• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rombase and tools recomendation

Years
  • Hello everyone,
    I want to start working in a new hack, which will be the BEST out there (I´m pretty optimistic about it).
    I don´t know what rombase I should use (Firered or Emerald). It depends on the possibilities, to implement moves (TMs and HMs), abilities, types and special features like B/W repel system, mega evolutions, reusable items, adding items, adding new experience gains and expanding the pokedex to as much as possible.
    It also depends on the tutorials, the support and the rombases on both roms. What rom has the most support and tutorials and the most possibilities?
    The last question is: What rombase (with gen 4 to 6 moves, abilities, items and pokemon etc.) has the most features implemented?

Thanks in advance.

pokefreak890

The One that will make everything great
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2023
    There are some that you can use emerald is recently getting all the spotlight thanks to the dynamic emerald attack rombase and the upgraded battle engine for emerald they have so many features implemented or if you wanna go a fire red route my 1020 base has all those features implemented plus a few other things although its not perfect and I'm trying to optimize it as much as possible

Years
  • Thanks for your answer.
    I´m searching for a base with:
    -attack and decap base
    -HM Dive
    -all 721 Pokemon including the real mega evolution routine and updated movesets (cries, forms and animated sprites not necessary) with as much slots as possible (that´s why the 1460 base is best for me at the moment, but it doesn´t have everything I need)
    -all gen 4 to 6 abilities, moves (attacks) and items
    -B/W repel system
    -B/W reusable TMs
    -X/Y experience gain
    -Physical/Special/Status split with icons
    -Decapitalisation
    -running shoes indoors
    -bug fixes (must be bugfree)

I know, that these are all wishes. I know that it is difficult and time consuming to add all those things. Let´s be honest here: I really don´t understand how to implement all those things.
    I would highly appreciate it, if someone would make this and get it to work.

Years
  • Thanks for your answer.
    I´m searching for a base with:
    -attack and decap base
    -HM Dive
    -all 721 Pokemon including the real mega evolution routine and updated movesets (cries, forms and animated sprites not necessary) with as much slots as possible (that´s why the 1460 base is best for me at the moment, but it doesn´t have everything I need)
    -B/W repel system
    -B/W reusable TMs
    -X/Y experience gain
    -Decapitalisation
    -running shoes indoors

I know, that these are all wishes. I know that it is difficult and time consuming to add all those things. Let´s be honest here: I really don´t understand how to implement all those things.

Might as well ask someone to make the game for you

PankajBlitz

Taiyoh!
    Years
  • It sounds like you are just gonna get all credits because of ROM base. Try to work on your OWN.

Although I would suggest you Attack and Decap ROM base.

You have got to work dude.

Years
  • Thanks for your answers!
    I think I agree, that it is best, to make it all alone, but I´m always getting errors in D&D, PGE and G3HS. That´s making the work so much more difficult. :/

Do you guys have some tutorial recommendations for adding pokemon, attacks, animations, abilities and items and also how to add the B/W repel system, reusable TMs and the HM Dive?

someguy.fromnevada

I don't know anymore...
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2016
    So, here are some suggestions for tools:

[SCRIPTING]

PKSV: This tool is pretty handy if you haven't the slightest clue what you're doing, but can also be obnoxiously powerful in the hands of a professional.

XSE: Another fantastic scripting tool, more for the "advanced" scripters.

[MAPPING]

AdvanceMap: Probably the best map editing tool out there for GBA ROMs, however, it has a lot of bugs despite how many times it has been updated. But, it is extremely easy to use and is devastatingly powerful in the hands of a professional.

[TEXT EDITING]

AdvanceText: Another super simple, yet very powerful text editing tool. Works great on all of the GBA Pokemon ROMs, even works on some already patched/hacked ROMs. So like, say you find a ROM hack that looks really good, but isn't in English, this bad boy here might allow you to at least translate everything. Of course, it doesn't edit the Pokedex and so forth, but that'll be handled later.

[PATCHERS]

Lunar IPS: Best IPS patcher out there, not to mention completely virus free.

NUPS: A superb UPS patcher, but if I'm correct, it is becoming a bit outdated and most of the links to it are no longer "official". Your best chances of getting a safe version of it are on RomHacking.

Tsukuyomi UPS: Another UPS patching tool, works pretty good so far for me. Haven't had any issues with it.

[OTHER TOOLS]

Advanced Series: The Advanced Series (also known as "A???") is a set of 3 tools, known each as "APIE (Advanced Pokemon Icon Editor)", "APSE (Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor)", and respectively "ASPE (Advanced Sprite Position Editor)" do exactly as their names say. APIE edits the small icon you see when viewing your pokemon from the menu and pokedex. APSE edits the sprites you'd see in battle and in the pokedex and on the menu. Lastly, ASPE edits where the sprites are located on the pokedex viewing, menu viewing and in battle. (ALL OF THESES ARE FOR GBA ONLY)

[MULTI-TOOLS]

NOTE: These are programs which do multiple things all in one go and may just be your savior in a time of need.

PGE: An outstanding, and I mean it, OUTSTANDING ROM editing/hacking tool. Works great with a lot of parts that other tools don't seem to edit.

G3RHS: Also known as G3H or G3RH (Gen III Rom Hacking Suite), this bad boy has just what you need for a quick fixer-upper as well as a handy-dandy tool on a frequent occasion.

Overall, if you're not a hacking expert, these are some of the best tools to get into (except for XSE). Now, if you're a hacking expert, then you can skip everything I just posted and look for them yourself, cause I'm nowhere near able to call myself even "Intermediate" or "Advanced".

Years
  • Thank you very much for your answer!

I have a problem with PGE and G3HS. Everytime I open the attack editor, pokemon etc. I´m getting an error, that says that it´s the wrong value and something with JIT Debugging.
    I don´t know what that is and how to fix it.
    Can someone help me with this problem, please?

Bump
    Please guys I need help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I'll poke my head in for this one.

Hex Editor: You're not going to be doing this by tools only. Not to scare you but depending on what you're doing, your head may be in here more than tools. Not even decapitalizing the original script or using MrDS's base with every tool can be done without a Hex Editor. Use what you're comfortable with.

Scripting: XSE. Just use that and follow DiegoIsAwesome's tutorial. You'll get proficient at it in due time. Most scripts people talk about use XSE in general.

Mapping: A-Map is about the best thing out there, MEH's still baking in the oven.
    Sprites: Advanced Series. What's great about this is the fact that the INI can be edited for expanded Pokedexes, so it's already futureproofed. Smart.

Pokemon: YAPE if you're not expanding the Pokedex. Your multi-tools usually if you're not.
    Trainers: Unnamed Trainer Editior. Or just use a multi-tool.
    Items: Just use a multitool. Unless you're making your own stones, then do everything but stone stuff in the multitools and make the relevant ASM happen in Complete Item Editor.

Text inserting: XSE. Don't even try with Advance Text. G3T has a decapitalization tool, but make sure to be careful with it.

All-in-ones:
    G3T: I find this much more usable in general than the majority of the lot, then again it might be simply because I've used it the most. Keep in mind that it autosaves.

PGE: Now this may be because I haven't used this in quite a while, but if you added in Fairy type this thing will wig out as soon as you point it to something that has it. Still, it's the only one with a Pokemon editor that has cry repointing, along with other tools you won't find elsewhere. Don't ask why it's not here, drama and anger occurred.

G3HS: Buggy. Only use this for expanding the Pokedex and nothing else. Maybe tutor editing.

Bases: MrDS's base if you want all the attacks. Just make sure to fix it up and replace the INI files with those provided, or you're up a creek without a paddle tool-wise. Keep the table information handy for updating the other INI files. Also keep in mind that the entire script is not decapped quite yet, and that you may need to hexedit the ROM name for certain tools.

Nothing else of note, everything else will probably clash with it considering how much it changes/shuffles around.

Others: IPSPeek is pretty useful in a few situations. Also Floating IPS will make smaller IPS patches than Lunar IPS while also being able to make BPS patches.

Last edited:

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
    Years
  • -attack and decap base
    MrDollSteak has a patch for this for Fire Red

Comes stock in Emerald. Implementing in Fire Red, well, there's some R&D threads about this very topic.

Just a note about making hacks: Having THAT many Pokemon available to you makes everything a bit too busy. Trying to implement them in the wild would just feel very cluttered. In any case, there are bases out there for Fire Red(and I believe Emerald) that include tons of Pokemon with Mega Evolution, movesets, and cries/sprites. However, this is a big task.

Read above.

-B/W repel system
    I believe Shiny Quagsire made a thread about this.
    -B/W reusable TMs
    Search R&D.
    -X/Y experience gain
    Search R&D.
    MrDollSteak.
    -Decapitalisation
    MrDollSteak.
    -running shoes indoors
    HackMew already addressed this; also easily do-able(not perfect, mind you) in A-Map, by going to Header > Map Options > Type > Anything but "Inside."
    That's exclusively your job.

Here's the thing, friend. All of which you asked for has already been done, documented, and made publicly available. How to implement them has also been made publicly available.

Mapping, scripting, those things are relatively easy. With practice, as are implementing the above listed things, when you consider the sheer amount of resources at your disposal.

It would be a whole other song if you were asking for guidance on a particular subject, or for someone to just point you in the right direction or explain something in a different way, but you're not. You are asking us to do all the heavy lifting for you; and that isn't how this works. This community is very helpful, second to none. But, there is a huge difference between helping and doing.

We are happy to help you, but we will not make your hack for you. For that, you must research and try. And try, and try, and try again. Should you get stuck, we are here. Should you fail, we are here. Should you need help, we are here. But, if we do everything, in what sense is it your hack?

All the best,
    Winter Wonderland.

Back