• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Revamped MrDS rombase?

Would you be interested in this project?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Yes, but with some changes

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Hey all,

I'm trying to decide whether or not it would be worth working on updating/adding to the existing version of MrDS' rombase. I realize that several community members are working on overhauling the battle system for FR, but this project would ideally serve to benefit those who are working on an existing rom hack with MrDS' rombase, or simply don't want to wait for the updated battle system to arrive. That being said, it would be quite a large project, especially for one person, so I would like to gauge public interest/gather opinions before really getting underway. Currently, my ideas are:

• Expand moves to 720
    • Add as many new moves/effects as possible; mainly those with complex effects such as gravity, trick room, etc
    • Complete unfinished moves such as tailwind, healing wish, etc
    • Update all 386 Pokemon learnsets as close as possible to Gen 7
    • Fix some, if not all, of the errors in the existing rombase
    • Add/finish new items such as Big Root, Iron Ball, etc

Depending on public interest/help this list can expand to include things like expanded pokeballs, expanded TMs/HMs, more field moves, and so on.

Prof. Leon Dias

Let your memes be dreams
    Years
  • We should see what MrDs thinks before anything. I'd be in full support of the project if we have his graces. It is a bit of a hassle changing every pokemon's move to reflect Gen 7 after applying the base, and some things aren't fully decapitalized. But these are also minute issues that the hacker is ultimately responsible for dealing with.

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    We should see what MrDs thinks before anything. I'd be in full support of the project if we have his graces. It is a bit of a hassle changing every pokemon's move to reflect Gen 7 after applying the base, and some things aren't fully decapitalized. But these are also minute issues that the hacker is ultimately responsible for dealing with.

Definitely agree with getting permission. Should have mentioned that in the initial post. I tend to side with hackers doing the minute issues themselves as well. This would be more for adding advanced effects that require a lot of work to implement by ones self. I give the example of gravity because to truly implement it in a professional manner, you have to insert hooks in several locations throughout the battle engine, which isn't a trivial task.

Years
  • Tbh no. If we want the engine done, go work on that rather than a project that has many known bugs without the source code. I've decompiled and altered many of the old routines for Clover, and it's a pain to have to decompile something that's an add on, with no documentation. Even with the offset he posted that had the locations of a couple routines, it doesn't cover all of them. Honestly I think it's a waste of time because it'll just end up getting outdated again because ASM is hard to write/read easily.

Back