• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

́

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2010
No problem, nice to see some exploratory hacking being done. :]

After a bit of digging around in boxes I found my Flash2Advance cable, I'll grab a copy of R/S and FR/LG (possibly all) tomorrow morning.

Nodddy

Banned
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2011
No problem, nice to see some exploratory hacking being done. :]

After a bit of digging around in boxes I found my Flash2Advance cable, I'll grab a copy of R/S and FR/LG (possibly all) tomorrow morning.
This is me, I think I must have been banned for the username. :/

I managed to get a hold of both a Ruby and Fire Red cart, I dumped it before attempting to patch, but then after that I went through the procedure to patch it using Fire Red only to be greeted with a message saying that my cart didn't need to be patched.
Quite predictably they fixed the glitch in new carts, turns out over here in Europe there are two versions of the game, v1.1 and v1.2, however I could only find one version in the US, v1.0. (There not being a v1.0 in Europe)

I downloaded both versions 1.1 and 1.2 and did a file comparison and my dumped ROM came back identical to the v1.2 ROM I downloaded.
I can only assume but I believe v1.2 to be the only one with the fix already patched and that v1.1 is still prone to the glitch.

I've made two patches, one to be used on an (E) v1.1 ROM to apply the changes made in v1.2 presumably fixing the glitch, and another to be used on an (E) v1.2 ROM which will (hopefully) reverse the changes made and make it prone to glitch again:

Last edited:

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
This is me, I think I must have been banned for the username. :/

I managed to get a hold of both a Ruby and Fire Red cart, I dumped it before attempting to patch, but then after that I went through the procedure to patch it using Fire Red only to be greeted with a message saying that my cart didn't need to be patched.
Quite predictably they fixed the glitch in new carts, turns out over here in Europe there are two versions of the game, v1.1 and v1.2, however I could only find one version in the US, v1.0. (There not being a v1.0 in Europe)

I downloaded both versions 1.1 and 1.2 and did a file comparison and my dumped ROM came back identical to the v1.2 ROM I downloaded.
I can only assume but I believe v1.2 to be the only one with the fix already patched and that v1.1 is still prone to the glitch.

I've made two patches, one to be used on an (E) v1.1 ROM to apply the changes made in v1.2 presumably fixing the glitch, and another to be used on an (E) v1.2 ROM which will (hopefully) reverse the changes made and make it prone to glitch again:

Oh, my... I forgot to post, but I come to a shocking conclusion yesterday: I always knew what the Berry Glitch fixes were exactly! Confused? I was too, at first. Let me explain a bit further...

Ages ago I downloaded the various ROMs to get the respective offsets for my tools. Back then I wasn't experieced in ASM at all, yet I was intrigued about the different ROM versions. Sadly, it's not easy comparing them because most of the times they were recompiled, and basically all the offsets/pointers are different. This means comparing them is really hard and annoying at best.

Suprisingly enough, that was not the case for the non-English, European games. I'm talking about the Italian, German, French and Spanish games. All of them are available in just two versions, 1.0 and 1.1. Comparing them clearly shows little was changed. To be precise, only 4 bytes, suggesting they were just patched. The first two are in the ROM header. They are, respectively, the ROM version (changed from 0 to 1), and the header checksum which got changed due to version being updated. The latter bytes, are the actual glitch fix! To confirm that, I searched those byte patterns, and noticed all the games, in all the languages had the very same differences. And guess what? Ruby v1.2 has those changes as the other v1.1 European games do. Can't be a coincidence, right?

Oh, and Nodddy, I checked your patches. They basically confirm what I knew ;)

Anyway, now that everything is sorted, I'll make a more in-depth thread regarding the glitch, hopefully explaining why it should happen and how did they fix it, so that you can fix your own ROMs too. And maybe learn something new, in the meanwhile.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
That's great news Hackmew, but sadly it's already been found out... I once found a tool a year ago for fixing it. I think it was on zopher's domain, but don't quote me on that. guess I came in a little late though...:\

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
That's great news HackMew, but sadly it's already been found out... I once found a tool a year ago for fixing it. I think it was on zopher's domain, but don't quote me on that. guess I came in a little late though...:\

Well, no. What you're talking about is a clock fix made to emulate the RTC on flash card which don't have any. It's a totally different thing.

Anyway, thanks to a friend of mine, I was able to do some more research. FR/LG/E do check the other game linked to, and if it doesn't match the correct game code, it won't work properly. Theoretically, any FR/LG/E game, any language, can fix any R/S game, no matter the language, unless maybe Japanese. The tests were done using an EZ-Flash III card, which has a built-in RTC. Suprisingly enough, while trying to patch a Ruby US v1.0 ROM, LeafGreen said it didn't need to be patched. I came to the conclusion the game should check the RTC in the other cart and do some tests to see if everything is fine. And then eventually go on with patching.

Oh, remember those 2 bytes changed which are supposed to be the actual patch? Well, I searched the same (changed) bytes on Emerald, and I found them. Either there are way too many coincidences, or I am right.

On the topic of the Berry Glitch, Emerald is unaffected. At least, that's what Nintendo claims.
My Emerald game (official US version cart) has been frozen on the same day for years now. I think the clock in my room still moves forwards, but I can't do any daily events, and berries don't grow. I don't get a 'battery has run dry' message when I start it up, so it's most likely nothing to do with that.
Could this be caused by a similar problem to the R/S berry glitch? If a fix is found for R/S hacks, would it be possible to use that to find out what happens in Emerald, and possibly fix it?

Quoting again. Would you mind checking if the clock in your room still work? And have you got any cheating devices, perhaps?
Also, about the fix... turned out Emerald has the fix as Nintendo claimed, apparently. Read above.

Last edited:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
I Figured out how to fix the title screen glitche.

I am not sure If I should post this in the Documents and tutorial section since it is awfully small and there are no images but you really don't need any.
but I don't want this data to be lost and only seen by a couple of people so if a mod see this and thinks it is okay to be posted in the Documents and tutorial section please VM me, I greatly appreciated it. XD

Hey guys, I am here to show a cool find.
I figured this out while I was changing the title screen, and experimenting with unzls.
Many people have a problem when inserting a lot of tiles to use for there title screens.
They get four weird blocks in the bottom left hand corner.
some people tried covering it up, but it is obvious to most hackers.
Okay, well if you ask most people how to fix this problem they will say two things, use less tiles and break up your image in spear.
now this is nice and all but some people don't like spear and some times the glitch still happens.
Well there is a way to completely get rid of this, and I would feel terrible to keep this to myself.
okay so open Unlz and go to 131(It may be slightly different for your rom, click "+" or "-" until you see the glitch.
Just to make sure your at the right spot make sure the Image Offset is 03BF58C.
Now save the image on your desktop, then open it in MS paint, or pixel editor alternative.
Now make the whole image the first pallet( The first pallet is always the transparent pallet)
Now go back to unlz and import the image and click wright to rom (It shouldn't be larger but for some reason it is just open FSF and re point the image.)
Now your done :) The whole glitch is now transparent so you won't see it, try it for your self's; if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Omega Zero

Is back...
Years
I am not sure If I should post this in the Documents and tutorial section since it is awfully small and there are no images but you really don't need any.
but I don't want this data to be lost and only seen by a couple of people so if a mod see this and thinks it is okay to be posted in the Documents and tutorial section please VM me, I greatly appreciated it. XD

Hey guys, I am here to show a cool find.
I figured this out while I was changing the title screen, and experimenting with unzls.
Many people have a problem when inserting a lot of tiles to use for there title screens.
They get four weird blocks in the bottom left hand corner.
some people tried covering it up, but it is obvious to most hackers.
Okay, well if you ask most people how to fix this problem they will say two things, use less tiles and break up your image in spear.
now this is nice and all but some people don't like spear and some times the glitch still happens.
Well there is a way to completely get rid of this, and I would feel terrible to keep this to myself.
okay so open Unlz and go to 131(It may be slightly different for your rom, click "+" or "-" until you see the glitch.
Just to make sure your at the right spot make sure the Image Offset is 03BF58C.
Now save the image on your desktop, then open it in MS paint, or pixel editor alternative.
Now make the whole image the first pallet( The first pallet is always the transparent pallet)
Now go back to unlz and import the image and click wright to rom (It shouldn't be larger but for some reason it is just open FSF and re point the image.)
Now your done :) The whole glitch is now transparent so you won't see it, try it for your self's; if you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Wow :O that's great news i'm gonna use that very soon

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011

Wow :O that's great news i'm gonna use that very soon

I wonder what's so great about it... Fact is, you shouldn't get those "four weird blocks" in first place. If you do, you did something wrong.
Finding workarounds is not really a good idea.

Do you see any of those blocks in Oro Sole's title screen? Of course not.
And I didn't make them transparent or something, mind you. They're just not there.

Years
I think it's because of some tutorial - DawnRyder's, I think - which tells you how to insert 32-bit graphics into your titlescreen, but it makes those four blocks. I can't see why you'd need that many colours, though, anyway - people'll see the titlescreen for, like, five seconds; it doesn't need to be Mona Lisa-tier art. :/

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
I think it's because of some tutorial - DawnRyder's, I think - which tells you how to insert 32-bit graphics into your titlescreen, but it makes those four blocks. I can't see why you'd need that many colours, though, anyway - people'll see the titlescreen for, like, five seconds; it doesn't need to be Mona Lisa-tier art. :/

I think you meant 31+1 colors. Definitely not 32-bit colors. I used less colors, yet it looks perfectly fine.
If the tutorial suggests to force the game display something it wasn't meant to, well... pretty glitch-prone, indeed.
Oh, and I'm still interested about the Berry Glitch anyway.

I've got a new topic: cheapness. First came the ROM Raiders team. And then:

• ROM Rescuers Team
  • The Rom Sovereigns
  • Rom Kitty, Inc.
  • ROM Burners Corp.
  • Rom Tempest Crew
  • ROM[freezers]
  • Rom Indignation
  • ROM Hyckerz
  • ROM Reaverz Hacking Team
  • ROM Architects
The list above is no way meant to be complete, nor follows any particular order.
But... come on! Squeeze your brain a little bit harder.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
I've got a new topic: cheapness. First came the ROM Raiders team. And then:

• ROM Rescuers Team
  • The Rom Sovereigns
  • Rom Kitty, Inc.
  • ROM Burners Corp.
  • Rom Tempest Crew
  • ROM[freezers]
  • Rom Indignation
  • ROM Hyckerz
  • ROM Reaverz Hacking Team
  • ROM Architects
The list above is no way meant to be complete, nor follows any particular order.
But... come on! Squeeze your brain a little bit harder.
What did you expect? we see that in real life as well. But you can't do anything about it, sadly. ROM is a word that refers to what they hack. It's their loss really, because everyone that has a brain knows where they rip-off from.
The funny thing is, that everyone can think of a nice name, but they just don't want to try.
For example, it only took two minutes for me while posting this to figure out a name for a team thread (IF I had one): Spellcasters. And a slogan? Sure. "For Hacks Magically Enhanced". It might not be good, but it's original.
So, in the end, it's just people being lazy/busy and all. Besides, those two reasons lead to a bad-quality hack, NOT inexperience.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Actually the fix for not getting the 'title screen glitch' is to not much your tileset too big. I can't remember what the limit was exactly; but the real fix is to remove all your duplicate tiles. Either manually or using the Sphere editor system. Then your title screen will be 'perfect' so to speak.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
actually the glitch a cures when the game tells it to use a certain tile number; So throw testing I conclude that after a certain amount of tiles, no matter where it may be the glitch will appear. taking out the duplicate tiles decrease the amount of tiles, but even doing that you may have too many tiles.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
What did you expect? we see that in real life as well. But you can't do anything about it, sadly. ROM is a word that refers to what they hack. It's their loss really, because everyone that has a brain knows where they rip-off from.
The funny thing is, that everyone can think of a nice name, but they just don't want to try.
For example, it only took two minutes for me while posting this to figure out a name for a team thread (IF I had one): Spellcasters. And a slogan? Sure. "For Hacks Magically Enhanced". It might not be good, but it's original.
So, in the end, it's just people being lazy/busy and all. Besides, those two reasons lead to a bad-quality hack, NOT inexperience.

I didn't expect anything. I was just introducing it. And I didn't really want to focus on "ROM", rather on "ROM [something here]s/z". Clearly they follow the same pattern. I mostly agree on the reasons, anyway.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
I didn't expect anything. I was just introducing it. And I didn't really want to focus on "ROM", rather on "ROM [something here]s/z". Clearly they follow the same pattern. I mostly agree on the reasons, anyway.
I said that because they were prolly copying your name.

But since we're talking about cheapness here, we might as well not limit ourselves onto this incident.
May I present to you, the fable circle of cheapness, in a three-person network:

1. Person A creates something original, that becomes popular and/or successful.
  2. Person B, who longs for success, but lacks time/appetite, creates something else, which might be similar to A's creation, or even almost identical, but is still presented as B's work.
  3. The closer B's work is identical to A's work, the bigger the fuss that is created. A conflict begins with mental rights as subject.
  4. The preponderating person wins (it's usually A), and the other person retreats.
  5. A new person (C) creates something new, or original.
  6. The losing player (A or B) will try to copy them in order to regain the success.
  7. The fable circle goes on like this.
At least, that happens in real life. In rom hacking, I suppose it's limited to concept stealing, etc. But sadly, it's more open and less strict in here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back