• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RetroTech: Technology from forever ago!

Years
  • I literally just fired up my CRT TV tonight, before I even saw this thread! I've had this thing since I was about 8 or 9 years old. :D

Spoiler:

also I totally just gave away where in Florida I live

Years
  • Landline telephones. You had to share them with everyone in the house unless you paid for a second line (what!) and you could pick up any phone and listen in on someone's conversation, though they could probably hear you pick up the phone. You were also stuck to using it within like 5-10 feet of where it was plugged in. So if you wanted to talk with a friend you called their family and either hoped they were home or planned a time to talk to them. Not much privacy there.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • I don't remember any real "retro" tech (being too young to remember anything older than windows XP) but I own a dragon 32 computer from the 80's. The GBA is a device I remember fondly, along with looking at how ABSOLUTELY AMAZING the DS and PSP were (and not being able to afford one)
    don't kill me for being young OK
    This was in about 2007 when the DS and PSP had been on the market for a while but to infant school me were so expensive they were unobtainable and still seemed like amazing new tech at the time.

Last edited:
    Years
  • some kids think the orginal gameboy looked strange as hell and i dont since i grew up in the gameboy era with i was born in the same year the original gameboy came out

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Woo I'm old enough to remember some of this stuff!

Win 98 PCs at school.

CRT Tvs and Monitors that explode when you throw them in a dumpster

Floppies (And the Oregon Trail floppy being worth gold to us school kids)

I still have a VCR and about a bookcase full of VHS tapes.

Oldest console I remember owning was a Dreamcast (which I still have... Somewhere... I think...)

Oh and I remember getting I think a Nokia Brick or the model before when I was really young (for emergencies only)

Guest123_x1

I can't believe how much things have changed since I was a kid. I remember regularly using these back in the day:

*Watching movies on VHS tapes. Also setting the VCR's timer to record programs (I did this regularly to record the Pokémon anime off of Kids' WB back in the early 2000s.)

*Using Apple IIe computers when I was in elementary school. On top of that, loading software via 5¼ inch floppy disks.

*Speaking of CRT TVs, I regularly fiddled with the rabbit ears on top of mine to get the best signal from whatever channel I was watching. I would also frequently surf through the entire VHF and UHF dials after a thunderstorm and discover stations that normally couldn't be received in my area (DX'ing).

*Listening to music via Compact Cassette tapes (yes, that's the official name for the once-common audio format. Everybody that's old enough has dealt with them at one point or another.)

*Gaming consoles that used ROM cartridges instead of discs, such as the NES, Super NES, N64, and Sega Genesis. Although I never used it, I remember the original PlayStation being highly regarded due to it using optical discs instead of cartridges.

*IBM PC compatibles running real mode DOS, complete with having to deal with the notorious "640KB limit" for RAM. (The original IBM PC series and the aforementioned Apple IIe date back to an era when there were many competing microcomputer architectures, nearly all mutually incompatible with one another.)

Years
  • I remember the old Mac OS computers at our school, then later on they came out with the different coloured somewhat translucent monitors.

Walkmans, I was so happy when my grandparents got me one.

Watching movies on a TV rather then a projector.

OVERHEADS

Old school Neopets?

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • As a retro game collector, I, uh, have a bit of experience with this. As for stuff I actually owned as a kid, my first console was a Genesis, and that's still one of my favourite consoles to this day.

RetroTech: Technology from forever ago!

I recently picked up a sweet gaming PC on the cheap recently! What a beast!
    Your eyes don't deceive you. It does in fact have TWO floppy drives!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Even though I rarely used floppy disk nowadays, it's still there in my good 'ol PC. I also remember using CRT TVs back in the day, and one of them is still there in the room somewhere. And if you count gaming consoles, I still have Famiclone and PSone as well.

Back