• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I don't really mind how people deal with the trade evolutions, as long as they're not left as trade evolutions n_n.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Okay this question is mostly for Fire Red hackers, since R/S/E have a berry system, how are you making berries obtainable in your hacks? Are you making your own berry tree system, or are you just adding them around frequently as gifts or hidden in grass? I'm planning on having berries being given to the player quite often and hidden in grass patches like in FR/LG, but I'll probably have a berry shop accessible later in the game.

I like the idea of having berries obtainable on normal trees just like the overworld pokéball items, and I've also thought of implementing a very simple berry system with a general berry tree for all berries, but I'd love to have the R/S/E berry system in. Those brown patches of soil and the different colours and styles of the berry trees look beautiful and are a great addition to route maps.

Years
I think I'm going to implement berry trees using pedometers, with each stage of the berry growing for every 200 or so steps you take. I'm not really sure, though, I've only conceptualised a few parts of the entire system for my hack.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I've basically used the pokeball/overworked approach you mentioned but aiming on making them pretty abundant.

I like the inclusion of berries and so they're going to be pretty important in Fae.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
The R/S/E berry system is partly the reason I want to make my next hack on Emerald. It's just so pretty :(

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Ahh the berry system went splat in FR. Maybe a D/N system combined with special berry trees that respawn every day is in the offing. Not that Berries are going to be imp in any way in me hack. Perhaps I could fiddle with the berries (specially the contest related ones) to completely replace Potions and the like. That would be so nice to do. And so much PMD as well.

And I appreciate that you is hacking Emerald, something I never had (or will have) guts to do lel
Emerald made just about everything right from RS. And it has a few FRLG features here and there.

Years
  • Seen Dec 15, 2016
I don't think that having berries hidden in the ground is a bad idea at all if you're hacking FRLG, although there should be areas in which they can respawn. Areas which sell them is also convenient, since you only really need the status, stat, and EV berries. Pokemon holding them is another method.

Although I think hacking it to have a system similar to RSE is impressive, I'm not sure how many players would actually take advantage of this. It doesn't seem worth the effort in my opinion, although a pedometer-based system combines the more traditional system with expediency, so I like it.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Haha, my planned berry system is not all that impressive.

I'll probably make 10 OWs (or tiles?) for berry trees, five for empty/planted and five for ready to harvest. Maybe in ten or twenty irl minutes they'd regrow, and an empty berry tree can only house the berry that was originally placed in it. This minimises the script necessity and isn't really all that useful/important, so the player wouldn't really reharvest them unless he went back to the same route much later. It's just so I can boast another feature in the "Features" section of my future thread.

Berries being hidden in the ground is really a good idea, and maybe sometimes randomly found on trees (much like Hidden Grottoes). I'm obviously going to keep many berry shops around the place if I manage to implement healing properties to the unused/Pokéblock only berries. What do you think?

A pedometer is also really convenient imo but I don't really know how to implement one (I just have this D/N system lol).

That reminds me guys, some word has reached me that there exists a force male gender intro patch out there for FR. Do you guys know any around here?

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
This place is dead, so I figure I might as well get something going.

On the topic of specific ROM hacks: Pokemon Vega.
I always see people praising Vega for being such an amazing hack. The thing I don't understand is what makes it so great? I'm not trying to say it's bad or that I even know anything about it, I'm just asking if anybody has played it and also feels that the hack is one of the best/funnest.
Another thing I don't understand is how people that don't even know any Japanese think it's a legendary hack, even though they can't understand it. Is it the music? the OWs? What makes this hack so fun to play?

Last edited:

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I think it could be the music that comes into play. A lot of the music in Vega I really enjoyed... I decided to play some of this when I was waiting to get X and Y because some people told me how good a hack this was. I could only read a tiny bit... the Katakana, you see. The fakemon also gave the game more enjoyable because I wouldn't want to play a Japanese hack where it was the same pokemon from the first 3 gens and not knowing what was being said, it added variety to the game. I think I even gave some English names for some of the fakemon but I wouldn't know how to change the name space from 5 to 10.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Another thing I don't understand is how people that don't even know any Japanese think it's a legendary hack
I don't really think that's stopped anyone before in Pokemon hacking. After all, story and characters don't always make for a poplar hack in the Pokemon Rom Hacking community. Often, I see that it's the features and the included pokemon that sell the experience, and that's what Vega has. Heck, it may even have a great story and characters, but that's irrelevant in this case.

In terms of presentation, it's easily the best hack I've ever seen. It presents itself professionally and beautifully in every single possible way. The sprites are fantastic, the music is great, so on and so forth. And it may not be completely original, but it's because of how it presents itself that it sets itself apart. It feels like a hack, but it also feels like it's its own thing, and it feels confident about itself.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jun 21, 2014
two questions from the person who joined 1hr ago :3
1. are the hacks compatible with computers or are they gameboy only?
2. how do i download them if they are for comp. or where ca i buy em for gameboy?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 23, 2014
I'm currently playing trough Pokemon Ashgray ( On my PSP ) it's really cool, Everyone knows of it tough. But it follows the anime! It's not finished yet, But they finished the first season. They are now busy with the orange islands

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2016
I was supposed to make a new thread in the RomHacking section but I figured I should post here first and see what comes next. I am looking for a FireRed/LeafGreen rom hack with higher shiny chances, not ridiculous but like 1/1024 or something. I've tried searching the internet to the point I woke up watching yoga videos to calm myself down.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
We do seem to be getting a lot of "I know I'm supposed to make a thread, but I don't think my question needs one" comments here in the DCC and the RHH. I think it might be a good idea to revive the quick questions thread, because common sense kind of repels people from the idea of bloating the Beginner's Lounge with questions (even if it's not a threat)...or they just see the Hub and DCC here and post here anyway.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Lol. It's like saying free to use without permission but ask me first.

I think we need at least an 80x80 bright button that says "Need help?" and directs to the subforum, somewhat like those cool buttons we have on the main forum.

Anyway, I was just browsing through the ol' quick research thread, and I found a lot of little stuff that all added up to be really useful for me. I think documentation help out hackers much more than they think.

ps Spherical advertising your hack in your sig with random pictures ooh I'm so jelly

loop

Banned
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 24, 2014
There should be a kind of hacking-contest here, because there are many new and motivated users which might find good partners and friends.

Back