• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Rumors in Gen 1

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • If you've been around since Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, you probably remember hearing a lot of crazy rumors. Back then most of us didn't have internet, so we didn't have the convenience of simply Googling "Is there really a Mew under the truck near the SS Anne?" So it was easy for rumors to catch momentum and spread.

What are some rumors that you heard back in your Gen 1 days? Did you believe them? Did you try any of them?

The one that I remember most is that there was a Mew in Bill's backyard. I totally believed it, and for the longest time I swore there had to be a way to get back there. It wasn't until years later that I learned Bill doesn't even have a backyard. Another one I heard is that if your game clocks maxes out at 999:99, the SS Anne comes back to port and you can ride it to the Orange Islands. Good times...how young and gullible we all were...

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    My cousin would constantly tell me that Charmeleon had an alternative evolution of sorts, and could evolve into something else besides Charizard. I believed her, but she would never tell me how to actually get it done, though. xD" Because of this rumor, I also thought that Ivysaur and Wartortle had alt evolution forms, too.

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
    Years
  • They told me If ya use'd the rare candy trick, and you catched that pokemon your save fille did crash, never tried it out lol.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    If I recall correctly:

1. if you use dig behind the truck you dug into the ground. After that if you use Strength you were supposed to push it away which made stairs appear. If you step on them you were transported to an area full of grass and surrounded by walls. If you were looking long enough you could find a wild Mewtwo in its full armor.
    2. if you get to the truck after a certain time had passed someone was supposed to wait for you. He therefor challenges you to a battle using all three full evolved starters at level 110. If you beat him he would give you a Mew in return.
    3. if you leave a Pokemon at the Day Care and return many of hours later the Pokemon would have run away and as an apology the man would give you Togepi (or a fushion of all three fully evolved starters, labeled as a Pokemon God)
    4. there were supposed to be a couple of number shaped islands (which is pretty similar to what GF did with the remakes, but it was long before even Gen 3 was made)

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    Oh, I heard many a rumours.

1. If you go around SS.Anne a couple times, you'll find windows, talking to them will describe and dance hall inside, with many people dancing, including "Bill" Who apperently had only one ticket.
    2. If you got through the game fast enough, with a time under 5 hours, you'll battle the previous Champion rather than Blue, the Previous being professor Oak.
    3. If you had only Mewtwo on your team, with surf, you can surf to the truck, which would reverse backwards destorying a barrier and revealing a new dungeon. "SS.Rocket" which had Mew on board.
    4. Yellow Only. If you lost agaisnt Rocket Jesse and James in Silph Co. they would replace Giovanni as the 8th Gym Leader, like the anime did.
    5. After defeating the league a numerous amount if times, a young trainer will wait outside Indigo Platuea and complain how the champion being out, he wasn't allowed to challenge the league, upon realising you're the champion he fights you with lvl 90 - 100 team of six.

I can't remember more, but If I do, I shall return. *WHOOOSH*

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • There were a lot, most notrious being the Mew under the Truck one. You had to get a Pokemon with cut from someone else, so the ship wouldnt leave. Then, you had to go back once you had surf and strength as well. You have to use cut on the tires, then strength and Mew would appear!! I also remember kids telling how if you did this and that you would get the remaining starter from Oak...

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Uh... B+Down to capture? I only heard that since the second generation but it's probably the most pervasive Pokemon rumour ever.

I remember being told a variant on the missingno. glitch, that if one captures missingno. it reveals itself to be a witch who was trapped in a Pokemon... and I don't remember how it went on.

My cousin would constantly tell me that Charmeleon had an alternative evolution of sorts, and could evolve into something else besides Charizard. I believed her, but she would never tell me how to actually get it done, though. xD" Because of this rumor, I also thought that Ivysaur and Wartortle had alt evolution forms, too.
    Well, in hindsight... they all have mega evolutions, now.

Years
  • My sister used to tell me that if I get a second Pikachu on Pokemon Yellow and show it to the guy in the Pewter City Museum who asks for your Pikachu, he would trade it for a Mew. Needless to say, I didn't have Yellow back then so I couldn't tell. ;)

Back