• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
  • This looks to be intended to be used as a base to work on, right? Since it does seem kind of a waste to make good AI when the vanilla bosses have such awful teams...

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • That's not within the future scope. The long-term plan is to eventually tether most every feature to an assembler tag. This will allow people to custom compile to their own tastes with little to no assembly knowledge required. For example, the current development repos have this implemented with battle sprites, the female trainer, and metric values.

Sweet, that sounds really cool and I can't wait for it.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Also i dont know if this was changed. But again on the third floor of the celadon dept store, the flyer's should say "Red and Green both are Pokemon"

Aye, confirmed that it stays "Red and Green" for japanese blue as well.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2023
    Just found this and i am loving it, amazing work. Sorry if this has been asked before, but i couldnt find an answer. How do trade evolutions work?

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    So here's a new thing I've been messing with.

For the past few versions, I've been using the RNG code that was used in Prism and Polished Crystal. It's been very good for what I needed it to do; be a better RNG than the incredibly simplistic vanilla implementation. But I've decided that it's a little too heavy duty for what this rom hack needs, and it has some features that I'm never going to utilize.

I'm replacing it with a pretty good xor-shift implementation. It doesn't pass all of the diehard pseudorandom tests, but I'm not exactly generating rogue-like maps here. The quality is still very good. And the best part is that it is quite fast. Much faster than the Prism RNG. This is important when it's getting run 60 times per second at minimum. Another plus is that all my memory read-writes can be done with 4 hram bytes, and it remembers the last three numbers generated.

I've set it so that all the seed bytes come from random garbage in hram when the game gets initialize on power-up. Ever get frustrated with the RNG screwing you a lot which causes you to flail at the gameboy buttons and turn the power off? Yeah, that will actually do something now; it will generate new seed values for the RNG and hopefully give you a better run of luck.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Hey, I'm wondering what's the point of sleep and freeze clauses, I got what it does but not why it's here, I'm a hardcore player and I'm setting up all the options to make it harder, does applying both clauses is supposed to increase the difficult?

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Something i recently found on the Tcrf discord. The hole in the trashed house in Cerulean city should say this: > There's a hole in the wall!
    > You can go outside here!

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Hey, I'm wondering what's the point of sleep and freeze clauses, I got what it does but not why it's here, I'm a hardcore player and I'm setting up all the options to make it harder, does applying both clauses is supposed to increase the difficult?

Sleep and Freeze are very powerful status conditions in gen-1 to the point of being easily abused.
    • Freeze had no random chance to thaw. It was effectively a K.O. unless you could weasel your way out of it.
    • Sleep could last up to 7 turns. A pokemon's sleep counter was preserved when switched out and would not decrement while inside its pokeball.
    It was possible to cheese your opponent with these conditions and also be cheesed right back. Using a Parasect with Spore (100% accuracy) to put an entire team to sleep was a common example. Or even just being the unlucky recipient of multiple Ice Beams.

Sleep and Freeze clauses don't alter difficulty per se. You cannot abuse these conditions against the AI, so in that way it's a little harder. But it's also a little easier since AI also cannot abuse the conditions against you. It comes down to personal preference.

Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Something i recently found on the Tcrf discord. The hole in the trashed house in Cerulean city should say this: > There's a hole in the wall!
    > You can go outside here!

Over 20 years later and I had no idea that there was dialogue for this exit. Confirmed that Team Rocket will use breaching charges to burglarize your house over a TM.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Ok! So, I have not to worry about report any text issues in the Pokedex? And for curiosity, how much time it usually takes for the dev patches be released for the public?

I'm having too much fun playing this hack, this improved AI + hard settings + randomizer is the definitive Gen 1 experience in my opinion. I'll probably be playing the Red (J) Blue (J) and Green for the next 2 years. This hack have the potential to be my favorite Pokemon hack of all time, but I still need to play until the very end to confirm this.

Amazing work done so far! I love how it tries to improve the game difficulty without changing too much the vanilla experience. Please, keep up this great work! I'll try to contribute reporting any issue I can find.

Years
  • It was possible to cheese your opponent with these conditions and also be cheesed right back. Using a Parasect with Spore (100% accuracy) to put an entire team to sleep was a common example. Or even just being the unlucky recipient of multiple Ice Beams.

though Parasect sometimes may not use Spore as the first move and the opponent might attack first since Parasect is a slow pokemon with weak speed stats (unless given a lot of carbos). wouldn't want to use parasect against flying & fire types

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Ok! So, I have not to worry about report any text issues in the Pokedex?

I think I got everything that was related to apostraphes. Let me know if any other characters are wrong (such as text going outside the window).

And for curiosity, how much time it usually takes for the dev patches be released for the public?

I used to do it about every month, but v1.24 is going to be a big update. I've decided to do another full playthrough before I release it just for playtesting everything (viewable on Youtube). I've already found and fixed a number of problems doing this. It also gives me time to receive bug reports and player feedback.

I'm having too much fun playing this hack, this improved AI + hard settings + randomizer is the definitive Gen 1 experience in my opinion. I'll probably be playing the Red (J) Blue (J) and Green for the next 2 years. This hack have the potential to be my favorite Pokemon hack of all time, but I still need to play until the very end to confirm this. Amazing work done so far! I love how it tries to improve the game difficulty without changing too much the vanilla experience. Please, keep up this great work!

Glad you're enjoying it.

I'll try to contribute reporting any issue I can find.

Please do.

though Parasect sometimes may not use Spore as the first move and the opponent might attack first since Parasect is a slow pokemon with weak speed stats (unless given a lot of carbos). wouldn't want to use parasect against flying & fire types

Reminds me of the cruel goddess that was Agatha a few versions back. I had to specifically alter the AI just to keep her from putting everything to sleep with perfect play.

Years
    • Seen today
    How do I evolve trademons in this? also do I have the latest version? i'm a little overwhelemed by all the text I've been reading for this hack and I'm not even sure if I have the latest version..it says v.1.23m?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    How do I evolve trademons in this? also do I have the latest version? i'm a little overwhelemed by all the text I've been reading for this hack and I'm not even sure if I have the latest version..it says v.1.23m?

Trademons evolve by trade as usual or at level 45. Whichever comes first.

1.23M is the latest release. There is also a beta-test patch in the master_dev branch that has some bugfixes and new features but is still being playtested.

Back