mini-modding would be "This is in the wrong section, you may want to try ___." Even saying, "Isn't this supposed to be in the ___?" These are all related to the occasional mini-modding dilemmas. It could be written rudely, and it could be written politely, but if it is off-topic from the thread (regardless of it needing to be closed, moved, etc.) it is still mini-modding and it is considered Off-topic/Spam. Which is why a member could be given a warning or infraction for doing it.

Now, while that is being a mini-mod, being a helpful member would more likely stick to the topic of the actual thread and at the end, give a helpful tip that this was actually supposed to be somewhere else or maybe it isn't allowed. However, the best thing to do when you think something is not in the right place or isn't allowed is to simply use the report button and report it. It may come off as a lousy way to be helpful in the sense, but trust me it works. I used to do it back when I was a regular member, and believe it or not, just by reporting something you may see can point out something to the moderator or higher staff that they did not see.

That's basically the difference between being a complete mini-mod and being a helpful member. And the reason why it isn't best to mini-mod other than it being considered Off-topic/Spam is because sometimes the member who mini-mods could give out the wrong information. This sadly, only gives the moderator double the work from what they were supposed to do the first time. :\

tl;dr, I know. :( ...But there is really no short way to explain it, if you want to really understand it.

Spike Kintarin

Don't run! It's just ham!
    Years
    Not exactly sure where to post this, but, would anyone by chance have an extra Sludge Bomb TM or two that they would be willing to trade? I can offer just about anything in return, just let me know. ^-^;

Muffin™

Knows your age
    Years
    My belief is that they are users trying to be get a job as a mod (Thus making the user motivated by doing the REAL mod's job of closing/moving the thread. Then they expect to get looked upon at by mods. THEN they think they can get the job :/)

^^^ IMO

Back