• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Share game tips, tricks, and guides here!

Years
  • Take note of where Pokemon spawn on the map if you live in a residential area/somewhere not very crowded. Those locations (for me, at least), seem to never change, and continuously respawn every 30 or 60 minutes.

Still testing it, but this way if a strong Pokemon/one I haven't seen before pops up on my map I can just walk straight to it

I've been using it to track tough Pokemon, because a lot of tough pokemon come to one particular spot in my neighbourhood :) !
    I've also noticed that some spots seem to have repeats show up. There's a bridge that always seems to have a Psyduck or Magikarp spawn at the exact same point. There's also a house in my neighborhood that seems to be a fairly common place for things to appear. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was normal for the game, but then again it could be coincidence.

Checkchiron

PokeArtist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Trick to capture a Pokémon in one go

There's apparently a trick to guarantee a pokémon capture.

You have to hold on to the pokeball and throw it right after the Pokémon does it's happy emote.
    For example: After Squirtle did his peace sign. And some other Pokémon jump upwards when they do their emotes.

The source is down here on reddit (LINK)

I haven't really had a chance to test it but I will when I go out again as there's no Pokémon around my house at the moment

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2016
    I heard that to find what direction a pokemon is you select it in the pokemon nearby window so its the only one showing then scroll your screen in a circle slowly and when the compass needle is pointing in the direction of the selected pokemon it will flash a green light, i tried this and i got it to work, (with my wifi at home, my phone is too bad to process the signal fast enough on 4g though)

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    This is how tracking works.

Go into tracking and select whichever pokemon you want to track/find, regardless of the number of footprints.
    Either use a compass unless you already know which direction is north.
    Face north with your phone extended out in front of you while you are looking at the screen.
    Press the compass needle on your screen.
    Your character should now also be facing north, if not press the compass needle again.
    Slowly move/rotate your body either clockwise or counter clockwise while holding your phone in front of you.
    Your character should move at the same speed you are moving.
    As soon as the tracking box in the bottom right flashes/blinks then stop moving.
    That is the direction that the pokemon you want to track is in.
    Walk in that direction.
    3 footprints mean you will be walking further than 2 or 1 footprint.
    The exact distance that you need to walk in corelation to the number of footprints may be found on any number of sites, I don't recal it off the top of my head...

hope that helps :)

Years
  • EXP boosting:
    Don't just evolve Pokémon one at a time whenever you can. Save them all and bulk evolve with a Lucky Egg active. If you're at the point where you have a dozen Beedrills or Pidgeots, continue to catch Pidgeys and Weedles and use the excess candy you accumulate to bulk evolve them, then transfer the secondary stage.

Just between yesterday and this morning, I'm sitting on ~140 Rattata candies with 8 Rattatas waiting in the wings. At this very moment, I can evolve five Rattatas. With a Lucky Egg active, that would be 5,000 EXP right off the bat. That adds up fast across different types of Pokémon.

Gym Runs:
    If you're going to rely on "play-to-win" methods to obtain coins (rather than pay-to-win) for purchasing consumables, then you're going to have to build an economy. Each day (usually at the end of the day after work), I would gather a few friends on my team to initiate a "gym run," meaning we drive around town taking out and leveling up gyms. The more people we have, the faster the process and generally the longer the gyms will last.

As soon as the run is complete, which in my case could range from 3-5 gyms, turn in the rewards immediately at the shop. In hotspots, gyms don't tend to last long at all. Even level 6+ gyms can go down in less than an hour if challengers are coordinated with high level teams. This obviously varies depending on the size of your town/city. Since I'm in a densely populated metropolitan area, every gym is highly contested and exchanges hands multiple times every hour. That's why I pick times when fewer people are active and groups of us execute a fast takeover while the window of opportunity is available.

Question about exp boosting: What's a lucky egg? You're saying if I don't evolve a Pokemon as soon as I can but catch a couple more so I have a bunch of them, then activate the lucky egg and then evolve the pokemon? Should I keep let's say rattatas and not transfer them for candy in order to focus on evolving one of them, or have several evolved rattatas? What should I do?

Question about the gym runs: so you gather actual people in 3d who are in the same team as you and you drive to gyms trying to take them over? Or is it like a team you join within the pokémon go app?

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • Question about exp boosting: What's a lucky egg? You're saying if I don't evolve a Pokemon as soon as I can but catch a couple more so I have a bunch of them, then activate the lucky egg and then evolve the pokemon? Should I keep let's say rattatas and not transfer them for candy in order to focus on evolving one of them, or have several evolved rattatas? What should I do?

Question about the gym runs: so you gather actual people in 3d who are in the same team as you and you drive to gyms trying to take them over? Or is it like a team you join within the pokémon go app?
    A lucky egg is an item that doubles the XP you receive for one half-hour. So, if you save up a bunch of Rattatta instead of transferring them, you could then evolve them all at once. Evolving Pokémon nets you quite a bit of experience, and doing so while having a lucky egg initiated will double that. It's a nice little trick to get your trainer level up; I've done it a few times. Just be aware that lucky eggs don't come around that often, so use them wisely. Unless you plan on purchasing them.

What he means by taking down gyms with a team, is to physically round up a few friends who are on your team (Valor, Instinct, Mystic) and systematically wittle away the opposing gym's prestige. It's a good technique if you have the people and the time. There's currently no option to rally people within the app itself.

Years
  • Worked hard to put together this in-depth Pokemon GO Trainer's Guide, for both beginners and advanced players! It covers just about everything there is to know about Pokemon GO, and even threw in a bit of humor that hopefully gets at least a chuckle out of you. Please check it out, let me know what you think, and help me on my #QuestForSnorlax! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRRb-_Iq4Zc

Last edited:
    Years
  • A lucky egg is an item that doubles the XP you receive for one half-hour. So, if you save up a bunch of Rattatta instead of transferring them, you could then evolve them all at once. Evolving Pokémon nets you quite a bit of experience, and doing so while having a lucky egg initiated will double that. It's a nice little trick to get your trainer level up; I've done it a few times. Just be aware that lucky eggs don't come around that often, so use them wisely. Unless you plan on purchasing them.

What he means by taking down gyms with a team, is to physically round up a few friends who are on your team (Valor, Instinct, Mystic) and systematically wittle away the opposing gym's prestige. It's a good technique if you have the people and the time. There's currently no option to rally people within the app itself.

Thanks for explaining! How do I get lucky eggs? Is it from the pokepoints?

Zet

Years
  • I suppose this is more of a tip so it goes here, but it's wise not to cheat in Pokemon GO. Niantic already has some devious maneuvers just in case you feel like spoofing your GPS location.
    Hopefully they will be more lenient on people with disabilities preventing them from going out and exploring. As long as people aren't teleporting all over the world in unbelievable time frames, it should be fine to spoof. It would also be helpful for people in rural areas with literally nothing there for them.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Pok?mon Go on Nexus 7 with Wi-Fi

When you view Pok?mon Go in the Google Play store on a Nexus 7 tablet (2012 or 2013), it says that it's not supported. Just letting people know if they don't already that the app does work. Download the APK for somewhere reputable (I got it off APKMirror), manually install it, and as far as I can tell it works fine.

If you're in an area with good Wi-Fi, like a college campus, you don't really need a smartphone or data plan either. I've found a few Pok?mon nearby already, and apparently there's a gym not far off. I did not expect to be this excited over catching a Pidgey, but it's different when it's literally on the ground in front of you. :)

Years
  • Pokemon GO Mythbuster: Egg Hatching Ceiling Fan Hack

After watching a few videos of people claiming that you can use a ceiling fan as a "hack" to hatch eggs, without ever moving yourself or leaving your home, I decided to put the claim to the test!

Using the ceiling fan in one of the bedrooms in my house, I used electrical tape and fastened it to the end of one of the blades, and let it run at three different speeds (low, medium, high). I then checked the distance traveled after each speed was tested for 10 minutes.

Check the video out to see the result! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4OIA1wX-eM

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Have just seen a lot of discussion about the time of day related to Pokémon sightings - apparently there is no correlation at all between the time and what kind of Pokémon will spawn. Zubat and Gastly are day-dwellers too! What was interesting however is that apparently there are many spots where a certain species of Pokémon will spawn every single day at the same time. Look out for these!

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Yes, the gyms are easily conquer and defended in group. However u dont need to group, people are actually doing in on their own.

Back