• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Saving, don't turn off the power..." *battery dies*

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Probably happened once to me, but it wasn't catastrophal because I knew my battery was low so I had been saving every 10 mins or so.

Years
  • This has definitely happened to me before several times. The worst was when I had my data wiped on some PS1 game which I can't even remember which one it was. I think the power just cut off for some reason in the middle of saving lol.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Online now
    No, not really.
    I have a habit of charging my DS and 3DS whenever the light turned red. Even then, I tend to save every few minutes.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Never happened to me. That's typically because I stop playing shortly after I get a low battery warning until I can charge it safely.

xelarator

Gentlemen.
    Years
  • I don't know if this counts, but when I was playing Skrim: The Elder Scrolls V [five], I went to system and clicked on save, as it was saving, it went up to 99% done, and it stayed there. ****

On another day, I thank god for AUTO SAVE, and play Skyrim again, I try to save it, it goes to 99%, and guess what?

WE HAVE A FREAKIN BLACKOUT.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • None that I can remember! Don't think it's happened in Pokemon either, since I typically put my DS or whatever on the charger the minute the light turns red, haha. And if I'm away from the charger, I either stop playing right then, or I just save every few minutes.

BZW Golem

Conspirator~
    Years
  • This made me remember one sad childhood memory.

I was playing pokemon (Silver) at school, my battery was low but I though that playing 5 more minutes would be ok..
    Then, for the first time I discovered that I can get into Tin Tower.
    I had no idea that I will meet Ho-Oh there, It was a nice surprise.. I caught after a loooong battle and..
    when I was saving the battery died.
    I was back to the moment before even going into Tin Tower ;_;

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2016
    I recall once playing Metroid Prime. At the there was a really bad thunderstorm. So I got to a save room and my electricity went out as it was saving. For the next couple hours, I got freaked out because I was playing the game for 4 hours straight without saving from the beginning of the game to I believe Phendrana. (Why I randomly chose to save there instead of earlier, I will never know.) So end of story, SAVE OFTEN because that storm forced me to redo all of that progress.

Years
  • I've never had anything bad happen to me when playing handheld games and having the battery die, but I remember having the power go out on me while saving on the PS1. I know that I rented a game from Blockbuster (I'm pretty sure it was the original Spyro), and I was about 2/3 through the game. There was a thunderstorm happening, and I didn't really listen to my dad when he told me to the save the game in case the power went out. About 15 minutes later he told me that I had to turn it off, but as I was in the middle of saving the power went. Later found out that not only the one game file was corrupted, but all the other games on the memory card were corrupt, too.

darkdarkrai

No. 1 World at war fanboy
    Years
  • This sometimes happens when Im playing pokemon white but I save after every battle and my Dsi XL battery lasts a long time, so it really dosen't matter to me

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • The only time I've had saving being severely interrupted in a Pokemon game was not by power failure, but by a physical jostling of the cartridge. One time when I was saving for a Secret Base Battle in Emerald Version (the kind you get after Mixing Records with other players). SOMEHOW, the cartridge manage to slightly shift - what I call "joggling", and the screen froze (essentially equivalent to a disruption with the handheld's power). I restarted, thinking that the game would do display its normal "The save file has been corrupted. The previous save file will be loaded" message. To my nightmarish surprise, it instead displayed something like "The save file has been deleted due to corruption or damage", with my previous save file nowhere in sight. That one incident has made me taken care of however slightly I move a handheld gaming console that contains a cartridge, with fear of repeating the same error again.

This has happened a couple of times to me and it breaks me every, single, time.

I remember I had caught a shiny in the safari zone and I was so hyped and happy, that I didn't even see the red light. 10 minutes later, *poof*. I nearly threw my SP at the wall.

Oh, that's like the worst luck. :x

I sometimes think about situations like that. Good thing I haven't experienced it yet. Any of guys ever save a game on a console, and all of the sudden, the electricity fluctuates and the consoles turns off. Man if that happened to me and I lost the save game, RAGE!

That happened to me last summer (or maybe it was two summers ago)! Anyway, I was playing the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and was about to start the boss battle against Twilit Fossil Stallord. I saved before entering his room. I managed to reach the second part of his boss battle, and finished the battle. I was talking to Midna post-battle in Stallord's room when all of a sudden, the house suffered a power outage! Cue me repeating the entire boss battle over again in an annoyed mood when the electricity returned. At least the battle theme music for Stallord's boss battle was awesome enough to help tide me over. XD

I feel your pain, dude. That has got to suck. Soo close to saving. I've learned my lesson in the past, and now I've made a good habit of saving every once in a while. Not to mention the times of an accident like your finger slides/pushes the wrong button or someone bumps into you and you drop your game (assuming it's a handheld). Which makes me think about consoles. I think on the console it'd be more likely something were to happen. The power could go out, someone could trip over the cord and unplug it by accident (have had this happen, no I didn't get to save haha), or back when I was a kid my mom would give the "I'll turn off the system" threat.

I was playing Metroid Prime Hunters once, and during exploration, my hand slipped from the directional pad (D-Pad)'s "Up" button and somehow managed to press the DS's "power" button (this was on a friend's original-model DS, also known as "DS Phat"). Thank goodness that the Nintendo DS Lite reverted the Power Button to a switch on the side of the console, like it is on the Game Boy Advance SP.
    I was a bit annoyed when the Nintendo 3DS was revealed to again have a Power Button instead of a switch, although it seems somewhat-better placed than the DS Phat's Power Button was. I haven't adequately tried out a 3DS yet that isn't an in-store mounted demo, so I have no way to tell whether I'll have problems with the 3DS's Power Button.

Regarding plugs, I've only encountered people tripping over console wires rarely, and this is when I attend public videogaming events for a club or school activity or something.

Nope, not here. I was always pretty prompt to charge my DS whenever the battery light became red. The light is there for a good reason.
    I have corrupted save files in attempting to clone Pokemon and Chao, though.

One day, when all my Pokemon are safely migrated to other Pokemon games, I'd like to try out the Emerald cloning glitch, although it seems like most people encounter corrupted save files rather than files with cloned Pokemon. XD

None that I can remember! Don't think it's happened in Pokemon either, since I typically put my DS or whatever on the charger the minute the light turns red, haha. And if I'm away from the charger, I either stop playing right then, or I just save every few minutes.

Similar to what many players here have indicated, I typically go and get my Game Boy Advance SP's charger the minute the LED light becomes red, usually saving my game before doing so. Occasionally, I only play with the GBASP's power light being red when I'm doing Battle Frontier challenges (my Battle Tower streaks usually get interrupted before the 50th Trainer or between the 50th and 56th Trainers, so it's not like I'm missing much), but this is only when I can gauge that the power of the GBASP can last me 30 minutes to an hour.

Nowadays, I'm a bit cautious on/worried about charging the instant that the power light turns red, as the GBASP supposedly only has a limited number of charges to it, and I've probably charged it hundreds of times already throughout the years. I've read in some areas that it's better to let the device's battery become completely drained and then recharge it (otherwise, the battery's total capacity will gradually decrease), but I'm not sure how much technology that this piece of advice applies to. Nintendo's GBA support page says that I can recharge the GBA anytime, so I guess I'll continue charging the GBASP the instant its power light goes red. XD

Also, if you're at home with your power charger accessible, and if your handheld console supports charging-while-playing, you don't really have much of an excuse, what with all of the "saving horror stories" that tons of Pokemon fans have written on the Internet. :cer_laugh:

Shinigami_

Resident Death God
    Years
  • Don't ever recalled that happening to me, either. There is a first time for everything though, and when it comes Hopefully nothing happens. XD. my sympathy to those that have actually lost stuff though. I know how it feels to have to start something all over again in concerns to similar things.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Today I was playing Majora's Mask. The GCN port.

In one three day cycle I left Clock Town for the first time, completed Woodfall Temple and rescued all the Stray Faeries within it, got several heart pieces, upgraded my quiver twice, went to the northern moutains, got the Goron mask, got the Don Gero mask.

I was on the final day and going for one last heart piece before playing the Song of Time and saving. The one where you find the grottos in Termina field and play Goron's Lullaby in each of them. As soon as I entered the final hole, it froze. Ugh.

I have to do all that again now

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2022
    It's never happened to me once. Didn't matter what I played, if the battery signal turned red, I saved immediately and then decided to charge it.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • I have this happen all the time with my PSP, but luckily I can haul ass to the charger in time in order for it to not shut down all the way and lose any progress.

Years
  • I have this happen all the time with my PSP, but luckily I can haul ass to the charger in time in order for it to not shut down all the way and lose any progress.

At least on the PSP you can save to different files on most games. If my battery is really low, then I save to another file, so I don't risk corrupting the main one.

On the DS, I generally have a pretty good idea of time. For games on a flashcart, I backup from time to time.

Yukari

Nope, this has never happened to me. When my battery gets low I'll just save and then turn the system off.

Back