• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Requesting general help on my Pokemon team

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    All of those are good pokes, but they serve different functions. As much as I love Blaziken and Volcarona, Easy Bake Oven Rotom-H is probably the better fit for your team, to give you something that is more specially defensive and can spread status. You already have 4 offensive pokes, so let's round it out with a more defensive one. The set I had in mind was:

-Heat Rotom w/Leftovers
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 248 HP, 8 Defense, 252 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Overheat, Volt-Switch/Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Will-o-Wisp

Moltres is a Pokemon I've never cared much for, but I guess its not bad. You could use it if you really want to. And yes, if you save before battling it (save BEFORE you enter the cave) you can soft reset to get the IVs and nature you want. If you like soft reseting a lot. But it'd probably still be better too use other fire types in Wifi battles.

Oh, and Rotom-H pairs fairly well with Skarmory, since Rotom resists Fire and Electric, which Skarm is weak to, and if you use the set I posted, it takes those special attacks that physically defensive Skarmory isn't too fond of pretty well.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Magmortar and Delphox are ok, but they aren't the best options. In Wifi and OU battles, its generally better to stick with other fire types.

You can get Magmortar in X/Y. Magmar is a Safari Pokemon, and you can buy Magmarizers at the Battle Maison.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
  • So hands down I would be better off with Rotom or Valcarona than I would with say Magmortar or Delphox?

Magmortar and Delphox are ok, but they aren't the best options. In Wifi and OU battles, its generally better to stick with other fire types.

You can get Magmortar in X/Y. Magmar is a Safari Pokemon, and you can buy Magmarizers at the Battle Maison.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • So hands down I would be better off with Rotom or Valcarona than I would with say Magmortar or Delphox?

In my opinion, yes you would. Though keep in mind that you would need a Rapid Spinner or defog User if you wanted to use Volcarona

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    In my opinion, yes you would. Though keep in mind that you would need a Rapid Spinner or defog User if you wanted to use Volcarona

Yeah, forgot to mention that Volcarona has a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock as well, even though I use him on one of my teams that doesn't have a rapid spinner (oops,lol)
    That being said, Rotom Heat is the better option if you don't have a Rapid Spinner.
    A good set could be:

Rotom-H
    Levitate
    Leftovers
    Evs: 252 HP, 252 SpDef, 6 Def
    Volt Switch, Overheat, Thunderwave/Will O Wisp, Pain Split (for Recovery)

Or

Rotom-H
    Levitate
    Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    Evs: 4 HP, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe
    Volt Switch, Overheat, Thunderbolt, Trick/Your Choice

The first set is a Specially Defensive set, allowing Rotom to be able to take some hits while being Ok offensively. The second set is an attacking set, playing a role similar to Volcarona. Honestly, the Ev spread, Nature,etc you've chosen for him is perfect, as a Special Wall would benefit your team, as you lack one (I believe) and I would assume Skarmory is your physical wall

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    @Draven1234:
    I'm not the best at all those team role names. I am going for a more defensive Rotom. I just hope I breed all the Pokemon right. Also, I will need to find a Rotom.

You can find one at the Lost Hotel on Tuesday nights (You can just change your date and time settings to Tuesday night). Then just breed it with Ditto to get you IVs & correct nature

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
  • What move set should I use for Alakazam? I've seen a few different ones. I'm also having trouble deciding which nature to use.

My first breeding project with Froakie has been successful. I've bred a Male froakie with 6 perfect IV's, hasty nature, and Protean. I'm very glad because it took a LOT of eggs to complete. My next breeding project is either Abra or Skarmory. I forgot to check Greninja's moves to see if there are any that I needed to get through breeding but I think I'll be ok.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Alakazam's best bet for moves is probably: Psyshock, Dazzling Gleam, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast/Hidden Power Fire/Hidden Power Ice (depending on if you can get one of those hidden power types). As for the nature, Timid is best.

All of Greninja's commonly used moves are obatined either via level up or TMs, except Toxic Spikes, but that's not an absolutely vital move.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
  • @No Chance Without Zekrom:

Thanks buddy! Going to start breeding Alakazam as we speak. What would be better, Focus Blast or one of the hidden powers?
    Alakazam's best bet for moves is probably: Psyshock, Dazzling Gleam, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast/Hidden Power Fire/Hidden Power Ice (depending on if you can get one of those hidden power types). As for the nature, Timid is best.

All of Greninja's commonly used moves are obatined either via level up or TMs, except Toxic Spikes, but that's not an absolutely vital move.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    They all have their uses, but I'm leaning a bit towards the hidden powers, since Focus Blast is to hit Steels harder than Shadow Ball, but HP Fire hits Steels supereffectively while hitting other types supereffectively as well. HP Ice gives nice coverage too. But don't drive yourself nuts trying to get a certain Hidden Power type; Focus Blast is still an acceptable choice (just be wary of its accuracy).

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years

Ok thanks man. Are hidden power types random for each and every Pokemon?

@Anybody:

Trying to think of the perfect moveset for medicham. Heres the moves I'm considering:

Drain punch heals, Bullet punch takes priority over opponents speed, Power up punch raises atk a level, psycho cut has increased crit chance, bulk up does nice buffs. Thunder/Fire/Ice punch have type effectiveness, hi jump kick is strong.

I'm nearly sure I'm going to use Zen Headbutt, but I can't decide on the others. Need some help!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Hidden Power types are determined by the Pokemon's IVs.

Btw, what is your team so far? I've kinda forgotten and a bunch of ideas have been thrown around.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years

Garchomp, Greninja, Skarmory, Heat Rotom, Medicham, Alakazam. I updated the first post with all the natures, move sets, abilities, items, etc.
    Hidden Power types are determined by the Pokemon's IVs.

Btw, what is your team so far? I've kinda forgotten and a bunch of ideas have been thrown around.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • There's no need to use 2 status moves on Heat Rotom. While double-status is a viable strategy, other Pokemon do it better:
    -Volt Switch
    -Overheat
    -Will-o-Wisp/Thunder Wave
    -Pain Split
    EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
  • @Platinum Dude:
    I had thought about that as well. In rated battles can you only put a status condition such as paralysis or burn on only one of the opponents party? Isn't thunderbolt better than Volt Switch? I was thinking maybe this then

Thunderbolt
    Will-O-Wisp (since thunderbolt already has a chance of paralysis)
    Overheat
    Pain Split

What do you think? I was also needing some help deciding on a move set for my Medicham.
    There's no need to use 2 status moves on Heat Rotom. While double-status is a viable strategy, other Pokemon do it better:
    -Volt Switch
    -Overheat
    -Will-o-Wisp/Thunder Wave
    -Pain Split
    EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    @Platinum Dude:
    I had thought about that as well. In rated battles can you only put a status condition such as paralysis or burn on only one of the opponents party? Isn't thunderbolt better than Volt Switch? I was thinking maybe this then

Thunderbolt
    Will-O-Wisp (since thunderbolt already has a chance of paralysis)
    Overheat
    Pain Split

What do you think? I was also needing some help deciding on a move set for my Medicham.

It's only Sleep that you can only inflict on one Pokemon at a time, and that's just in places that follow Smogon's rules. You can paralyze or burn an entire opponent's party if you wish.

Volt Switch is a viable option;wouldn't really call one better than the other. Personally, I don't like having it as my only Electric attack (cuz I don't wanna switch out every time I want use my Electric attack) unless there's other members with U-Turn/Volt Swicth for a Volt-turn combo. But either is fine.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
  • Thanks Zekrom. I guess I'll use the move set I outlined a post or two ago.

It's only Sleep that you can only inflict on one Pokemon at a time, and that's just in places that follow Smogon's rules. You can paralyze or burn an entire opponent's party if you wish.

Volt Switch is a viable option;wouldn't really call one better than the other. Personally, I don't like having it as my only Electric attack (cuz I don't wanna switch out every time I want use my Electric attack) unless there's other members with U-Turn/Volt Swicth for a Volt-turn combo. But either is fine.

So anyone wan't to give me some pointers for Medichams moveset? Drain punch heals, Bullet punch takes priority over opponents speed, Power up punch raises atk a level, psycho cut has increased crit chance, bulk up does nice buffs. Thunder/Fire/Ice punch have type effectiveness, hi jump kick is strong.

I'm probably going to use Zen Headbutt, but I can't decide on the others.

Last edited:
    Back