• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Tutoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Well, matching up nationality could work but what if your, like me, one of the only Australians on the board?

There are tons of Australians on the forums. I can name five hackers off of the top of my head.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    am i accepted or like always was my post passed over
    I usually update at the end of the day, with a note at the bottom that says "updating". Also, I'm not going to notify you if you are accepted; the only time I will mention a Student form in my post will be if it was not accepted.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    But Banjora Marxvile brought up an interesting point; what if the Tutors just approached a student they wanted, without me really setting anything up? Well, okay, that could work. But, again, discrimination here; people are bound to be left out. And, some of the lazier Tutors (like myself :x) could just sit around and not pick a student for a while, if they wanted. Perhaps I should make a rule that says a Tutor must have a Student every so often before getting booted off of the Tutor listings? Again, I'm not sure.

People will eventually get left out anyway. Even if we did a random draw, people are bound to get left out. I agree about the rule. It should be enforced, as it will actually make people make decisions, about attitude, who they think it is better to teach. If people picked... Actually, this adds another little idea to my mind. How about to know when our student has learnt enough, we give them tests for our area, set by us, the tutors? If they pass, they have learnt enough (easy for Tile Insertion, may be harder for others...), and if not, well... More teaching.

Anyway, if you are so lazy, why become a tutor... That actually is a good point. Before accepting Tutors, why not do background checks, learn about what they are like. If they are too lazy, we don't have them? May make finding tutors harder, but who wants a lazy, unenthusiastic tutor?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    People will eventually get left out anyway. Even if we did a random draw, people are bound to get left out. I agree about the rule. It should be enforced, as it will actually make people make decisions, about attitude, who they think it is better to teach. If people picked... Actually, this adds another little idea to my mind. How about to know when our student has learnt enough, we give them tests for our area, set by us, the tutors? If they pass, they have learnt enough (easy for Tile Insertion, may be harder for others...), and if not, well... More teaching.

Anyway, if you are so lazy, why become a tutor... That actually is a good point. Before accepting Tutors, why not do background checks, learn about what they are like. If they are too lazy, we don't have them? May make finding tutors harder, but who wants a lazy, unenthusiastic tutor?

Yeah, it would probably happen. :/

Okay, so you think the tutors should pick the students? You know, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. It's really about the tutor-student relationship; allowing the tutors to just come and select a student they want will probably give them an ideal start, and end well. How long should the time limit (before being booted off of the tutor listings) be, though? A week? Two weeks? I think a week sounds alright, but I'd like to hear other people's input.

About the testing.. well, that's totally up to you. A cool part about this (or at least, I think so) is that each of the tutors will have different teaching styles, rather than teaching the same bland thing in the same method every time. This will build diversity, and will hopefully begin a more unique generation of hackers. So, it's your option for what to do when you feel that your student has accomplished what they need to; you can test them if you like, or you can simply tell me they graduated. It's all up to you on that one, bud. ;3

Background checks? I don't know, maybe. I dunno how that would work at all, though. :/

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Yeah, it would probably happen. :/

Okay, so you think the tutors should pick the students? You know, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. It's really about the tutor-student relationship; allowing the tutors to just come and select a student they want will probably give them an ideal start, and end well. How long should the time limit (before being booted off of the tutor listings) be, though? A week? Two weeks? I think a week sounds alright, but I'd like to hear other people's input.

About the testing.. well, that's totally up to you. A cool part about this (or at least, I think so) is that each of the tutors will have different teaching styles, rather than teaching the same bland thing in the same method every time. This will build diversity, and will hopefully begin a more unique generation of hackers. So, it's your option for what to do when you feel that your student has accomplished what they need to; you can test them if you like, or you can simply tell me they graduated. It's all up to you on that one, bud. ;3

Background checks? I don't know, maybe. I dunno how that would work at all, though. :/

I'd say a limit would be... 1 week. Seems right to me.

Background checks are simple. Most tutors will have people who they have worked for, or are friends. We ask them about this person, whether they are on-time with deadlines, what they are like. then you know the person from anothers eyes. I'd stick to old hack leaders, as friends can be biased.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    That's the thing I'm having the most troubles with right now; how to match them up? Really, just getting a student and Tutor that pair for the same subject is all that I really need to do, but there's a little more to it to that. Look at it from this point of view:

If I rapidly send PMs to all of the Tutors whenever a new Student signs up, it will be.. annoying, mostly. Not only is it boring to type all of that, but to have an alert whenever someone new joins up will sort of get repetitive, and eventually it will be ignored. Not to mention, what if I sent a PM to everyone about one guy, but three or four of the tutors accepted him/her? What do I do then? Should I just pick one randomly?

But, say I take it slow, and send them a PM maybe once a week, of all of the Students in each category that they are tutoring; it's got the same problems, just a little bit less extreme. If one student looks like he'd perform well in the class, and every single tutor picks him, what should I say? Is it just going to be the tutor that responded first that gets 'em? Then it might turn into a sort of competition, where if you want someone, you gotta reply fast. But that also leaves the unwanted people out of the deal; I mean, sorry, but there are various people that will probably sign up, and just look like they're not going to end up anywhere, so no one's going to want to pick them. Then they're going to be on that third post there forever, which is not what I'm aiming for.

I would say PMs are a big no-no. First, they wouldn't be practical. Second, they might be ignored. Third, what if there's a Database error and/or the tutor is not logged in?

To me, the best solution would be a sort of "Tutorwatch" for the students to:
    • see the tutors that are currently online
    • see which tutors for a certain subject are currently online
    • see how many students each tutor is teaching at the moment

But Banjora Marxvile brought up an interesting point; what if the Tutors just approached a student they wanted, without me really setting anything up? Well, okay, that could work. But, again, discrimination here; people are bound to be left out. And, some of the lazier Tutors (like myself :x) could just sit around and not pick a student for a while, if they wanted. Perhaps I should make a rule that says a Tutor must have a Student every so often before getting booted off of the Tutor listings? Again, I'm not sure.

So, as you all can see, this is really just the problem right now: how to hook the Tutors and Students up efficiently? If anyone has any good ideas or input on these suggestions, I'm open.

Yeah, the tutors should choose the student(s). About the time limit... I think a week is a bit too less. One might be busy, or away or something, and it wouldn't be nice to come back and discover you're been booted out. Of course that was just an example. Two weeks seems better, but of course, if the tutor can provide a valid reason, the time limit might be ignored for such special cases.

Tutors shouldn't be lazy at all, indeed. I agree about the background checks, but that leads to the problem of having objective opinions about the tutors though. As it was said friends can be biased.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2009
    Username/Internet Alias: mametama123
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Mtama
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account, although email is just as good): PM on Poke Comunnity
    What you are interested in learning (you may only choose TWO AT MAX):Simple Scripting and Spriting (Other)
    Timezone:
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]: 1:00 to 2:00 Pm Eastern Time
    Interests:Pokemon and Books
    Looking for a specific Tutor? (I can attempt to hook you up; however, that is not guaranteed): No thank you, I'm fine with anyone.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I would say PMs are a big no-no. First, they wouldn't be practical. Second, they might be ignored. Third, what if there's a Database error and/or the tutor is not logged in?

To me, the best solution would be a sort of "Tutorwatch" for the students to:
    • see the tutors that are currently online
    • see which tutors for a certain subject are currently online
    • see how many students each tutor is teaching at the moment

Yeah, that makes sense. A.. "Tutorwatch"? I don't know how that would come about (or work), but it sounds interesting, and probably useful.

Yeah, the tutors should choose the student(s). About the time limit... I think a week is a bit too less. One might be busy, or away or something, and it wouldn't be nice to come back and discover you're been booted out. Of course that was just an example. Two weeks seems better, but of course, if the tutor can provide a valid reason, the time limit might be ignored for such special cases.
    I think I said something about the tutors telling me if they are going to be absent, or busy. It's just if the tutor doesn't take responsibility to come inform me that they can't pick up anyone that week, then they'll probably be booted. Of course, I'll check the profile and see when the last time was that they were on PC; if it was a while ago, I could give them some time to tell me why they haven't been on (if there have been natural disasters, loss of internet connection, etc.); possibly two weeks to a month.

Tutors shouldn't be lazy at all, indeed. I agree about the background checks, but that leads to the problem of having objective opinions about the tutors though. As it was said friends can be biased.

Well, I tried to get something along the lines of that by having a fifty percent approval from the current tutors. :/

0d'

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2014
    Username/Internet Alias: 0d, ZERO D, wnnb
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Odi
    Means of contact: [email protected]
    What you are interested in learning Advanced scripting, Spriting (OW)
    Timezone: UTC + 1:00 hour : Brussels, Copenhagen, Madrid, Paris
    What times you can be tutored: when can you teach me ? :) depends of you, I think I'm already asking too much to have a tutor and do not pay. I'm not sayin' that I'm gonna pay anyone in here. I'm just thankful.
    Interests:
    Looking for a specific Tutor?

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
    Username/Internet Alias: 0d, ZERO D, wnnb
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Odi
    What you are interested in learning Advanced scripting, Spriting (OW)
    Timezone: UTC + 1:00 hour : Brussels, Copenhagen, Madrid, Paris
    What times you can be tutored: when can you teach me ? :) depends of you, I think I'm already asking too much to have a tutor and do not pay. I'm not sayin' that I'm gonna pay anyone in here. I'm just thankful.
    Interests:
    Looking for a specific Tutor?
    Have you been here for a month.....
    Nope, read the standards before you post please
    wait until it's august and you should be able to become a student
    (The rules specifically state that you have be at pc for at least 1 month)

0d'

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2014
    sorry...
    what a douche am I ?
    well, doesn't matter. I'll wait.

Years
    Username/Internet Alias:Neorampage
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by:Neo
    What you are interested in learning:Spriting and advanced scripting

Timezone:GMT+1
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]:Right now: almost every day until 22:30-ish. I may have to play another game..

Interests:Liiike playing online games like world of warcraft hacking fire red.. That kinda stuff..

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Username/Internet Alias:Neorampage
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by:Neo
    What you are interested in learning:Spriting and advanced scripting
    Timezone:GMT+1
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]:Right now: almost every day until 22:30-ish. I may have to play another game..
    Interests:Liiike playing online games like world of warcraft hacking fire red.. That kinda stuff..

Forgive me if I am wrong, but i think you need to show proof of Basic Scripting Knowledge I think to be tutored at Advanced Scripting.

Years
    I would like to change my form if that is okay. The only change is I don't need a tutor for 2nd gen, as I have moved my interest to 3rd gen now.

<;STUDENT FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias: Bl00dyBizkitz
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: BB
    Means of contact
    Skype-Bl00dyBizkitz
    [email protected]
    What you are interested in learning Simple Mapping, Simple Scripting
    Timezone: Central Standard Time GMT -6
    What times you can be tutored Again Virtually anytime is fine with me.
    Interests: My Youtube Account, Video Games, Hacking
    Looking for a specific Tutor? No specific tutor. Just someone who can get me started.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years
    Already a student for scripting but I want to learn the ELF Method
    Username/Internet Alias:Archon (changing it to Aljam66 in august)
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by:Allen or Aljam
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account, although email is just as good): [email protected]
    What you are interested in learning: (Music and Music Insertion [ELF method]
    Timezone:Eastern Time (US & Canada)
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]: Evening: around 5pm-1am
    Interests: Rom Hacking, guitar, WoW, and video games
    Looking for a specific Tutor? (I can attempt to hook you up; however, that is not guaranteed): No one in particular

Karundo111

Get a Karundo idea today!
    Years
    Username/Internet Alias: Karundo111
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Phil
    What you are interested in learning: Simple Scripting
    Timezone:AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time)
    What times you can be tutored: Friday (4:00pm-11:00pm) Saturday (5:00pm-11:00pm)
    Interests: Well, i'm starting to get into making youtube vids and I also like playing Homebrew.
    Looking for a specific Tutor? No, not really, anyone will do fine!

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
    is there any students that need to be tutored? maybe? O.o

well, guessing that I haven;t gotten any notification I'm pretty much guessing that there isn't

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back