• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Roleplay Corner is intimidating!!"

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Is this a myth or not? To those of you who don't normally hang out in the roleplay corner, I'm just curious as to why. Naturally, everybody can't love everything xD I'm not a hacker nor a trader or pokémon battler, so I never really set foot in those forums. A majority of PC members clearly aren't into forum roleplaying/writing. That's nothing strange!

What I'd like to assess is how the forum is perceived. If you're not a RP regular and click this now, what are your thoughts? Does it look overly complicated or does it seem boring, or are you simply not interested in creative writing or just not creative writing together with other people?

We're always trying to make the forum as inviting and fun as possible, so I'm thankful for any feedback!​

Years
  • I think the main reason why I never post in the section is because I'm not very good with creative writing plus the fact I'd have to make very long, constructive posts is not really good for someone with a hectic life such as myself.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • I used to be a fairly active RPer in my early forum days, but kinda drifted away from it since people really mostly expect, yknow, half-decent posts, and I'm just not that good. I'm the one that always does short posts because I just don't know how to convey shit.

Also I am hella paranoid of my shit being judged negatively and it really puts me off, even if no one would actually do that.

Also I would have to find an RP that actually grabs my interest, and not to talk shit about any of them, but none really ever do that.

I suppose it's just really not my thing anymore.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think the main reason why I never post in the section is because I'm not very good with creative writing plus the fact I'd have to make very long, constructive posts is not really good for someone with a hectic life such as myself.
    Fair enough! But "very long constructive posts" is an argument that sounds a bit weird to me. You don't have to make overly long posts at all times. Usually it's just how things end up being, because you want to fit a lot of story into one post. But there are roleplays who are more lenient and where quick convo is made through shorter posts too. It's interesting to hear that this is a thing people might think about the RPC though! Thank you.

I used to be a fairly active RPer in my early forum days, but kinda drifted away from it since people really mostly expect, yknow, half-decent posts, and I'm just not that good. I'm the one that always does short posts because I just don't know how to convey shit.

Also I am hella paranoid of my shit being judged negatively and it really puts me off, even if no one would actually do that.

Also I would have to find an RP that actually grabs my interest, and not to talk shit about any of them, but none really ever do that.

I suppose it's just really not my thing anymore.
    What sort of RPs do you think you'd enjoy, if I may ask? :3

"holy shit i must have some wizardly CSS skills to even begin roleplaying like most of the RP regs. ._."

I can make do with creative writing and all that good stuff but the CSS in like most of the RP posts...damn @_@
    oh god is that really what people have begun to think? Personally I sigh at all the super css'd in-character posts. People usually justify it with that it makes their posts stand out and their character to be more unique, or stuff like that. I hadn't really considered that it might turn newcomers away :/

You really don't need to know any code at all to roleplay. You don't even have to be a good writer, haha. The Roleplay Corner is not Fanfiction & Writing - people here usually don't care about some misspelling or half-assed writing really. We just want to have fun and create stories and characters together. Granted, each game master has their own taste and view on what's an acceptable level of writing, but usually it's no too harsh climate. Or, well, it shouldn't be.

(have I annoyed y'all yet with my editing -> multiple notifications? sorry xD)

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • What sort of RPs do you think you'd enjoy, if I may ask? :3

I...honestly don't really know anymore, it's been years since I last tried my hand at RPing. I would have to see something, and then decide I like it. Sounds a bit complicated but yeah, I can't really say in advance what I like, I have to see it first and like it.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • Oh dang diggity, there's a 100 word per-post rule there?

Well uh. I can't really do that, so that alone is another reason I wouldn't really fancy going back into that. I just can't make something I would say in less words use more words.

pkmin3033

I used to be a huge roleplayer a few years back, but despite the constant urges I get to get back into it, and the multitude of ideas that continually assault me during idle moments, I've never thought about roleplaying here. I'm both intimidated by the roleplay section and almost certain that I wouldn't fit in there due to my writing style and approach to roleplaying in general.

I've always started roleplays I've been a part of; I very rarely join them unless I've had a large role in creating the plot and setting...roleplaying is basically like writing a joint novel to me. I'm not a spontaneous person in my writing and I like knowing where things are going; I like planning things out in advance, even to the point where there are two or three sequel roleplays to follow the current one. Roleplaying, to me, is about 80% scheming and 20% writing.

The way things are done in the roleplay corner isn't what I'm used to and, whilst I could learn to adapt - after all, I've learned to adapt to multiple forums' way of doing things in the past - I'm put off by the feeling that I wouldn't fit in, and the odious notion of "starting again" as such. Really, active roleplaying sections are almost self-contained forums within themselves: you need to make a good first impression, you inevitably form new social circles, and it can be very difficult to get into things.

Plus I've become a bit...disenchanted with roleplaying. You need to attract people - which is ridiculously difficult to do if you're new to roleplaying somewhere, even if you're not necessarily new to roleplaying in general - and then they need to stay interested and active (which you don't have full control over) and then there's the waiting for posts...I'm an impatient person when I get caught up in something, and timezones often make it difficult as well to keep things moving at a rapid pace.

tl;dr it's not the section, it's me. xD

Years
  • I can't really speak for anyone else, just my initial thoughts from lurking in RPC every now and again. Like, If I made some sort of regular, non-CSS post, it's going to get really lost and buried and all of the stylized posts because they look prettier and stand out more and everyone is pretty much used to doing it, I'd imagine. .__.; I just don't want to feel....um...out-of-place, is a better way of phrasing things.

Tbh, this doesn't mean that the posts themselves don't come off interesting, I like seeing decorative posts because as you said, it helps accentuate character, y'know, to put some flavor into their posts but...for people like me, I feel that, on a subconscious level, my post would look bland and flavorless in comparison to everyone else's and it would just look sorta embarrassing. I hope this makes sense. ^^

If anybody is really that worried about CSS usage, they should know that the RPC recently opened a template thread. People are submitting CSS templates that anybody is welcome to copy and use in their posts and to play with/edit as much as they like also if they choose.

Years
  • Thanks for the help, gimme and Rika. I know the RPC isn't really an intimidating section per say, I just thought that I'd get this primary concern out of chest. If CSS isn't like, wholly necessary or anything, then that makes me happier (especially seeing that there's templates that are provided, that makes things all the better!).

I will (hopefully!) be sure to lurk around RPC some more and get a feel of the forum, because I really want to start Roleplaying myself at some point and getting to know the community, there. Truth be told, I'm pretty much a novice roleplayer (I haven't done any RP'ing in years) but I'll still try and fit in, yeah? nwn;

Oh well if you're a novice you aren't welcome

I jest of course, the RPC is very friendly to new or rusty RPers in general and pretty much everyone is open to lending a helping hand with anything you need. I'm looking forward to seeing you there! :D

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • That Dreamland thread thing in the RPC, that is one of the most appealing concepts I've ever seen for RPing. That's something I'd be interested in. Especially since it's exempt from the word limit.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    That Dreamland thread thing in the RPC, that is one of the most appealing concepts I've ever seen for RPing. That's something I'd be interested in. Especially since it's exempt from the word limit.
    Glad you like it! It's only for characters that are already in other roleplays though, as it's a way of taking a character out of its context and explore it further. But if you find yourself in a proper RP and think things are going slow or don't feel like typing "long" posts for a while, you can always stick your char into Dreamland and do something completely different for as long as you'd like.

Would newcomers be more inclined to join a stickied roleplay with no word limit and a very simple setup and sign up phase, perhaps? The proper roleplays are the main attraction of course, but if it's really difficult to find one you like and you just want to get to know people and learn how things are done... Maybe it would be a good idea to have something like that? We mentioned in some chat somewhere an idea of a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon-esque setting where people simply picked a pokémon and a nickname and jumped into it. RPC regular or not. I just wouldn't want people to stay there forever xD

Years
  • That Dreamland thread thing in the RPC, that is one of the most appealing concepts I've ever seen for RPing. That's something I'd be interested in. Especially since it's exempt from the word limit.

Didn't you say you used to be an RPer a while ago?
    If that's the case you're probably able to join dreamland as an old character.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • Would newcomers be more inclined to join a stickied roleplay with no word limit and a very simple setup and sign up phase, perhaps? The proper roleplays are the main attraction of course, but if it's really difficult to find one you like and you just want to get to know people and learn how things are done... Maybe it would be a good idea to have something like that? We mentioned in some chat somewhere an idea of a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon-esque setting where people simply picked a pokémon and a nickname and jumped into it. RPC regular or not. I just wouldn't want people to stay there forever xD

I've generally preferred to play human characters in the past but the idea of that is attractive.

Didn't you say you used to be an RPer a while ago?
    If that's the case you're probably able to join dreamland as an old character.

Not on this forum, sadly.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I'm pretty much a somewhat stranger to the RP corner and to RP in general. The most I've got is the occasional lurking in that section and I've seen friends who have RPed in other placed such as tumblr (but that's somewhat different to it here). There was point in time a couple of years a go when I tried to roleplay in another forum, but that was back when I wasn't into any creative writing into any sorts and that didn't last more than a single post.

For me, the RP Corner doesn't really seem that intimidating. If I had to list it as something, it would probably be just time consuming. RPing looks fun, but for me to participate I would really love to put a lot of effort into it since I'd tend and like writing long stuff as well as I don't want to have to suddenly leave (my schedule rn is up and down) if I was interacting with someone.

I would consider shorter/ short running RPs, but not really at the current moment.

Would newcomers be more inclined to join a stickied roleplay with no word limit and a very simple setup and sign up phase, perhaps? The proper roleplays are the main attraction of course, but if it's really difficult to find one you like and you just want to get to know people and learn how things are done... Maybe it would be a good idea to have something like that? We mentioned in some chat somewhere an idea of a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon-esque setting where people simply picked a pokémon and a nickname and jumped into it. RPC regular or not. I just wouldn't want people to stay there forever xD

I'm really liking this idea! It's the kind of thing that I would really look at actually! but I'm with Abba in saying a preference for human characters.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Those looking for short roleplays to try out should keep a lookie for our events :O we've run several month long roleplays before that have been good fun *^.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Mm, I generally prefer human characters as well. It's just:

1) we're a pokemon forum, where everyone can at least somewhat relate to pokemon still.

2) picking a pokemon and jumping in lets you quickly get into the swing of roleplaying on pc. If you want to put more effort into character creation, normal RPs exist for that.

So I think I want to argue that a newbie-friendly roleplay here should be a pokemon char one, for simplicity's sake! Like I said, you wouldn't be expected to stay in that one forever. Am I making sense? :)

Time consuming is a good description, zappy. There's not much to do about that other than what Magic said. There will be more events before too long, and we'll likely make threads in Community Announcements to, well, announce them!

But yeah, joining a RP normally means investing a bit of your time and energy for a while ahead in the story. That's part of the charm when you really get into it though :3

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Those looking for short roleplays to try out should keep a lookie for our events :O we've run several month long roleplays before that have been good fun *^.

:O

How long average-is would you say a long and a short RP is?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Well......... Long ones are several years haha. *looks at Atlantis and Odyssey and Crossroads and more*

Short events can be a month, short roleplays in general can be a few months I guess. Most often roleplays last for as long as players are interested though and if interest fails, it's abandoned. It's a pity for the story, but since the bottom line of it all is to have fun, it's really okay to let roleplays die if they turn boring. We're not out to force ourselves to write :)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    For my it's less the forum itself and more forum roleplaying as a whole. I used to forum roleplay. A lot. It's how I first started roleplaying and for years it's what I did. If this was say.... ten-fifteen years ago ( a looong time ago ) the roleplay forum would be the board I would be in most often!

But the thing is I can't seem to find forum roleplaying appealing anymore. Not compared to the kind of roleplaying that I do now. Maybe one day I'll give it another try, but for the time being I'm actually trying to get back into roleplay on the site I normally roleplay at these days before I try to go back into roleplaying on forums again.

Back