• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

RLT

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2017
What you said about OverWorlds, if you're hacking Fire Red you can use JPAN's hacked engine, or pal 2, might just be my edited rom, but that one was not used in any Overworlds. And as for what you said about shiny pokemon if you mean sprites, then they're already in the rom, but if you mean something like make a wild pokemon shiny then do this: ***

Now I have a question for you guys. What do you think about occasional curse words in a hack?

When I use JPAN's Hacked Engine the game crashes, don't open in VBA, A-Map or other program, and after searching very much I found a topic here ([Tutorial] Add new overworlds to fire red) that don't need JPAN's Hacked Engine but in the step 4 I don't understand and need help with this part of the topic. About Shiny Pokemon I already watched that video, but I has some problems and I need someone to help me with this.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Now I have a question for you guys. What do you think about occasional curse words in a hack?

Tbh I don't see the need for 'true' swearing. 'Damn' is about as far as I'd go, I'm not a fan of random profanity and believe that (generally) it just reflects the writer.

Hi I am making a ROM hack and I need to know if there was an out of battle sprite for Onyx in Pokemon red.

095.png

You mean this guy?...

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jun 20, 2014
Magic, first off thanks for actually answering my question. Secondly sadly that is not the sprite I am talking about. I mean an out of battle sprite. Like an overworld sprite. I know some Pokemon use the same generic sprite but others have custom out of battle sprites. I.E Mewtwo, the legendary birds etc. I was simply trying to find out the earliest game that features a custom out of battle sprite for Onyx but that question is moot now because I refuse to even attempt to be a part of this community.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Magic, first off thanks for actually answering my question. Secondly sadly that is not the sprite I am talking about. I mean an out of battle sprite. Like an overworld sprite. I know some Pokemon use the same generic sprite but others have custom out of battle sprites. I.E Mewtwo, the legendary birds etc. I was simply trying to find out the earliest game that features a custom out of battle sprite for Onyx but that question is moot now because I refuse to even attempt to be a part of this community.

Ah! Unfortunately there isn't an Onix over world until Soul Silver ( I believe) where all pokemon got one. So it would need inserting into your FR/whatever ROM.

:(

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years

The Onix overworld sprite is on devianart.

Here you go. http://mrmenworld2010.deviantart.com/art/Overworld-sprites-184605780

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jun 20, 2014
Thanks! I really appreciate your help Magic and CosmicBlazer! That is all I needed to know. *Fades into obscurity*

mikefromindyindy

EDM producer/ pokemon hacker
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 27, 2014
I was wondering if anyone could help me learn a few things for my rom hack (emerald)
ive been working on this rom for about a year and a half - 2 years by myself. the purpose of my hack is to be a high quality remake, but not like the rest of the emerald hacks. mine will be as close as possible to the original (i.e. no legends in grass, no mismatch trainer types, no mismatch level in wild battles, no type mismatch in wild battles, ect, ect) SO.. all i need is a tutorial on how to insert overworld sprites WITHOUT replacing old ones, ive searched so long on how to do this and i just cant seem to find a way, if i cant learn how to do this ill have to put the missing legends in pokeballs like the beldum in emerald (which i dont wanna do :/ ).. i may have to expand the rom and thats fine by me.. if anyone can link me a good tutorial on this i would GREATLY appreciate it.. sorry for the paragraph.. idk how to make "spoilers"..

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
I was wondering if anyone could help me learn a few things for my rom hack (emerald)
ive been working on this rom for about a year and a half - 2 years by myself. the purpose of my hack is to be a high quality remake, but not like the rest of the emerald hacks. mine will be as close as possible to the original (i.e. no legends in grass, no mismatch trainer types, no mismatch level in wild battles, no type mismatch in wild battles, ect, ect) SO.. all i need is a tutorial on how to insert overworld sprites WITHOUT replacing old ones, ive searched so long on how to do this and i just cant seem to find a way, if i cant learn how to do this ill have to put the missing legends in pokeballs like the beldum in emerald (which i dont wanna do :/ ).. i may have to expand the rom and thats fine by me.. if anyone can link me a good tutorial on this i would GREATLY appreciate it.. sorry for the paragraph.. idk how to make "spoilers"..

If you have any questions or need any help with ROM Hacking, please make a thread in the Beginner's Lounge section. Any more such posts in this thread will be considered off-topic and will be deleted.

Phazon Elemental

roving snob
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
Somehow I completely forgot to post anything on this forum at all for, like, weeks.

I have been spending a LOT of time deliberating on whether or not to have the Honedge line in this (third-gen) hack that I'm working on, because I don't know if I can have an actually working Stance Change in it.

Actually, I should have a check to see if that's been done. There are a good amount of abilities that I want to introduce that I know have been reproduced in third gen. Some, though, I'm still not sure.

I've been spending way too much time sitting on my hands. What's a good way to get motivated?

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
If you find a good way to motivate yourself, please let me know :). Motivation is the bane of my ROM Hacking existence.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
The best way to get motivated is by far dream up your fantastic storyline and imagine what kind of elements you'd put inside it, especially the climax.
When you take out your checklist, though... tiles.... overworlds... graphics... new gameplay elements... you immediately get bored of it. It may help if you try to clear out your mind or something. And start viewing great hacks.

Phazon Elemental

roving snob
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
The best way to get motivated is by far dream up your fantastic storyline and imagine what kind of elements you'd put inside it, especially the climax.
When you take out your checklist, though... tiles.... overworlds... graphics... new gameplay elements... you immediately get bored of it. It may help if you try to clear out your mind or something. And start viewing great hacks.
Yeah, I think that maybe thinking of all the dumb clerical ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ is getting me a little down.

SPEAKING OF DUMB CLERICAL ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥: this one's mostly for personal reference, but these are the abilities I want to add or update for my hack. Many of these I think I've seen done for third gen but I'm not 100% sure.
Spoiler:

Guess I'd better start digging for those.

At the very least, I should transfer my progress from Emerald to FR, since I'm going to mod FR from here on. There's definitely more work that's been done on FR.

Lastly, a matter of opinion: for trade evolutions, since trading with ROMs has tended to be kind of janky as a rule, what's your preferred replacement for trade evos -- both the standard trade-only and the trade-with-item ones? Someone I know suggested having Clamperl and Slowpoke evolve by PV, which I'm... not really 100% sure of, since I'm not a huge fan of the random element.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023

That used to happen to me all the time; I would gain new ideas, which would make me very motivated to start working on a new hack, but as soon as I actually start, I'd immediately get tired and quit. :( It's what makes me, me, I suppose; what could ya do?

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Spoiler:

Guess I'd better start digging for those.

At the very least, I should transfer my progress from Emerald to FR, since I'm going to mod FR from here on. There's definitely more work that's been done on FR.

Lastly, a matter of opinion: for trade evolutions, since trading with ROMs has tended to be kind of janky as a rule, what's your preferred replacement for trade evos -- both the standard trade-only and the trade-with-item ones? Someone I know suggested having Clamperl and Slowpoke evolve by PV, which I'm... not really 100% sure of, since I'm not a huge fan of the random element.

Personality values, personally, was quite a bore for me because not only do they affect the not-so-useful Wurmple line, but it gets really annoying to get a shiny Beautifly or perfect IV'd ones by RNG or rinse-and-repeat breeding. What I would suggest is handle the Huntail-Gorebyss thing by Attack/Defense values, like how Tyrogue evolves. And normal trade evolutions are best handled by max happiness, and item-required ones by evolution stones or levelling.

The abilities you've listed, especially Sturdy could make a major impact in the game. Especially Sturdy because training in caves with rock types is going to become much more tedious lol.

That used to happen to me all the time; I would gain new ideas, which would make me very motivated to start working on a new hack, but as soon as I actually start, I'd immediately get tired and quit. :( It's what makes me, me, I suppose; what could ya do?

Haha, I feel you right there. Recently I've forced myself to work on this fantastic idea I had, but... I might as well be on the verge of quitting by now. Lots of other stuff to do and stuff.

Phazon Elemental

roving snob
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
Personality values, personally, was quite a bore for me because not only do they affect the not-so-useful Wurmple line, but it gets really annoying to get a shiny Beautifly or perfect IV'd ones by RNG or rinse-and-repeat breeding. What I would suggest is handle the Huntail-Gorebyss thing by Attack/Defense values, like how Tyrogue evolves. And normal trade evolutions are best handled by max happiness, and item-required ones by evolution stones or levelling.
I really did not like the PV idea, since it gives a little too much to the RNG. I remember catching at least three or four Wurmples before getting one that evolved into Silcoon when I was younger. As for attack v. defense, I think that would need Clamperl's base attack to equal its defense for it to be... uh, fair, I guess?

The abilities you've listed, especially Sturdy could make a major impact in the game. Especially Sturdy because training in caves with rock types is going to become much more tedious lol.
Yeah, a lot of them could affect the game a lot. Sturdy, to be fair, doesn't come up often on the player's end, unless you're, say, sitting Sawk in front of a really angry bird. I guess I just kind of want it to be useful? I can think of only one time off-hand in the main games where OHKO moves were even used at all, let alone to any significant effect. Damn Whiscash...

Years
  • Seen Dec 15, 2016
How do you feel about changing the type chart in a rom hack to something other than Gen 6? For example some hacks have things like Poison being super effective against Water or even complete overhauls. Is the balance worth the learning curve?

Also, I was strongly debating whether or not to nerf type effectiveness to x1.5 (x2.25 for x4 weaknesses) or x1.7/~x3 or even something above x2/x4. Is such a thing really a good idea (even though it probably won't be noticed by a lot of players). Can it contribute to difficulty in anyway?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
How do you feel about changing the type chart in a rom hack to something other than Gen 6? For example some hacks have things like Poison being super effective against Water or even complete overhauls. Is the balance worth the learning curve?
I personally see this as a bad idea. Just like Shinx, it would require re-learning the thing just for your hack. Same would go for adding lots of new types but I wouldn't mind having a new type or two if there weren't really any more than that.

Also, I was strongly debating whether or not to nerf type effectiveness to x1.5 (x2.25 for x4 weaknesses) or x1.7/~x3 or even something above x2/x4. Is such a thing really a good idea (even though it probably won't be noticed by a lot of players). Can it contribute to difficulty in anyway?
Depending on how you want to "create the difficulty". If you make the super effective attacks do less damage, the healing items might turn out too good unless you change their effects as well or make them obtainable later on than normally or such.

To sum it up, there are lots of ways for making a balanced game that can be difficult if you want it to be. But everytime you're feeling like making your hack act in a way that's "unexpectedable" to the player, you'll have to do it in a way that "works".

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Y'all realize XY kinda did *literally that* and the consensus seems to be that it was fine, right? It didn't even hint at it in-game either- while the game wouldn't shut up about Fairies there was pretty much no indication that hey, we buffed Dark and Ghost too. If you want to change your type chart around, go ahead, just make sure that it's logical and that you explain the changes to the player in a convenient manner.

With regards to x1.5 and x2.5 weaknesses, you can't do this as easily as you might think in gen 3- it'll work but the effectiveness messages only trigger on x2, x.5, and x0 hits. This is fairly easy to fix if you know what you're doing with ASM, but even so I'm not a huge fan of increasing the severity of weaknesses- it forces mons with the changed typing to function offensively in the AI's hands lest the player be packing something they're weak to and completely trivialize it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 15, 2016
Y'all realize XY kinda did *literally that* and the consensus seems to be that it was fine, right? It didn't even hint at it in-game either- while the game wouldn't shut up about Fairies there was pretty much no indication that hey, we buffed Dark and Ghost too. If you want to change your type chart around, go ahead, just make sure that it's logical and that you explain the changes to the player in a convenient manner.

How do you feel about changing the type chart in a rom hack to something other than Gen 6?

Oh, Gen 6's type chart was a complete failure imo. In trying to displace Dragon they buffed up Ghost to the point where it had only resistance and one immunity (and normal is a horrible type). Arguably, now it's Ghost type that's broken because despite not having a spammable move like Outrage, it combines with several attacking types for neutral coverage across the board. I'm not saying Steel shouldn't have been nerfed, but there really should be something else with a resistance against Ghost. Plus, it completely failed to give Poison-types (except maybe Mega-Venu) more viability.

With regards to x1.5 and x2.5 weaknesses, you can't do this as easily as you might think in gen 3- it'll work but the effectiveness messages only trigger on x2, x.5, and x0 hits. This is fairly easy to fix if you know what you're doing with ASM, but even so I'm not a huge fan of increasing the severity of weaknesses- it forces mons with the changed typing to function offensively in the AI's hands lest the player be packing something they're weak to and completely trivialize it.

I actually wasn't aware of the effectiveness messages triggering, so thanks. I agree that increasing the severity is too exploitable and shifts the game towards offense, which isn't really what I'd want. But I do think decreasing its effectiveness forces the player to strategize somewhat, instead of just spamming move X in gym Y.

Back