• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race, anyone?

Mochika Rage

sickening, no?
Years
    • uk
    • Seen Oct 1, 2017
    I can't be the only one who likes RuPaul's Drag Race, can I? I know this is late because the series is ending in a few weeks, but I've just come back to PC and I was wondering if any of you watched it.

What are your thoughts on the queens on AS2? What are your thoughts on the whole Phi Phi editing situation? Let's talk!

(also talk about rpdr in general idk)

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I loved it in season 1 ! But a bit less in the other seasons so I didn't watched more than 3. I should try the all star tho!! That's a show I was watching with my mom lol.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I watch it all the time.
    Didn't bother to finish watching this season since too much BS happened.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • I watch Drag Race quite religiously, it's fantastic.

This past All Stars season is probably the best one so far and the structure of elimination was appropriately anxiety inducing.

I rooted for Alaska for the majority of the season until it started becoming clear that she was dragging Roxxxy along above others. And that outright tantrum about needing to win was totally offputting. A really disappointing display from an inspiring queen.

Detox should have taken the crown, I feel.

Last edited:

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Agreed. All Stars 2 was the best season so far. It's not perfect though so I'm hoping they really blow the waters out with All Stars 3 (and actually have some decent season representation ffs!)

I was Team Alaska at first but seeing the entire edit and rigga morris just made me feel super underwhelmed. TBH I felt like Katya was robbed during the Cherry Bomb lipsync. Phi Phi also won the lip sync against Alaska IMHO.

I'm quite obviously Team Katya for the crown 😆

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • Yes, Katya was brilliant. That Krisis Kontrol advert is golden. I've rewatched it so many times. And I don't think anyone else was in the top 2 as often as she was! Katya lipsynced a lot and that's good.

Can we talk about the can of worms that is Phi Phi O'hara? You can really tell that her drag has grown and she's a great costumer, but that caustic attitude remains the same. She was so preoccupied with getting a redemption story on the show that she totally forgot about redeeming herself.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Top three should have been Alaska, Katya and Alyssa. Detox is alright, and definitely consistent, but shes more consistently good then great imo.

One thing that got to me a bit - that final challenge with the lipsyncing was clearly won by Katya, yet she didn't get any praise for it really :c. It kind of felt like this whole season was just a throwaway win to Alaska.

And whilst I quite liked the format, AS2 was definitely not the best season. Seasons 4/5/6 were the best for me. 8 had promise but it some queens were a total write off from the first episode or two.

Winter

Years
  • Can we talk about the can of worms that is Phi Phi O'hara? You can really tell that her drag has grown and she's a great costumer, but that caustic attitude remains the same. She was so preoccupied with getting a redemption story on the show that she totally forgot about redeeming herself.
    Honestly I personally don't see any causticness from her? Yeah she's a bitch in the sense that she gives her brutally honest opinion and her tone might easily come off as aggressive but I didn't think she was being malicious. What she said about Alyssa was right (Michelle Visage herself said that perhaps the judges might be a little too bias towards Alyssa) and we now know that it was edited to make it seem like she went on a rant. Personally I feel like her damage control could have been better. If she had been collected and said "Yes I said it but I said it not to be mean or malicious. It's my opinions, you don't have to agree with it." it would have been resolved better. Rather than make it worse by interacting with haters and trolls on social media and not going to the Reunion which will very likely affect her drag career.

And whilst I quite liked the format, AS2 was definitely not the best season. Seasons 4/5/6 were the best for me. 8 had promise but it some queens were a total write off from the first episode or two.
    You sound like one of those who feeds off the drama and cat fights :P

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    You sound like one of those who feeds off the drama and cat fights :P

To a point. Alyssa/Coco was good drama - it was silly and OTT but never aggressive and it didn't make either of them dis-likable.

Winter

Years
  • To a point. Alyssa/Coco was good drama - it was silly and OTT but never aggressive and it didn't make either of them dis-likable.
    *side eyes* I found it so stale and scripted lmfao. Forgettable when compared to the iconic Untucked for episode 2 xD

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • Honestly I personally don't see any causticness from her? Yeah she's a ***** in the sense that she gives her brutally honest opinion and her tone might easily come off as aggressive but I didn't think she was being malicious. What she said about Alyssa was right (Michelle Visage herself said that perhaps the judges might be a little too bias towards Alyssa) and we now know that it was edited to make it seem like she went on a rant. Personally I feel like her damage control could have been better. If she had been collected and said "Yes I said it but I said it not to be mean or malicious. It's my opinions, you don't have to agree with it." it would have been resolved better. Rather than make it worse by interacting with haters and trolls on social media and not going to the Reunion which will very likely affect her drag career.

I wouldn't say she was malicious either. I think she was authentic in her opinions, but those 'brutally honest' views often served no purpose for good. Her little comments to the other queens were never of a positive nature and several of the other girls (including Ginger, Tatianna and of course Alyssa) picked up on that independently.

Chad Michaels said it best about Phi Phi back in season 4: "B*tch, edit yourself."

Winter

Years
  • I wouldn't say she was malicious either. I think she was authentic in her opinions, but those 'brutally honest' views often served no purpose for good. Her little comments to the other queens were never of a positive nature and several of the other girls (including Ginger, Tatianna and of course Alyssa) picked up on that independently.

Chad Michaels said it best about Phi Phi back in season 4: "B*tch, edit yourself."
    They served to stir up drama which was what the producers wanted. I hope you remember that this is all reality tv and that the queens will say what the producers want to hear during confessionals. Tatianna and Phi Phi are super close friends outside All Stars 2. "Never of a positive nature" seems like a reach because I'm sure you must have seen the werkroom moments where she helped the other queens (e.g. Katya, Roxxxy, etc). Yes we know she's a bitch from season 4 but let's not paint her all black and evil just because your favourite queen is involved lol

I'm just saying that what you see... isn't always the truth. xD

Buy The Same Parts on iTunes

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • The producers did not influence Phi Phi to utter the things that she did. Blaming the editing is an easy escape - of course, I know the game of reality TV and how the effects can sway the tone of certain moments. I am only concerned with what she said here.

Phi Phi evidently has an abrasive side to her and it's been like that for years. No black paint, no evil, no favourite.

I was very impressed to see how much she had evolved technically - that intergalactic runway costume was legendary - but other than that, I see behaviour that smacks of the way she treated Willam and Sharon years ago. It is a shame that she's chosen to detach from the show by not appearing at the reunion.

Winter

Years
  • The producers did not influence Phi Phi to utter the things that she did. Blaming the editing is an easy escape - of course, I know the game of reality TV and how the effects can sway the tone of certain moments. I am only concerned with what she said here.
    I'm not quite sure if you've been following the tea but it's been said by other queens not just herself that the producers did have a hand. But like I said, what she said wasn't wrong but take those words out of context and apply the formula and you can get a giant hate train towards her.

Phi Phi evidently has an abrasive side to her and it's been like that for years. No black paint, no evil, no favourite.

I was very impressed to see how much she had evolved technically - that intergalactic runway costume was legendary - but other than that, I see behaviour that smacks of the way she treated Willam and Sharon years ago. It is a shame that she's chosen to detach from the show by not appearing at the reunion.
    You seem quite fixated on her past and gloss over the fact that she has issues with anger management and still tries to cope with it. I'm not here to change your impression of her but I'm just hoping you'll be more objective (I myself disliked Phi Phi because I'm a Willam stan but I feel like the vitriol towards her is really unnecessary and that people are taking it way too seriously).

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • It's her issues with anger management that I was referring to, precisely. It's obviously something that's been a part of her story for a long time. That is what any reasonable person would find unpleasant - mismanaged anger.

The amount of hate that Drag Race fans generate is unfortunate. And it doesn't help that social media makes it so easy to be awful. I agree that the backlash to Phi Phi is disproportionate (no one should suffer death threats), but you cannot tell me that there wasn't a continuation of Phi Phi's particular kind of unpleasantness. Raja made the same conclusion on Pit Stop.

It is one side of a personality. I don't judge it as more than that.

Winter

Years
  • Lol sure, let's listen to Raja, who is also just another Drag Race fan and another queen who plays to the producers' script.

Back