• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Tutoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    NOTE: ALL STUDENTS FROM THIS POINT ON MUST HAVE BEEN AT PC FOR AT LEAST A MONTH. NEW TUTORS MUST HAVE BEEN AT PC FOR AT LEAST 3 MONTHS, OR SHOW EXCEPTIONAL SKILL AT THEIR SUBJECT.

You may now continue reading this random block of text I wrote.

After hours of searching, you finally set foot on a gravel path. The road is choppy, and missing sections here and there. As you walk further along the road, it begins to become smooth, and you pick up a stride. Eventually, the road becomes a fully paved street, and you're sprinting down it. Far in the distance, you can make out mountains, surrounding a city full of noises, confusion, and busy people.

When you reach the end of the road, you find that there are large, black gates blocking your entrance into the city. "Hey, you," an nondescript person calls from behind. "Fill out this registration, and you can come on in." You do so, and then the black gates open, to the one and only home of ROM Hacking; Emula Town*.

All around the city, people are bustling from place to place, most of them congregated in a fenced garden. A large sign inside the garden proclaims "Scrapbox". Off to the left of the Scrapbox is a huge building; a vibrant "PH" adorns the top. You pull over one of the people randomly walking by, and ask what "PH" is. "Oh, so you don't know?" the man squeaks. "It's short for the Progressing Hacks building! They say that if you get good enough to get into there, you're viable to win competitions! That's what everyone in there is working to get at," he continues, motioning at the Scrapbox. You walk up to the Progressing Hacks building, trying to see the top when you notice something behind it. Taking a quick shortcut around the PH building, you find yourself in what some would call a haven of sorts; there are fountains everywhere, and green grass is abundant. A few dedicated and professional-looking people sit at nice-looking benches, either relaxing or typing away madly at laptops. A small sign attached to a tree reads, "Hacks Showcase Haven".

The Hacks Showcase Haven definitely seems to be the place you want to be. You get ready to jump over the fence, but all of a sudden, someone grabs your shoulder. "You must have a hack that meets the requirements before entering," he says, pointing over to another sign. Looking over the sign, it seems that you must work on a hack before you can even think about stepping inside. But where to begin?

You ask the weird man where to go next. "Ah," he says. "There's a decent place I found for getting started; it's right over there." he states, nodding his head towards the midst of the town. You walk over there to find a small shack, with the words "Tutoring" scrawled all over the doorway. Eager, you step inside..

* Please do not steal the concept of Emula Town (pun on Emula-tion. Get it? No, I know it wasn't funny. :/), thanks.

So, eager to get into the Hacks Showcase? There are obviously a lot of things you have to do beforehand, the most important one being producing a good beta, one with enough length to get in (up to the equivalent of two gyms). But there are quite a few stepping stones that are in the way of that; and everyone's bound to miss one of those stepping stones.

You see, there are many different aspects of hacking. Some people have trouble with different parts. So, I've decided to come up with a solution for this: Tutoring.

Yes, I already know that we have a Simple Questions thread, and other similar threads. However, the concept of this is a bit more.. one-on-one, per say. I think it would help tremendously if someone who was inept at mapping could have the advice of an expert mapper, etc.

But advice can only go so far. Instead, I'd rather have something where the tutor and student can work together. Watch each other map, sprite, whatever. I found a program that might help us out there a bit, but more on that in a moment.

Now, what exactly are we looking at? I mean, there are so many different things you can do with hacking.. but I've tried to sum them up in a few choice categories, as shown below.

1. Simple Mapping
    This is basically defined as beginning mapping. You should only apply for this category if you're not understanding what certain things mean (i.e. border blocks, etc), or if your are having trouble making even an ordinary map.
    2. Advancing Mapping
    So, you've got the basics down, but you just can't seem to improve? Or, you're having some trouble producing maps that look different from one another? This is for you.
    3. Simple Scripting
    Just like Simple Mapping, this is only for you if you cannot manage to even get a grasp of the scripting ideas. Some topics that will be discussed here are things like: making a talking script, making a giveitem script, setting flags, etc.
    4. Advancing Scripting
    A thorough understanding of scripting is recommended. Things covered here will include but not be limited to things such as Special commands, variables, and setmaptile.
    5. Spriting (OW)
    There are many people out here that can't sprite for their lives (including myself ^^), so here's a good place to get started. Both Spriting (OW) and Spriting (Other) are considered to be at the same level, so you do not have to have a whole lot of knowledge on the topic beforehand (although, yes, you do have to know what a sprite is).
    6. Spriting (Other)
    As with Spriting (OW), no real basic knowledge is needed here. Things covered here are mostly Trainer/Pokemon sprites, although there may be others included as well.
    7. Graphical Hacking (unLZ.gba)
    unLZ.gba, without a doubt, is one of the most important tools in a graphics-heavy hack. However, it seems to me that quite a few people are finding it hard to accomplish things with unLZ. It is recommended that you have at least attempted to work with unLZ before, and have read a couple of tutorials on the subject.
    8. Graphical Hacking (Tiles and Palettes)
    Tile insertion and palette editing is covered here; it is recommended that you have, at the very least, read a tutorial about it. This also includes learning how to use APE, an excellent palette editor.
    9. Other Aspects (Storylines)
    Are you encountering problems working with your storylines? Do you just hate your own concept? Look here for people willing to work with you on creating a storyline unique to your hack.
    10. Other Aspects (Music and Music Insertion)
    This is where we work on the musical aspect of hacking. It is recommended that you have at least read Magnius' tutorial, and that you have Sappy and other necessary programs installed and working on your computer.

Well, then, now that we have a basic grasp of the ten areas, we'll move on to the Tutor and Student application forms. Before that, though, I have to discuss some things about becoming Tutors..

In order to be a Tutor, you have to be a member of PC for at least three months, or show exceptional skill in the subject of choice. The three-month limit is to show that you at least know what you're doing at the community. To become a full-fledged Tutor, you must be approved by fifty percent of the existing Tutors of that subject (for now, as we technically have no Tutors, they will be accepted upon my judgment). Tutors must be active, have some free time in order to assist students, and be generally open-minded. It's also good to be a friendly person in general.

You must also have at least two hours' free time (consecutive hours) during the week that you can work with a student. You must also access PC at least once every forty-eight hours; (in order to vote on incoming Tutors, etc.) and fill out the following application form. You can post the form here, or you can PM it to me. If you decide to PM, I would still like you to make a post here saying that you have done so.

<;TUTOR FORM;>

Username/Internet Alias:
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by:
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account; although e-mail is just as good):
    What you are interested in Tutoring for:
    Proof of Work (For each subject you would like to Tutor; five examples max, at least three):
    Timezone:
    What times you can be tutoring (day, time):
    Interests (things you like; used to build a compatible pair, and attempt to make friends):
    Graduation? (If you have graduated from another Tutor, please note that here so I may confirm):
    How many students can you handle at once? (one to three; if you can only take on one at a time, that is perfectly fine):
    ---

Now, Students. You are required to have been at PC for at least a month; take some time to look around the ROM Hacking forums a bit. There is a lot less to go over here, although if you are applying for an advanced class (i.e. Advancing Mapping), you may find it in your interest to include some proof of work. It is also a good idea to use proper grammar.

<;STUDENT FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias:
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by:
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account, although email is just as good)
    What you are interested in learning (you may only choose TWO AT MAX):
    Timezone:
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]:
    Interests:
    Looking for a specific Tutor? (I can attempt to hook you up; however, that is not guaranteed):
    ---

Now that we're done with that, I'd like to say a few more things. First, any Tutor has the right to deny an application for a disclosed reason. I apologize if that happens, and I will attempt to set you up with another Tutor. They are offering their free time and will to help out the community, so I will not force them into anything. Also, if a Tutor is going to be absent for a period of time over 48 hours, please notify me or post in this thread, so that I don't attempt to reach you when I cannot.

If you are uncomfortable with your Student/Tutor at any time, please contact me. For Students, I can probably set you up with another Tutor; or you may receive priority for the next open one.

The only reward that is expected from the Student after the tutoring session is to post around the community, help other people struggling with hacking, and personally thank the Tutor with a nice PM or the like. Giving the Tutor some positive Reputation is also a good idea (just be sure to note that the Reputation is for the Tutoring).

Also, you may have forgotten about my program that I had found earlier? Well, that's an interesting application called TeamViewer. It is a perfectly safe program that allows desktop sharing from long distances (don't worry; if you think that the other person is going to do something bad, you can boot him/her away. Not only that, but I don't believe that they can really do anything to your computer but move your mouse and type onto your screen). I advise all to use it; it will make everything much more integrated, and will hopefully make you understand what the Tutor is doing.

To be fair, if you are using TeamViewer, all interactions should be on the Student's desktop. Again, these tutors are all doing this on their free will; I do not want to disclose their privacy (i.e. IM conversations, etc.).

Any questions? If you have one, don't be afraid to ask it (of course unless it was already stated above :x)

Last edited:

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
    Seems like you finally post this.
    It seems very well planned out.
    And I hope this thread goes well~

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Current Tutor Listing

Free Tutors; 4

44tim44
    Tutoring: Simple Mapping, Spriting (both)
    Timezone: GMT+1
    Free times: 15:00 to 18:00
    Current Students: unavailable

ageangel
    Tutoring: Other Aspects (Music and Music Insertion)
    Timezone: UTC+8
    Free times: 06:00 onward
    Current Students: none

Alice.
    Tutoring: Simple Scripting, Advancing Scripting, Graphical Hacking (both), Spriting (OW)
    Timezone: GMT
    Free times: 19:00 to 02:00 every day
    Current Students: Banjora Marxvile

amtrax
    Tutoring: Simple Mapping
    Timezone: GMT+13
    Free times: 15:00 to 21:00, presumably everyday
    Current Students: Ashitaka

Atlus
    Tutoring: Simple Mapping, Advancing Mapping, Simple Scripting
    Timezone: UTC-5 (that's what PC says, anyways :3)
    Free times: I live on the computer. So, for now, basically anytime, anywhere.

Banjora Marxvile
    Tutoring: Graphical Hacking (Tiles and Palettes)
    Timezone: UTC+1
    Free times: varies
    Current Students: JohnPaulJones (I'm pretty sure)

Charon the Ferryman
    Tutoring: Other Aspects (Music and Music Insertion [ELF method]
    Timezone: EST
    Free times: 9:00 to 20:00, excluding weekends
    Current Students: None

Chibi Robo
    Tutoring: Other Spriting
    Timezone: US Pacific; GMT-8
    Free times: 20:00 to 22:00 every day

Fan King
    Tutoring: Simple Scripting, Advancing Scripting
    Timezone: PST
    Free times: 16:00 to 19:00, various days

megiddo
    Tutoring: Advancing Scripting
    Timezone: US Mountain; GMT-7
    Free times: 20:00 to 21:00, all week
    Current Students: Lyzo

Samike360
    Timezone: US Eastern; GMT-5
    Free times: 17:00 to 22:00
    Current Students: unavailable

Surf
    Timezone: AEDT +10 (not exactly sure what that converts to >>)
    Free times: varies
    Current Students: amtrax, Arcues9948, Colorful Summer (soon)

---

Current Student Listing; your name will be removed when I find a tutor
    -organized by section-

1. Simple Mapping
    2. Advancing Mapping
    none
    3. Simple Scripting
    4. Advancing Scripting (note: editing your post to include some Proof of Work is not necessary, but extremely beneficial to you)
    5. Spriting (OW)
    6. Spriting (Other)
    7. Graphical Hacking (unLZ.gba)
    8. Graphical Hacking (Tiles and Palettes)
    9. Other Aspects (Storylines)
    10. Other Aspects (Music and Music Hacking)
    none

Last edited:

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
    Username/Internet Alias: Chibi Robo

Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Max
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account; although e-mail is just as good): [email protected]

What you are interested in Tutoring for: Spriting (Other), Simple Mapping
    Proof of Work (Five examples max, at least three):
    ROM Hacking Tutoring ROM Hacking Tutoring ROM Hacking Tutoring
    Map

Timezone: Pacific Standard

What times you can be tutoring (day, time): All week, 8:00 - 10:00

Interests (things you like; used to build a compatible pair, and attempt to make friends): Stand Up Comedy, Lemonaid, spriting, Sum 41 and linkin Park

Graduation? (If you have graduated from another Tutor, please note that here so I may confirm): No :3

How many students can you handle at once? (one to three; if you can only take on one at a time, that is perfectly fine): 1-2 at a time

And Im done~​

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    What you are interested in Tutoring for: Spriting (Other), Simple Mapping
    Proof of Work (Five examples max, at least three):
    ROM Hacking Tutoring ROM Hacking Tutoring ROM Hacking Tutoring
    Map

As Alice. said, you have to provide at least three examples. I'm going to edit the form so that it says "at least three for each", to make it more obvious.

Also, if you don't want too many people to see your personal information, you may PM me the form, and post here simply stating that you have sent in a registration. :3

Edit: Ah, didn't have my proxy on, so I didn't see the sprites. You are accepted as an Other Spriter, but not Simple Mapper as you don't have three examples. :D

Last edited:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    Well, no offense but your tiles wouldn't be good enough to tutor someone. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that looping should be there. But then again, it's hard enough without looping.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    is making tiles considered one of the skills??
    because i can only see tile insertion and pallete editing....
    {maybe i am wrong}

Edit:sorry for asking too many question but is music insertion includes inserting loop music???

Making tiles would probably be considered Spriting (Other).

Yes, it does.

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
    Years
    Well, no offense but your tiles wouldn't be good enough to tutor someone. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that looping should be there. But then again, it's hard enough without looping.
    lol...i only ask about them..I did not even say i want to apply for the tutor of tile making.I myself am learning how to make tiles an constantly improving.lol...
    Sorry if this is offtopic Atlus but just want to know about them..

Vednix

:D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    Ok. Student Time :P

Username/Internet Alias: Vednix, Or Devlin if you prefer.
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Devlin (not real name)
    Means of contact: MSN, My Email: [email protected]
    What you are interested in learning: Spriting (Other) (Preferably trainer making)
    Timezone: When I come home from school, which will be about 4pm in England time. In two weeks it will be most of the time of the day, but some days I wont be here due to Work Experience.
    What times you can be tutored: Day, becuase I'm not allowed on at Night. BUt not like 7 in the morning.
    Interests: It would be nice to make my own Trainers and pokemon. It would benefit a lot in my Hacks.
    Looking for a specific Tutor?: No.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Username/Internet Alias: Banjora Marxvile
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Marx
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account, although email is just as good): I'll PM it to my tutor, or whoever requires it please, I like to keep hidden.
    What you are interested in learning: Scripting (both basic and advanced)
    Timezone: UTC +1 (Western Europe - London) (Time now is 16:53)
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]: Umm... from 16:30 UTC +1 to 21:00 UTC +1
    Interests: Insects, puzzles.
    Looking for a specific Tutor? (I can attempt to hook you up; however, that is not guaranteed): Don't know, don't care.

Tristin1991

BeginerTrainerTristin!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2009
    Username/Internet Alias:Tristin1991
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by:Tristin
    What you are interested in learning:how to script
    Timezone:windsor ontario time zone
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]:monday and tuesday monday all day and tuesday till 6:00PM
    Interests:?????????

oh and uh canyou help me hack pkmn platnim ROM? i dont ahve thesimulator or rom or anything for it i've been hre for a week

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]:monday and tuesday monday all day and tuesday till 6:00PM

oh and uh canyou help me hack pkmn platnim ROM? i dont ahve thesimulator or rom or anything for it i've been hre for a week

This is not acceptable, for a couple of reasons. a) you have no contact method, and b) you have not been here a week. As amazing as I am, I can check these things, and you only joined yesterday. :/
    Also, if you actually had been around here, you would realize that hacking Platinum, along with DP, is out of reach for a lot of hackers. So, no.

As for you other two, I will find you a tutor as soon as we have a couple more (anyone who thinks they can tutor, please help out. That'd be great. ;3).

Oh, another note. All of the tutors have 48 hours to respond to me, at the latest, and I will try to work with three tutors (that's six days), before I have to decline your Student entry. So, give us at least a week to process your request, although it could certainly go through faster. :D

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    Username/Internet Alias: Banjora Marxvile
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Marx
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account, although email is just as good): I'll PM it to my tutor, or whoever requires it please, I like to keep hidden.
    What you are interested in learning: Scripting (both basic and advanced)
    Timezone: UTC +1 (Western Europe - London) (Time now is 16:53)
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]: Umm... from 16:30 UTC +1 to 21:00 UTC +1
    Interests: Insects, puzzles.
    Looking for a specific Tutor? (I can attempt to hook you up; however, that is not guaranteed): Don't know, don't care.

Jake, I can do this one if you want?

Ok. Student Time :P

Username/Internet Alias: Vednix, Or Devlin if you prefer.
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Devlin (not real name)
    Means of contact: MSN, My Email: [email protected]
    What you are interested in learning: Spriting (Other) (Preferably trainer making)
    Timezone: When I come home from school, which will be about 4pm in England time. In two weeks it will be most of the time of the day, but some days I wont be here due to Work Experience.
    What times you can be tutored: Day, becuase I'm not allowed on at Night. BUt not like 7 in the morning.
    Interests: It would be nice to make my own Trainers and pokemon. It would benefit a lot in my Hacks.
    Looking for a specific Tutor?: No.

I'll let max take this.

Can you try to be a little less, vague?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Jake, I can do this one if you want?

If you'd like. Also, if you have want to pick up anyone else, please shoot me a PM, not post it here. ^^

Please, though, you can send in requests for Students; but do not expect to get a Tutor until we get at least one per section. Thanks.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    I like this idea, Jake3. It should definitely help newbies out, as long as they know that they suck. But seriously though, if anyone's ego isn't high enough to actually sign up as a student, you'll get a rep up from me, no doubt. I'm doing that because I respect whoever can admit that they need assistance.

I would sign up as a tutor, but I know that I'll just get irritated and frustrated like I did back when I hacked.
    Can I tutor the tutors? :D

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
    Username/Internet Alias: Samike360

Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Samike

Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account; although e-mail is just as good): Prferably just over Pokecommunity.

What you are interested in Tutoring for: Scripting, Advanced Scripting

Proof of Work (For each subject you would like to Tutor; five examples max, at least three):

#1. This is a long script I made for Pokemon Death Spawn with movecamera scripts and many applymovements (also a trainerbattle).

Spoiler:

#2. This is a simple-ish level script for Pokemon Academy, complete with givepokemon commands and movements.

Spoiler:

#3. This is a complicated level script I made for Pokemon Messengers of Peace. It has some useless information, but hopefully it demonstrates my understanding of complex commands.

Spoiler:

Timezone:
    What times you can be tutoring (day, time): Various times, I might not be on your time but I answer pms and stuff....I live in Georgia and am on usually 5-10 pm. (and also in the mornign)

Interests (things you like; used to build a compatible pair, and attempt to make friends): Basketball, Pokemon Anime, Guitar, Music.

Graduation? (If you have graduated from another Tutor, please note that here so I may confirm): Nope

How many students can you handle at once? (one to three; if you can only take on one at a time, that is perfectly fine): 3, as much as possible.

I would also be interested in being a student for spriting.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back