• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Script Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
  • Ok so call me stupid, but in FireRed, what is the script that allows you to enter the gym in Viridian City?

The certain script has a setflag that will only open after some gym badges. You can just simply remove the sign script and you'll be able to enter. lol

And if you mean the other way then there's a sign script placed at the door of Viridian's Gym door.
    Code:
    '---------------
    #org 0x1659B8
    msgbox 0x817E2F5 MSG_SIGN '"VIRIDIAN GYM's doors are locked[.]"
    end

'---------
    ' Strings
    '---------
    #org 0x17E2F5
    = VIRIDIAN GYM's doors are locked[.]

or remove some of what is inputted at the level script.

Years
  • The certain script has a setflag that will only open after some gym badges. You can just simply remove the sign script and you'll be able to enter. lol

And if you mean the other way then there's a sign script placed at the door of Viridian's Gym door.
    Code:
    '---------------
    #org 0x1659B8
    msgbox 0x817E2F5 MSG_SIGN '"VIRIDIAN GYM's doors are locked[.]"
    end

'---------
    ' Strings
    '---------
    #org 0x17E2F5
    = VIRIDIAN GYM's doors are locked[.]

or remove some of what is inputted at the level script.

I thought there was a setflag command involved, but I have looked at both scripts in front of the gym and could not find it. Am I missing some info about scripting or are my eyes tricking me?

Years
  • I thought there was a setflag command involved, but I have looked at both scripts in front of the gym and could not find it. Am I missing some info about scripting or are my eyes tricking me?
    Have you tried looking at the level script? And I think the setflag would be elsewhere, like after the other gyms are completed or something like that.

Years
  • How do I look at the level script? Sorry im a noob at this.
    Most new people don't know about level scripts until much later, and then they don't use them much(as is, A-Map ALWAYS bugs them up so it's annoying unless you know how to do it yourself). Anyway, open up A-Map. Go to the header tab of the Viridian map. Somewhere near the middle will be the type of level script and the offset to it. Take the offset and plug it into XSE, and you should be able to see it.

Years
  • Most new people don't know about level scripts until much later, and then they don't use them much(as is, A-Map ALWAYS bugs them up so it's annoying unless you know how to do it yourself). Anyway, open up A-Map. Go to the header tab of the Viridian map. Somewhere near the middle will be the type of level script and the offset to it. Take the offset and plug it into XSE, and you should be able to see it.

So how would I change the level script without A-Map?

Edit: While I'm here, I'm having scripting trouble. Basically a scientist is goig to walk up, talk, give Oak's Parcel, talk some more, then leave. Each time I access it the game freezes. what did I do wrong?

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Sniper

ふゆかい
    Years
  • So how would I change the level script without A-Map?

Edit: While I'm here, I'm having scripting trouble. Basically a scientist is goig to walk up, talk, give Oak's Parcel, talk some more, then leave. Each time I access it the game freezes. what did I do wrong?

Spoiler:
    Simply get the offset of the level script and change it. But I don't recommend that and I suggest you to make a new one if ever the script that you'll replace to the original one is bigger.

for your other problem.
    I remember having that little trouble but anyways if you looked into diegoisawesome's tutorial he said that--

Okay. Compile the script, assign it to a script tile (green with an S) and not a person.
    Now test it in the ROM. Then look at this spoiler.

Didn't work, did it? Froze on the spot. You're going to need to change this...
    before%20change.jpg

to this....

after%20change.jpg

Try it now. Worked perfectly, didn't it?
    and for Splash, I'm guessing so.. no c:

Last edited:

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • I think so. Go to your XSE program, press F1, and then type 'setpkmnpp', if it says 'Emerald only', it doesn't work in FR.

edit: try it in a clean ROM.

I already checked before I came here.. Sadly it doesn't show whether its emerald only or not.. I'm gonna try using it but not keeping my fingers crossed hehe

Years
  • Simply get the offset of the level script and change it. But I don't recommend that and I suggest you to make a new one if ever the script that you'll replace to the original one is bigger.

Ok thanks a bunch (You just saved me some research:))!

for your other problem.
    I remember having that little trouble but anyways if you looked into diegoisawesome's tutorial he said that--

Are the Var number and Unknown always those numbers or does it depend on some other factor?

Years
  • I am attempting to have a wild pokemon battle to occur as the character walks over a tile. However when the character walks over the tile he locks in place due to the lock command.
    Spoiler:

How should I change the script to work as intended?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Are the Var number and Unknown always those numbers or does it depend on some other factor?

That information is largely considered bad practise, from what I understand. The Var number should correlate to a variable that, when set, disables the tile script. The Unknown will happily sit at 0000.

I am attempting to have a wild pokemon battle to occur as the character walks over a tile. However when the character walks over the tile he locks in place due to the lock command.
    Spoiler:

How should I change the script to work as intended?

Your problem is similar to that above, your tile-script needs data filled in - a variable number for instance.

Years
  • That information is largely considered bad practise, from what I understand. The Var number should correlate to a variable that, when set, disables the tile script. The Unknown will happily sit at 0000.

So would I just select a variable that hasn't been used and input that?

Years
  • Hello (yes I'm back again). The script in my above post is activated like it should, but there are two problems. 1. the sprite I want to move does not move and 2. If I exit out of the map then re-enter the script engages again (I only want the script to happen once and then done). What did I do wrong?

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Hello (yes I'm back again). The script in my above post is activated like it should, but there are two problems. 1. the sprite I want to move does not move and 2. If I exit out of the map then re-enter the script engages again (I only want the script to happen once and then done). What did I do wrong?

Spoiler:
    The applymovement should be 0xA, not 0x10. When you're using XSE you use hexadecimal.
    Why are you using flag 0x7? You also seem to be clearing the flag whenever you walk over the script again, which will simply reactivate it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back