• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROOMIES ANYONE?

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    The one thing I've noticed about myself is that I have the same mentality of an 80 year old grandmother. ... I prefer when the house is quiet because when there is a lot of noise going on I can't even think straight. I hate when people watch TV or listen to music wicked loud. It's always bad music too. :'(
    Oh man. I cannot agree enough! I tend to think of myself as the 'cranky old lady wishing those damned kids'd turn down that racket'. I can't focus on anything if I hear neighbors thumping 'music'. Unfortunately in an apartment building also occupied by many young college-age fellas, it's inevitable that noise emanates from several neighboring apartments D:<

But back on topic, yeah, I spent my first year of college being shuffled around student housing places. Even before I ever came to college I knew I wouldn't like the idea of living with other random strangers, especially given how people in my age group tend to be.

The first one I was in for a quarter before leaving, and it was a ghetto concrete dump with every kind of foul odor and breed of disrespectful college kid. I didn't feel safe there, let alone comfortable. My one roomie was kind of okay most of the time but there were a couple incidents that left me feeling 'WTF'. One time she brought her 9-year-old brother to stay the night and needless to say I was like 'WTF' in my head. I'm not comfortable around kids like that in general and it was just extremely awkward, not to mention I wondered what sort of parents would let a little kid stay in a place like this for a night. Another time she borrowed my cooking pot my mom bought me without asking, cooked some nasty-smelling stuff, and just left the pot half-rinsed in the sink. For one, food messes are among the grossest things to me, and if it's not mine I won't clean it, and two, that's my pot! >:[

The second place I was at was next to the school (as opposed to far away down in Midtown) and was in itself a nice place. Regular people got apartments here, too, since it was just an apartment complex. I was there for two quarters. The first one I had one roommate, and she seemed okay at first, and I'd thought she was my friend, but she really made me feel terrible about myself (especially about things I couldn't change, like that I was 6 years younger than her or that my dad is a doctor and has money). I remember just feeling like crap all the time but not really realizing it was her doing until the second quarter I was there, when someone new moved in and shared her room with her, and instantly saw right through her BS. The new chick and I became pals, too (though much later she left the school and moved back to her hometown).

The third and final place I was at (another similar place to the last one, and similarly close to the school) I again had only one roommate. She was a nice chick, and had I met her another way besides forced housing I think she could have been a friend. There were several issues, though. She was almost never home (which you might say was a good thing), but when she was, she always had people over, usually her boyfriend. On occasion she'd not be home but I'd find that her boyfriend was there, which was not only against the rules, but it made me uncomfortable. Another time she randomly showed up without any warning with a mess of siblings in tow, who were to spend the weekend there or something. Needless to say I fled to a friend's house. The last thing was that when she moved out (a good while before I did), she left massive amounts of trash and belongings and food that I pretty much had to figure out how to deal with. The apartment had a garage that no one was allowed to use, but there was mountains of her stuff in there. Also on the night she left, she had left the garage door open, the light on, and the inner door to the garage unlocked. I didn't find out until I woke up in the morning, either. Nice area or not, it was lucky the house wasn't broken into.

After that I spent the rest of the quarter there alone for once, and when it was up I was like 'Eff this housing crap, I'mma get my own damn apartment!' and did so. Nothing like living by myself!

Absinthe

share the space
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2010
    Freshman year of college I lived on campus. My first room was a converted triple (3 girls in a 2 person room), so it was hugely cramped - 2 bunkbeds and a single. I got stuck on the top of the bunkbed... not the best choice, especially since one of my roommates would have her boyfriend stay over, so coming down the bunkbed, I'd end up seeing those two sprawled all over.

After the first week, I put in a request to move out through the Residental Services (which to be honest, anyone should do if they're living on campus in a dorm), and ended up with one of the best roommates ever. Between her and her friends, we had shared interests and played tons of video games and whatnot together. I moved out after that year though cause I couldn't afford the costs of living on campus and commuted from home.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2010
    I don't really have a roommate because I own my own house however I have a friend who is 25 and was still living at home, I told him he could rent one of my spare guest rooms until he can afford his own place, just to get out of his parents house. So I guess that counts, doesn't it? Regardless, he's kind of like my little brother.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Yes, I'd love to be your roommate one day, Kura.

I haven't had a roommate, aside from when on camps.

Years
  • tl;dr

Cutting straight to the questions: I have never had a roommate, unless a school camp trip counts, and, even then, we were mostly outside of the room.

I wouldn't mind sharing a place with someone for money concerns, as long as they were tolerable and at least made as much of an effort to keep their crap out of the common areas as I would for my belongings.

RuRuBell

Beeef
    Years
  • Ugh, nasty. I don't think I could ever tolerate a roommate.

Right now I'm renting a room out of a house from a couple, so no roomies for me. There's another girl my age who's renting the room next to me, but we're never around at the same time. She's nice enough, but keeps to her room like I do. The couple that I rent from are really nice people too, so I'm lucky.

Back