• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Script Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2018
    Have you tried just recompiling it with the actual text overwriting the "glitchy" text? I know I've had this problem before and just decompiling the script and then recompiling with the actual text seemed to work nicely.
    this is not working still now and game get freezed anyother way is my script have anyproblem that this is happening

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2016
    I am working on a FireRed hack with XSE. I am trying to make a script that will happen as soon as you start the game. Like you wake up in bed to see team rocket stealing a pokeball from the player's desk. I am correct that I will need to make this script a flag? I took an unsuccessful crack on at a few years ago but lost the script and have not had time to time again, I believe not making the script a flag was the problem (since it kept repeating and freezing when entering bedroom again). Any help or advice in making this script is much appreciated (I mean in tips/guidance/tutorials/thread links, I am not asking you to right the script for me). Thank you :)

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • this is not working still now and game get freezed anyother way is my script have anyproblem that this is happening

Unless your ROM is different than mine or you have some free space patch applied that I don't know about, a clean FireRed ROM has data at 0x161ADA.

Try using a offset that is in clearly labeled free space. Like try somewhere in the 0xA00000's if you need to.

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2018
    Unless your ROM is different than mine or you have some free space patch applied that I don't know about, a clean FireRed ROM has data at 0x161ADA.

Try using a offset that is in clearly labeled free space. Like try somewhere in the 0xA00000's if you need to.

i have used fire red patch to clear my rom data and i also try it by changing offset but it happen

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2018
    hey guys i am having problem that when player walk on this script the game become freeze what is this problem can anyone answer
    Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    @pokemon r
    You need to use variables for step-on scripts. I'm on my phone right now but have a google of "karatekid's flags, variables and scripts tutorial".

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2018
    @pokemon r
    You need to use variables for step-on scripts. I'm on my phone right now but have a google of "karatekid's flags, variables and scripts tutorial".
    I puted this script in the place where player is standing in start of game and when the game start the player is standing in this script but it don't work but when player walk one step and come in this place back then game freez and if I use variables then it work only when I walk I want to work this script to work in start of game

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I puted this script in the place where player is standing in start of game and when the game start the player is standing in this script but it don't work but when player walk one step and come in this place back then game freez and if I use variables then it work only when I walk I want to work this script to work in start of game

If you want it at the start you'll need to make it a level script - tile scripts down work when you enter/warp to a spot. diegoisawesome's tutorial covers how to make these :) I believe there's a link in the first post.

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2018
    If you want it at the start you'll need to make it a level script - tile scripts down work when you enter/warp to a spot. diegoisawesome's tutorial covers how to make these :) I believe there's a link in the first post.
    OK thanks but I covers that tutional

Years
  • Hi I am having a scripting problem I think. Would really appreciate any help.

Can you use more than one applymovement script in one map.
    I have two very similar scripts.
    One has worked fine.
    Spoiler:

But the second the sprite doesn't move.
    Spoiler:

Ok since I posted this I have been attempting methods of fixing this.
    I added a new person event and script to AMaps.
    I copied over all the info of other events to new ones.
    In the script I changed the person event number for movements and hidesprite.
    I changed the flag.
    In AMaps I also changed the person id to same as the flag.
    So basically I copied everything over to the new event and script and made the necessary changes to the script.
    And now it works.
    I have had this problem with other scripts and for some reason they don't work on certain event numbers.
    Any idea why?

Last edited:

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • Hi I am having a scripting problem I think. Would really appreciate any help.

Can you use more than one applymovement script in one map.
    I have two very similar scripts.
    One has worked fine.
    Spoiler:

But the second the sprite doesn't move.
    Spoiler:

Ok since I posted this I have been attempting methods of fixing this.
    I added a new person event and script to AMaps.
    I copied over all the info of other events to new ones.
    In the script I changed the person event number for movements and hidesprite.
    I changed the flag.
    In AMaps I also changed the person id to same as the flag.
    So basically I copied everything over to the new event and script and made the necessary changes to the script.
    And now it works.
    I have had this problem with other scripts and for some reason they don't work on certain event numbers.
    Any idea why?

Did the second script continue on but the OW didn't move? If so, it'd be because the applymovement command and the OW person event numbers didn't match up.

Years
  • Did the second script continue on but the OW didn't move? If so, it'd be because the applymovement command and the OW person event numbers didn't match up.

No I definitely triple checked that plus once the script was done the sprite was hidden and if you check the script hidesprite and applymovement have the same event number.
    It's not a big issue for me I just used another event and moved the old one to a corner of the map out of sight. I've had the same issue with something a simple as a give item from pokeball script. Where I've used another event number and it has worked fine. Looks like some of my scripts don't like certain event numbers. lol. I must be making a mistake somewhere or its a bug with AMaps. If any one knows of any other reason why this might be happening I'm all ears.

Years
  • Hey guys! I have been following diegoisawesome's XSE tutorial trying to make and insert my first script. Here is what I've done so far:
    Spoiler:

After clicking "Compile", I get the screenshot (see attachment) and am unsure what to do. The log puts out as follows:
    Spoiler:

Help is always greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

EDIT: Resolved. I copied the offset for @start and repointed the person event there. Worked like a charm!

Last edited:

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Hey guys! I have been following diegoisawesome's XSE tutorial trying to make and insert my first script. Here is what I've done so far:
    Spoiler:

After clicking "Compile", I get the screenshot (see attachment) and am unsure what to do. The log puts out as follows:
    Spoiler:

Help is always greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)
    You see that "@start" and then the offset next to it? Copy that offset (should be the FSF offset) and paste it over the script box in AdvanceMap. By the way, you should always use something like "#dynamic 0x800000" (most often used) or just "#dynamic 0x000000". What that directive does is tell XSE to start looking for freespace from that offset, meaning it will automatically find enough free space for you and put the script there. Just make sure you copy the offset it gives you for @start, otherwise good luck finding the script.
    Edit: By the way, I just noticed you're using Emerald. Use something like "#dynamic 0x900000" for that, because it's probably the most frail game there is and by that I mean sound corruption. Actually, I'm not an Emerald hacker myself, so just use FSF I guess.

Years
  • You see that "@start" and then the offset next to it? Copy that offset (should be the FSF offset) and paste it over the script box in AdvanceMap. By the way, you should always use something like "#dynamic 0x800000" (most often used) or just "#dynamic 0x000000". What that directive does is tell XSE to start looking for freespace from that offset, meaning it will automatically find enough free space for you and put the script there. Just make sure you copy the offset it gives you for @start, otherwise good luck finding the script.
    Edit: By the way, I just noticed you're using Emerald. Use something like "#dynamic 0x900000" for that, because it's probably the most frail game there is and by that I mean sound corruption. Actually, I'm not an Emerald hacker myself, so just use FSF I guess.

I followed your advice and copied the @start offset, then pasted it over the script offset box. As for sound corruption, I keep backups of "stable" ROMs in case something goes wrong. Awesome tips with dynamic offsets as well, FSF was coming up with 0x9XXXXX offsets for free space anyway, so I could probably stick with #dynamic 0x900000 for future script edits. :) Thank you!

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I followed your advice and copied the @start offset, then pasted it over the script offset box. As for sound corruption, I keep backups of "stable" ROMs in case something goes wrong. Awesome tips with dynamic offsets as well, FSF was coming up with 0x9XXXXX offsets for free space anyway, so I could probably stick with #dynamic 0x900000 for future script edits. :) Thank you!

Since you're using Emerald, it's best to use the command 'freespace 0xFF' after the #dynamic command to ensure that the correct type of freespace is used.

Years
  • Since you're using Emerald, it's best to use the command 'freespace 0xFF' after the #dynamic command to ensure that the correct type of freespace is used.

I just gave it a try, but I'm getting an error: "Too many parameters on line 2"

Here's the new script:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • I just gave it a try, but I'm getting an error: "Too many parameters on line 2"

Here's the new script:
    Spoiler:

It seems like you're using an outdated version of XSE. I recommend you download version 1.1.1: https://www.mediafire.com/download/8qe70zzp45bjf91/Unofficial_XSE.zip

edit: my bad, I automatically assumed the parameter overflow problem was with the msgbox line. Still, it's best to ensure you're on the right version of XSE,

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I just gave it a try, but I'm getting an error: "Too many parameters on line 2"

Here's the new script:
    Spoiler:

The issue is that #dynamic and #freespace are separate commands.

Do it like this:
    Code:
    #dynamic 0xE00000
    #freespace 0xFF

:)

And like Spherical said, be sure to make sure you use XSE 1.1.1.

Years
  • It seems like you're using an outdated version of XSE. I recommend you download version 1.1.1: https://www.mediafire.com/download/8qe70zzp45bjf91/Unofficial_XSE.zip

edit: my bad, I automatically assumed the parameter overflow problem was with the msgbox line. Still, it's best to ensure you're on the right version of XSE,

I downloaded and installed, but got the same error. Is there something wrong with the first line of my script?

EDIT: Didn't see Lost Heart's post before posting. sorry

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back