• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Seasons

Years
    Something I've always wanted for a Pokémon game --apart from the ugly 4th gen Pokémon to dissapear-- is the presence of seasons.

What ideas would you throw in? How could seasons affect the game, with parameters such as:

• The appearance of Pokémon
    • Season exclusive Pokémon
    • Season exclusive events
    • Location (migration) of Pokémon
    • Battle modifiers (ex. Sunny Day in Summer) increased in strength,
    • Areas [where battles can be] prone to weather changes (roughly like the rain areas in R/S)

This is something the next handhelds *could* bear. Pray for it.

Share your opinons.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    That would be an amazing gameplay idea for the Pokemon games. Like you stated the seasons could have weather effects. Spring is Rain Dance, summer is Sunny Day, winter is Hail, and autumn is just.. There as usual. It could also have certain wild Pokemon such as winter could just have Ice Pokemon and nothing else.

This'll be harder for people trying to catch all the Pokemon since they have to be on during that specific season.

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    That's an awesome idea. I sure hope they implement this into future pokemon games.

But, how long would each season last? If it's 1 month, that would be too long, I think. If it's 1 week, that would be too short, imo. I think it'd be best if each season would last 2 weeks. What do you think?

Oh, and it would be awesome if Shellos/Gastrodon's form would change each season. ^^
    I wonder what their other forms would look like. But other than that, I don't see how other Pokemon's appearance would change.

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    Well, if the length of the seasons are based on real-life, it would be too long, imo...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Seasons would be a nice feature to see, I agree. Mightn't be that easy to control though - instead of assigning weather to certain routes, it requires more work and all, I suppose - leastways, if they went and on top of it made weather change all over the place - random rain or sun in towns, for instance. But if someone plays the game in different places (for instance, in Australia it's summer when it's winter in the northern heisphere), than it would have to somehow take that into account and use weather for the people who live on the other side of the world and hence experiance different weather at different times.

Then there's the fact that seasons don't start and stop on exact dates - they gradually change, so one would, unless they code cleverly and all (and by then we'd be talking a fair bit of coding/memory), it'd have to go without some of that. =/ But a neat idea all the same, and one I wouldn't mind seeing if done right.

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    That would be a great idea. But tbh, I don't really see how pokemon's (except Shellos/Gastrodon and Castform) can change.

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
    It'd be nice if it detected where you were and changed the season accordingly. So instead of waiting you can just fly to the other side of the world. It would just be a nice, little feature.
    They could make some 5th gen Pokemon change with the weather and Castform found in the wild.
    The migration idea is awesome ^^

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    If there are seasons in the Pokémon games, then I would like Pokémons prone to certain elements, such as Dragons to Ice, hibernate in deep, dark caves where it would be hard to find them? That, or the decreased appearance of Grass Pokémons in the winter?

The appearance of seasons should be at least two weeks or one month. I know if the majority of Pokémon players would have the attention span to wait three months for a change in season. Most would beat the game in a week and complete their Pokédex in a couple of days.

I don't if this is possible, even eligible for being part of the gaming system, but maybe there should be new trainers for each season in different spot differing from the season? For example, more swimmer trainers would be spotted in the water?

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    BHwolfgang said:
    If there are seasons in the Pokémon games, then I would like Pokémons prone to certain elements, such as Dragons to Ice, hibernate in deep, dark caves where it would be hard to find them? That, or the decreased appearance of Grass Pokémons in the winter?

Something I've always wanted for a Pokémon game --apart from the ugly 4th gen Pokémon to dissapear-- is the presence of seasons.

What ideas would you throw in? How could seasons affect the game, with parameters such as:

• The appearance of Pokémon
    • Season exclusive Pokémon
    • Season exclusive events
    • Location (migration) of Pokémon
    • Battle modifiers (ex. Sunny Day in Summer) increased in strength,
    • Areas [where battles can be] prone to weather changes (roughly like the rain areas in R/S)

Share your opinons.

BHwolfgang said:
    The appearance of seasons should be at least two weeks or one month. I know if the majority of Pokémon players would have the attention span to wait three months for a change in season. Most would beat the game in a week and complete their Pokédex in a couple of days.

Yes, I agree, each season should probably last two weeks.
    As I said, if the length of the seasons are based on real-life, it would be too long, imo.
    I'm sure almost no one would want to wait for 2 months or so.

BHwolfgang said:
    I don't if this is possible, even eligible for being part of the gaming system, but maybe there should be new trainers for each season in different spot differing from the season? For example, more swimmer trainers would be spotted in the water?

That's a great idea. That way, it would be more of a challenge for people to complete the pokedex.
    But I think that it would be quite hard for people to implement that into the game. Not that I know anything about ROM hacking and such, though. It may be possible. ^^.

DarthWaffles

IS A FIRIN' HIS LAZAR
    Years
    Seasons sound like a great idea in Pokemon, but finding a suitable time-frame for each season would be hard. If made real-time, then it could mean that one player would have to wait a whole year to catch one Pokemon they missed last time. But anything less then 1-month seems a bit short and unrealistic for a season.

But I'm praying they come up with something.

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    It would be better if there were only a little exclusive pokemon each season, so players don't have to wait 1 whole year to catch one Pokemon they missed last time.

Now that I realize it, I take back what I said that each season should last 2 weeks, probably 2 months will be alright.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    the season Pokemon will be kinda weird because you'll have to wait how many months for a certain Pokemon?. But weather effects are better though

:t354:TG
    Well, it doesn't have to be months for a season to change, possibly a week or two?

Seasons is a very clever idea in pokémon. Although i think it would be very hard to programm it into the games and stuff. Also it would be kinda pointless/useless :D.
    It happened in Animal Crossing, it could happen again!

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
    It would be a lot better if just certain areas would be affected, if Winter=Hail everywhere it wouldn't be fun to play Pokémon at all during Winter, since i don't have a single Ice-type in any of my teams in any game "/

And certain NPC's that only appears/changes during certain days :)
    Like Santa Claus or something only appearing during christmas ;P

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

[S-HIGHLIGHT]The appearance of Pokémon
    Season exclusive Pokémon
    Season exclusive events
    Location (migration) of Pokémon
    Battle modifiers (ex. Sunny Day in Summer) increased in strength,
    Areas [where battles can be] prone to weather changes (roughly like the rain areas in R/S)
    [/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Share your opinons.

The features mentioned here would be interesting to see...

It would be a lot better if just certain areas would be affected, if Winter=Hail everywhere it wouldn't be fun to play Pokémon at all during Winter, since i don't have a single Ice-type in any of my teams in any game "/
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]
    And certain NPC's that only appears/changes during certain days :)
    Like Santa Claus or something only appearing during christmas ;P[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Now that would be awesome! Kind of like how the Berry Master makes occasional appearances in Lilycove Contest Hall, kicking out the old man that's usually there, lol.

• Winter could have Santa Claus
    • Spring could have Erika, Gardenia, and/or Cheryl make a nice cameo in another region! :)
    • Summer could have...I don't know, surfer dudes and dudettes at a beach? :\ Brawly would make a good cameo!
    • Fall could have...a turkey Pokemon? Idk.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]I don't if this is possible, even eligible for being part of the gaming system, but maybe there should be new trainers for each season in different spot differing from the season? For example, more swimmer trainers would be spotted in the water?[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

New Trainers for each season could be cool. I'd like it if the game had NPCs celebrating seasonal holidays like Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Mother's/Father's Day, Independence Day of your country (maybe), Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day, having costume parties/harvest days in October, etc.
    NPCs could also celebrate Spring Break, Summer Break, Thanksgiving Break, and Winter Break for half of the durations of the breaks' respective seasons (you don't get a break the whole season... :() 2 weeks would be manageable for a season's duration; not too long; not too short.

And if I recall correctly, during speculation on Pokemon Platinum, someone suggested if Nintendo made four Legendary Pokemon, one to symbolize each season. I think that would be cool to see, since Nintendo has done a few weather-oriented Legendary Pokemon in the past.
    I don't know how you would split the 4 Seasonal Legendary Pokemon across 3 game versions, though...unless Nintendo surprised us with a 4th game that deviates radically from the storyline of the other 3 games, even the 3rd version enhancement.

You could also have a Pokemon that changes form and type purely based on Season, rather than Weather. It could be a Legendary Pokemon or non-Legendary.

For season typings of the 4 different Season Legendary Pokemon or the one that changes forme:

• Spring could be a dual-type Water/Grass forme.
    • Summer could be a dual-type Fire/Water forme. (Fire for heat, Water for summer storms as well as hurricanes that usually spawn during that time.)
    • Autumn could be a dual-type Fire/Grass forme. Grass for sure due to the leaves; Fire is debatable (though Autumn seems like a red/green season to me.) Otherwise, either a dual-type Fire/Bug or a pure Grass-type could work...
    • Winter would be a pure Ice-type forme. Grass/Ice would've worked better due to Christmas, but I don't want a repeat of Abomasnow...
    I'll probably quote the Platinum speculation post I'm referring to later; that post had much better typing/seasonal Pokemon ideas than mine...

In any case, implementing seasons in Pokemon games would be a really cool feature! :D

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    [*]Autumn could be a dual-type Fire/Grass forme. Grass for sure due to the leaves; Fire is debatable (though Autumn seems like a red/green season to me.) Otherwise, either a dual-type Fire/Bug or a pure Grass-type could work...
    [*]

Well if you live in California then it makes complete sense :P

Back