• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
I can't really eat when I've got my hand on the mouse, and I don't really snack much, though I love having music on when I'm doing things, especially mapping and scripting. Though sometimes I get so into whatever I'm doing that I don't really pay attention to the music.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
So do you guys not like it when in hacks they do stuff like putting an evolved pokemon levels under the level it evolves? Not sure if I explained that properly, so I'll just give a few examples..
A level 17 Zoroark (Zorua evolves at 30)
Level 30 Tyrantrum (Evolves later than that)

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Seriously, guys? We're talking about food? Why don't we talk about the bloody weather while we're at it.

So do you guys not like it when in hacks they do stuff like putting an evolved pokemon levels under the level it evolves? Not sure if I explained that properly, so I'll just give a few examples..

I'm totally fine with including early evolved Pokemon so long as it is a one-off event. Like if you needed to deal with a troublesome Pokemon in a forest and it turns out to be a level 15 Parasect or something. It can give the game a nice little spike in difficulty and turn something that wouldn't have been threatening into an actual challenge. I don't agree with having generic tall grass or random trainers having Pokemon being under their evolution level as that will just make everybody more powerful than they should be and make evolution conditions appear completely arbitrary. Mini-bosses/ Gym Leader can have these sorts of Pokemon in moderation but they shouldn't appear anywhere else.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
*May I butt in?*

Eh-hem, so on the topic of music - What kind of music do you guys and girls like in hacks? Do you approve of music from other games in a Pokemon hack? Do you like custom inserted music or vanilla music? If you like custom music, what games do you think are the best for getting midis from?

I enjoy throwing multiple question at you people, makes me feel good about myself~ <3

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen May 26, 2014
hey! Can you get advanced map and the script editor on IPad? I know you can get VBA on it but you can't get all of the programs needed to make a rom hack on a mac (which i have) :(

zigazav

Fanfiction writer inactive
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 20, 2017
Anybody know where the Fire Red rom hack "Pokemon Creepy Black Version" was at? I can't find it through the search option, even though I used advanced search as well. I could've sworn it was on this site...And yes, I mean "Creepy Black", based on that Pokemon Creepypasta. I already have it, I just wanted to look for any possible updates on it, as there was this wall that was blocking access to the next route of a certain town that I had to use the walk through walls cheat to continue the game further.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I hope that answers your question lol.
I'm sooooo not gonna say anything...

It's pretty stupid imo... Especially with powerhouses...
They evolve on high level because they are OP... making them available earlier kills the difficulty.

Seriously, guys? We're talking about food? Why don't we talk about the bloody weather while we're at it.
Topic: In which weather do you hack the best?
Happy now? =D

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

It's pretty stupid imo... Especially with powerhouses...
They evolve on high level because they are OP... making them available earlier kills the difficulty.
Eh...it depends. In moderation, it works, but I don't think doing it kills difficulty. Just look at the official games, they do it and they're still easy.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
How hard is it for you guys to create dialogue for non-important NPC scripts? I have a hard time since I'm not really creative so I have difficulty making up what they're gonna say.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
How hard is it for you guys to create dialogue for non-important NPC scripts? I have a hard time since I'm not really creative so I have difficulty making up what they're gonna say.

Not very difficult; usually, it's whatever that happens to be crossing my mind. xD" For example, if I'm thinking of a sport at said time or some TV show, I'll put something referencing to it. If it's a book, then I'll take a line out, rephrase it into my own words, and just compile.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
I used to have a lot of trouble trying to think of interesting NPC dialogue, but I don't find it as hard now. Dialogues I think of now are usually either advice on different elements on the game, comments on the map the NPC is in, or references to random things. I also like dialogue on a town's history or lore on the region and legendaries, I always found that interesting in games. And if you're running out of ideas, just have an NPC give you a useful item, like a Technical Machine or a hold item.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Not very difficult; usually, it's whatever that happens to be crossing my mind. xD" For example, if I'm thinking of a sport at said time or some TV show, I'll put something referencing to it. If it's a book, then I'll take a line out, rephrase it into my own words, and just compile.
Sort of the same with me. Usually, the NPC will just say whatever would run through my head in the situation.
Dialogues I think of now are usually either advice on different elements on the game, comments on the map the NPC is in, or references to random things. I also like dialogue on a town's history or lore on the region and legendaries, I always found that interesting in games. And if you're running out of ideas, just have an NPC give you a useful item, like a Technical Machine or a hold item.
I think this is the best way to it. The vanilla games use this method (mostly) and, like you said, the dialogue does end up somewhat interesting.

I don't want to wrap a conversation with that, so here's something that I've been wondering:
How do you guys deal with busy work in ROM hacking? For example, editing Pokedex entries (which takes a million years. Literally. :/) or scripting random NPCs to make your map look good finished.
Do you hold this stuff off until it's absolutely needed to go on with your hack, do you do a small amount every once in a while, etc?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023

The NPC from my hack would like to answer that question~
Spoiler:

How do you guys deal with busy work in ROM hacking? For example, editing Pokedex entries (which takes a million years. Literally. :/) or scripting random NPCs to make your map look good finished.
Do you hold this stuff off until it's absolutely needed to go on with your hack, do you do a small amount every once in a while, etc?

I do that stuff at work. :P
When I need to take a few minutes break from work, I'll edit the 'mon's entries and other things. It's like [taking a breather] from work. ^_^

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I personally try to have something going on in the background which the player hasn't heard of yet (when s/he reaches the town or such) and the townspeople usually talk about that. That way you can create interesting dialogue for the "random people" simply and what's more, talking to the people adds something to the gameplay as well.

And if I was out of ideas (for things happening in the background, history for the town that's related to how it appears today etc.) ... the NPC dialogue would turn out boring for sure.
So try to think of something that would make it interesting to talk to people. That way you can also make the player to pay attention to the NPC characters and give them a personality (although most of them wouldn't need it).

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Similar to Miksy, I tend to have them talk about something relevant to that town, or with information/items.

In terms of doing tedious things, I tend to do them bit by bit when they suddenly become important :P Like I don't sit there editing every single movepool, I'll just edit the ones that come up with the point in the hack I am up to. ie, starters, early route pokemon, some trainer pokemon.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 27, 2018
Would anyone here perhaps know how to change Stevens tag battle pokemon team in emerald? I have scoured the internet and cannot find a direct answer. :(

Years
  • Seen May 31, 2014
I've always wanted to make a ROM hack, but it's just so damn time consuming!!
I've had a few goes, with moderate success, but I've never been bothered to go through with anything I've started, as it's never really been very good..I can see that some Hacks have had years spent on them, and I really appreciate some of the work you people put into this community! :)

(This is my first ever post!!)
:p

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Do you guys like it when hacks have unique starters, like starters that aren't actually starters, or do you prefer when they use actual starters? I prefer the first option, I get really bored of using the same Pokemon.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I don't really mind. The only thing I hate about starters in hacks is if you pick a starter and then there is an event immediately after that gives you a Pokémon that makes your starter invalid. ie. you get a Shinx then there is a Pikachu event immediately after.

Back